WHat are these strong OTA signals with no program?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Ben I, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Ben I

Ben I New Member

Feb 19, 2020
    I've recently noticed that the OTA Channel Scan detects many channels with high signal strength (80-100) but the screen inset is just blank - there is no program. Is this just a fluke of the tuner or some kind of carrier signal without any data? Or something else? It does seem that there are just one or two "Frequencies" that show this way on various N-M channel combinations.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In Diagnostics, each tuner has a channel number, program number and frequency. With that data and:
    Pan-American television frequencies - Wikipedia
    it's possible to compute the physical channel number. Then you can use your TV to scan for channels and use its diagnostics to find that frequency and what virtual channel it corresponds to and from that get its call letters. Look up those call letters with Wiki or the FCC to get their phone number and ask them. While a carrier without data is unusual, somebody is paying to broadcast that carrier.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  3. rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    I'm guessing that most of these are thanks to the repack (e.g. stations sending out a carrier, for testing purposes, on their new frequency prior to their actual switchover.)

4. Ben I

Ben I New Member

Feb 19, 2020
    I hope so. More strong signals would be a plus.

5. Ben I

Ben I New Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Thanks for your suggestion. These "empty" signals actually show call signs on the signal strength display, so there's no need to go through the discovery process you described - and I couldn't follow it that well anyhow ;)

6. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Lot of those around here long before repack, have wondered about it myself.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I was suggesting the Diagnostics, not the signal strength display:
    ch502-1.JPG

The channel shown is (if OTA) physically 14.1.

8. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    And the data (TV Programming) can be closed (only selected authourization) so the public can't access the A/V, as well as testing by wireless carriers and "first responders" for whom these re-pack frequencies are inteneded. It could also be that these "blank" channels/frequencies are being re-mapped to other virtual channels which are in the clear and open for viewing on those re-mapped virtual channels. I just LOVE all this digital era house of smoke and mirrors.