What are the specs on the PS for the WD 500GB My DVR Expander? Anyone got an extra?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by raiden256, Mar 16, 2011.

1. raiden256

raiden256 Member

Mar 30, 2002

Advertisements

Just bought a TiVoHD from a guy. Was also supposed to buy a 500GB expander from him, but he couldn't find the power supply so he just threw it in for free. Now I'm looking to get a new power supply, but don't know the specs I need.

Can someone help? Also, anyone got a dead expander but want to get rid of their power supply? :D

2. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I was one of those guys who was fearful of upgrading my TiVoHD and went with a 500gb expander. Once it died (they all do), it was time to take the plunge.

I found the process to be quite easy. My only "trouble" was getting a screw out of the TiVo after I dropped it in the middle of the dang thing.

With the way the process is now, its so easy, even for me. I would recommend an upgrade over an expander.....

3. raiden256

raiden256 Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Yeah, I've done upgrades on all the TiVos I've ever had, including three HDs. The expander was free though, so I figured if I knew the specs and had a PS lying around...

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

That link Allanon posted

http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...goryID.13096000/parid.13092600/catid.13096000

shows it to be an 18 Watt unit, and the connector is a 2 wire (hot + ground) plug, so it's a single voltage output.

Replacement units on Amazon and elsewhere are advertised as 12V, which makes sense, since the drive inside probably uses either just +12V, or +12V and +5V, which the enclosure can derive from that +12V input.

Check the power input jack on the enclosure and see if there's a graphic that shows polarity. It's probably + on the dot in the center and - on the circle around it, which is negative ground, but it's a good idea to be sure before you run 18 Watts through there backwards and let the magic smoke out.

18 Watts divided by 12 Volts means a 12V, 1.5 or 2.0 Amp supply should work just fine.

You should probably not use it on a Tivo and connect it to a computer instead and use TiVo Desktop to let the computer copy your recordings to it as a backup that won't be lost if your internal Tivo drive gets scrambled, which they have a nasty habit of doing without warning.