What are the odds?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by newswatcher, Jul 13, 2011.

1. newswatcher

newswatcher Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Modesto, CA
    In Eureka S04E11 "Liftoff" and in the Warehouse 13 S03E01 "The New Guy" there were references to two lines from what Peter Sellers movie (not movies but movie)? Clues: Andrew, and the new guy meeting the 13 gang. What are the odds that two lines from the very same Sellers' movie would be inserted in the dialog of two series openers? Pretty remote I think...

Anyone else catch them? I've seen that Sellers' movie many, many times and almost know the dialog by heart; these lines were prominent in the movie BTW.

2. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I haven't seen either show, but I assume it's Dr. Strangelove. What else could it be?

3. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I didn't see Eureka, but I remember a Dr. Strangelove reference in Heroes. When they went to retrieve the Kensei sword the catalog number was CRM-114.

4. newswatcher

newswatcher Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Modesto, CA
    OK, it wasn't "Dr. Strangelove"...rather "The Party (1968)." In Eureka when Andrew, the robot, got on Carter's horse (in Eureka) he said "Howdy, Pardner" which was in the scene(s) with Denny Miller ("Wyoming Bill Kelso") when Sellers' character "Hrundi" used this line since Kelso used it all the time in his westerns; and, in Warehouse 13, when Peter (Eddie McClintock) was arguing with the new guy, Steve, he inserted "Birdy Num Nums" in the dialog which comes from the scene in The Party where Hrundi (Sellers) is feeding the party's hosts' parrot. I watched "The Party" (yet again since it is one of my favorites of all time) on July 7th (I always watch this movie each year during the first week of July since "the party" takes place in the movie on July 8th).

5. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Did he have a 3-wheeled car in that movie? I think I remember seeing it a looong time ago.

6. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I can see "Birdy Num Nums" being deliberate, but "Howdy, Pardner" seems cliche enough that it for it to be a specific reference seems to be a stretch.