What are my options? No cable. OTA? Dish?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mikeb33, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Dec 6, 2020 #1 of 14
    mikeb33

mikeb33 Hanger Arounder

Dec 10, 2001

Advertisements

I have 2 homes. Main home has Xfinity cable and I have Roamio Plus and 4 older minis. 2nd home is rural and no cable is offered. I have 20mbps DSL for internet and I have a rooftop antenna and get quite a few channels that look really good. The channel guides in my Samsung TVs(3 rooms) are really lacking and slow to load.
    I bought a Edge OTA yesterday and connected it on my main set and it scanned and brought up all my channels. Worked awesome just like my home Tivo. I also brought along one of my Minis that I wasn't using but it won't connect with the new Edge. Further reading it seems that minis are compatible with the "Edge Series", but not the OTA one. Seems like I would need the newer Mini LUX and a compatible 4 tuner Tivo. The current Edge is 2 tuner so I need a Roamio 4 tuner? I can only find these used though. I am returning the Edge I just got and need to decide where to go now. A refurbished Roamio and 2 Mini LUXs will cost $700 to watch free TV.
    Maybe I should get a dish? I tried searching for pricing and comparison of services but the new is so polluted with ads and bull for Satellite TV it's hard to discern whats what. One of my favorite Tivo features is pausing in one room and resuming in another. Anybody know if satellite offers this?

2. Dec 6, 2020 #2 of 14
    MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Just a suggestion but is your Mini current with software updates and is running TE4? I never heard that older Minis are not compatible with the OTA edge but nothing would surprise me with "todays" Tivo. I am not sure if 20 MBPS is enough to stream YouTube TV but that may be a good option for you to consider. No contracts and local channels are available also.

3. Dec 6, 2020 #3 of 14
    dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    If you have a spare computer collecting dust, buy a hdhomerun quatro network OTA tuner. Eve the Duo might do the trick for less.

The computer acts as the server for the Channels DVR app. You can use any cheap streaming device pretty much. The TS4k does work well though.

With the Channels app, you can add your xfinity login to it via TV Everywhere. It'll add your cable channels to the OTA lineup. So now you've got cable and OTA on one channel guide.

If you like the setup you can buy a cheap mini pc with a celeron j4xx processor and about 6-8gb of ram. Some come with a 128gb SSD and you can add a 2.5 drive to it strictly for storage.

So your total outlay if you like the setup is about $200 for the computer and streamer. Channels DVR is $80 per year. A lot cheaper than paying for cable in two places.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

4. Dec 6, 2020 #4 of 14
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    All indications are that all Mini versions should work with the EDGE for Antenna models, including the 2-tuner model. The host DVR exclusion is still in place for 2-tuner Premieres, but a Mini should work with your EDGE.

It's possible you're just suffering from some other Mini connectivity, account or software issue (e.g.).

What are the specific symptoms that you're seeing that indicate that your Mini cannot work w/ your EDGE?

NOTE also, that upgrading your Mini to work with your EDGE, requiring the Mini to run the TE4 software version, may result in a Mini unusable with a TE3 host DVR ... given an ongoing problem associated with A92/A93 Mini downgrades from TE4-to-TE3. See here: Trying to Move Mini from TE4 host to a TE3 Host

5. Dec 6, 2020 #5 of 14
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Unless that Edge is special, four tuner TiVo is needed to host a Mini.

6. Dec 6, 2020 #6 of 14
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Per the 2-TUNER EDGE OTA OBSERVATIONS thread, a 2-tuner EDGE for ANTENNA *can* act as a Mini host DVR:

Live TV may be aggravating much of the time, I expect.

The 2-tuner Premiere is still excluded, for whatever reason ... though the exclusion hasn't been justifiable since TiVo switched the Minis to dynamic tuner allocation.

7. Dec 6, 2020 #7 of 14
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This is my situation also. Comcast in Houston with lots of TiVos, but no wired service at our ranch. I use DirecTV there. It's not even close to the cheapest option, but is far and away the easiest and best option. DirecTV has lots of channels (almost all HD), a very decent DVR (Genie), and I haven't had any significant issues in 15 years. And yes, if you stop watching a recording in one room, it resumes at your pause point anywhere else you watch it. I have one Genie, and three DirecTV Minis (1 wired, 2 wireless), so four TVs.

[Aside: I tend to record the same shows at both locations, so I can watch anything I regularly watch (my Season Passes, so to speak) at either location]

Also, even though I have decent Internet (25Mbps wireless) at our ranch, I don't activate the smart TV features, nor do I allow DirecTV to know I have Internet (I force it to use the satellite). Using either really bogs it down, and not sure why. I do have multiple Rokus, and they don't have any problems.

wizwor likes this.
  8. Dec 6, 2020 #8 of 14
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Also meant to add... if you get some local channels, DirecTV allows you to also feed an antenna into the DVR, and record/watch OTA channels seamlessly. It even puts them in the guide for you.

wizwor likes this.
  9. Dec 6, 2020 #9 of 14
    tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Amazon recast would work for you. Just need $20.00 firesticks for your other TV's.

10. mikeb33

mikeb33 Hanger Arounder

Dec 10, 2001
    I returned the OTA Edge and bought a 4 tuner Roamio OTA refurb from Weaknees. I did the install and added it to my account. My Mini can now see recordings, but not watch live tv. The Roamio seems to have updated it's software to Hydra and the Mini still looks like good old Tivo. Would this cause no live tv?
    I saw a 31 page posting about rolling back from Hydra and Minis How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1
    Should I roll back my new(to me) Roamio? I have nothing recorded yet so nothing to loose but time. I didn't want it to update the interface, so if it is done automatically, how do I keep it from happening again? Come to think of it, my cable Roamio 6 tuner at home has the old interface too.

11. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I'd roll back, but that's just me.

Side note... Kinda sad to see only tivo solutions. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight this day and age. If you entertained my solution you'd be able to watch cable in your 2nd home. Not that you can't use your credentials for cable apps, but with Channels supporting TV_Everywhere, you'd have a single integrated channel guide with your OTA and cable channels. And you'd be able to record non protected content.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

astrohip likes this.
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes.

Or, at least, don't allow the Mini to update to TE4/Hydra ... as doing so may leave it stuck in that OS version, given the current issue with old A92/A93 Minis being unable to downgrade from TE4 to TE3.

See: Trying to Move Mini from TE4 host to a TE3 Host

p.s. And, yes, the Mini running a different version of the OS than its host DVR could be causing your issues. Rollback the new-to-you Roamio OTA and *then* evaluate the Mini's performance.

13. mikeb33

mikeb33 Hanger Arounder

Dec 10, 2001
    I rolled back the Roamio and re ran the setup for the mini and it works properly now, thank you. I didn't want the Roamio to "upgrade" in the first place, how do I keep it from happening again? I don't recall being asked if I want to upgrade. I've had 5 minis at my main house for years and they all have the non Hydra interface. One is now at the weekend house and I'm bringing another there since I got this working but there's nowhere to plug the network connection. I just picked up a portable router that I think I can use to connect the mini to the wifi: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5RCZQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

krkaufman likes this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It shouldn't. The auto-upgrade relates to the first-time initialization of a box, I believe, seemingly TiVo trying to influence migration to TE4/Hydra.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020