What are DirecTV's plans for HD-DVRs w/locals?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jsirota, Jan 3, 2006.

1. jsirota

jsirota New Member

May 26, 2003

Advertisements

I've been a DirecTivo customer for a long time, and have recently ordered (but not yet received) the DirecTivo/HD. I understand that this can receive local programming in HD via an over-the-air antenna, which is my plan.

I also understand that DirecTV launched new satellites recently to offer local programming in HD via satellite. I was under the impression that this wouldn't be available for a while yet, but then today, I was surprised to read on DTV's website that this programming is already available in some markets (I think mine might be one of them -- I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area).

So I called them, and apparently the HD/DVR box is not capable of using that 5-LNB dish, so there is no solution right now for HD/DVR/LocalHD. Despite today's CES announcements, the guy on the phone had no information about when that would be offered, but did say that they'd have an upgrade offer available for existing HD/DVR customers.

Has anyone heard any more precise or detailed information, or do I just need to be patient?

2. jdk

jdk New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    San Jose, CA
  3. jsirota

jsirota New Member

May 26, 2003
    Thanks, but that's not a DVR, right?

[ Edit: I read more carefully. It *is* a DVR, but isn't set to launch until mid-'06. ]

4. jdk

jdk New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    From the press release linked above:

DIRECTV PLUS(R) HD DVR

The DIRECTV(R) Plus HD DVR (HR20) combines the best entertainment with unprecedented control and convenience to create the ultimate TV viewing experience. It brings together the new DIRECTV Plus DVR and DIRECTV HD Receiver. Viewers are able to record one HD program while watching another and record two different shows at the same time, while watching a pre-recorded program. The DIRECTV Plus HD DVR gives the user the ability to pause and rewind live HD TV up to 90 minutes, use instant replay and watch in slow motion. The DIRECTV Plus HD DVR is able to record more than 30 hours of DIRECTV HD programming delivered in MPEG-2, or up to 50 hours of DIRECTV HD programming delivered in MPEG-4, or up to 200 hours of standard-definition programming. In addition, the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR is MPEG-4 compatible, and is the first DIRECTV HD receiver with interactive capabilities. DIRECTV plans to launch the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR at retail mid-2006.

5. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004

Advertisements

Sounds great as long as its not $1000 like their current HD DVR.

Rich