What am I getting into if I return to Tivo w/ TWC

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Vampelley, May 10, 2011.

1. Vampelley

Vampelley New Member

May 10, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

I just switched from u-verse to TWC. After one day i cannot deal with TWC's guide system. Its just so bad, it only shows 4 lines of guide and an ad at the bottom of the screen. Don't even get me started on their remote. Due to the recent data caps going back to U-Verse is not possible. So having had a several Tivo's back in the day, I'm leaning toward going back. I have waded through several different threads and I'm a little confused. What would it take to get Tivo working properly. Here is my set up. I'm in North Dallas, Tx. Subscribe to HD service with TWC internet.
    Right now i have one main DVR, and 2 HD boxes. I am looking at going with the Premier XL.

So exactly what happens after i buy the tivo? How does the cable card get installed? I read about truck rolls and weaseling out of them :). What are the difference between the two types of cards? Tivo XL only records 2 shows at once will additional cards make it record more? Do i send my main DVR unit back to TWC? What about my other units? Is the guide is still as good as I remember it?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    you only need one cablecard, it has support for multiple tuners, there are only two in the Premiere. You just call up TW and set up an appointment, though self-installs are on the horizon.

TW will want the old box back- hand it to the installer, drop off at an office, or request a mailing box.

You have an option with the P - the old way as you remember, and a new HD interface, which still has some of the old screens a layer or two deep.

3. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    Depending where you are you may need a Tuning Adapter in addition to the cablecard to tune certain switched-digital channels. Its a small external box that goes between the cable outlet and Tivo and also connects to the USB port. The TWC boxes have them built in.

I had to have a truck roll for both, they wouldn't let me install the cable card myself.

Be sure to run the Tivo install prior to their visit, selecting to set up the cable card later so as to get the latest software updates

4. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Based on my experience in KC this is order I would do:
    1. Buy Premiere XL from wherever.
    2. Schedule an appointment for a CableCard install for the day after you think you will receive your TiVo. If possible have the appointment be Friday evening or Saturday morning. Tell the CSR the tech will need an Multistream Cable Card. You most likely will need a Tuning Adapter as well since most Time Warner service areas have had SDV for several years now. Ask the CSR to check if you have Switched Digital Video in your area. If they don't know what you are talking about, kindly ask them to transfer you to tech support. They will know. If you have SDV, tell the CSR the technician will need to bring a tuning adapter as well. (You will most likely discover at step 6 he did not bring one, but it is worth a try).
    3. The night before the appointment run through guided setup skipping the CableCard step.
    4. When the cable guy comes assess his knowledge and experience of dealing with Cable Cards. Show him how to insert the card in the TiVo if necessary (I had to when mine was installed).
    5. Do not let him leave without confirmation on the TiVo that the cable card was paired. You can see this info in the Cable Card diagnostics menu. If it is not paired, have him call in to care to send a "hit" to the TiVo. If that doesn't work have him try a new card. Make sure it is not one he just pulls from the back of cable box. Those will not work. If you go through a couple and have the same issue, search through the forums here for advice. You will most likely have to have another truck roll.
    6. Assuming step 5 went okay, ask the installing if he brought a tuning adapter. The answer will most likely be no.
    7. Assuming your local Time Warner store is still open take your old boxes and remotes turn them in. Request a tuning adapter. They should not require a truck roll. If they do, I suggest keeping one of your boxes until you get a tuning adapter as you will likely only get about half of your channels on TiVo without it.
    8. Use this wizard at Tivo to hook up your Tuning Adapter: http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/tivo-tuning-adapter-wizard/
    9. Return any Time Warner devices you have back to the store. Do not let the tech take them. TW tried to charge me for one the tech never logged back in to inventory.
    10. Bask in the glory of your new TiVo and be thankful you won't have to do this process again unless you buy another TiVo or your current one has the main board replaced.
    :D

5. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I'm in your shoes right now...just a couple of steps ahead. I also just dumped uverse for TWC because of the bandwidth caps. I am also in North Dallas (The Colony). I also have HD service and mutliple TVs (just two here).

I went with Tivo right off the bat. Didn't even try the TWC boxes. After much reading on here, I was prepared for extensive hassles with cablecards and tuning adapters. Really, it wasn't too bad. I have had a total of 5 truck rolls in the last 2 weeks to get everything working, but that was as much bad cabling outside as anything inside.

First, some info:
    You will need tuning adapters. The SDV channels here are all the cable HD channels. If you don't have HD, you don't need the tuning adapter. the local HD channels and all the SD cable channels come in without one.

You will need a tuning adapter and a multi-stream cable card (m-card) for each tivo. Supposedly the tuning adapters are free, but ther is a small fee for the cable cards. I'm pretty sure its $2.50/mo per card.

Next, some bad news:
    You'll probably need three tivos, one for each of your 3 tv's. Skip the XL, and just get the smaller versions. Since you'll have multiple Tivo's, you can spread out the recordings. Unfortunately, this means multiple Tivo charges per month. I handled this by getting refurb Tivos (full warranty, but lower monthly rate).

Don't plan on streaming/copying cable shows to other rooms. TWC in Dallas has all the cable networks copy protected. In other words, whatever Tivo records the show is the one you have to watch it on. Local channels are not copy protected. Neither is WGN (SD only). Shows on those channels can be moved around your home as you wish (or to your computer).

Lastly, the good news:
    Even after dealing with the limitations, I still find Tivo to be a better value. The online stuff (Netflix, Amazon, etc) is great. The scheduling is better, and tivo deals with show conflicts better than any other DVR I've seen (though still not perfect).

The picture quality is excellent. I had become accustomed to the extremely bad HD quality from uverse. Now, two weeks later, I am still amazed at how much better the HD quality is from TWC.

In summary, it will cost you more, will be more of a hassle to get working, but you may find it all to be worth it. My only complaint right now is with the copy protection. I am satisfied with all the other aspects of Tivo ownership.

YMMV

Jeff

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Things must be bad if Time-Warner Cable is the better choice.

7. sddave

sddave New Member

May 2, 2008
    TWC divisions have different reliability and issues. To get an answer from a person using the same TWC division, put your location in your profile.

8. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Set up is always a pain, but once you get going, I would say Tivo is a much better choice than the TWC box. Definitely worth it to me.

9. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    This is a great list IMO - it's kind of the "real-world" version of that colorful little poster Tivo includes with the units that's so much help. :rolleyes:

10. Vampelley

Vampelley New Member

May 10, 2011
    Update - Thank you guys for all your help. I'd like to mention i miss Uverse so much its like missing a piece of my soul lol. My cable card was supposed to be installed last night. The guy never showed, but so helpful added notes that i wasnt home. I was. Sitting on my couch with my dog going through Tivo set up. The front door less then 2 feet behind me. My door bell nor my doggie alert system never went off. He mentioned in the notes he left a missed appointment note on my white door. MY RED door was never knocked upon. Now they want me to wait till the 25th! After waiting since i started this post (10 days ago!) **bangs head on desk** With att I usually got an appointment that door or the next! I finally had to threaten to cancel to get someone to take me seriously! Cancel agent is going to give me a call tomorrow, when i do i will make sure i ask for the SDV tuning adapter as well.

I do love my currently useless tivo tho, I watched a couple movies off netflix while i was waiting for the install. We got the free little slider remote..so cute! and the remotes have impoved much since my series 1.

I will keep everyone posted!. Thanks Mr. Jedi and Jeff :)

11. Vampelley

Vampelley New Member

May 10, 2011
    Oh quick question..if i get refurb tivos how much is the tivo service for them?

12. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    If I understand the new pricing correctly it is $19.99 a month now.

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I live in north Dallas and each time I have had a cablecard install, I have had to walk the installer through the process. The biggest stumbling block seems to be that they either read the numbers incorrectly, or the person on the other end of their crappy walkie-talkie phones hears them incorrectly. Also, after they "hit" the card it can sometimes take a few minutes for it to affect the TiVo, so make them be patient before hitting it again. I have five cablecards in four units and they are all working, although only the Premiere is able to properly record suggestions since they added the tuning adapters.

14. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    The Premiere has but one cable card slot, yet will still record most channels without the card...
    At the time of purchase, was told the monthly fee would be $12.95 being a return customer... Sad to say the first billing was for $19.95 per