What a difference!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Toddifer, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Nov 9, 2017 #1 of 15
    Toddifer

Toddifer New Member

Nov 9, 2017

Advertisements

Moved my Premiere XL with lifetime I won years ago from TiVo to a guest bedroom that had my TiVo mini that was rarely used. Thought it would be wiser to use the mini as my primary unit in my living room since it has voice capabilities now with the new TiVo Vox remote.

This new setup is so much faster navigating menu screens. Picture quality is much crisper compared to going directly from the Premiere to my living room tv. Doesn't make sense to me since the source is now originating from my guest bedroom Premiere and going MoCa to my living room. I just wished I had setup my units like this years ago....

2. Nov 9, 2017 #2 of 15
    Toddifer

Toddifer New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Starting to have a concern about the TiVo Vox remote I ordered today for my mini. Everything I read said it will work with my mini. However, the feed for the mini is from a Premiere and not a Bolt. Will I get the voice features being advertised?

3. Nov 9, 2017 #3 of 15
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you have another DVR beside the Premiere XL that is the host DVR for the Mini? (I'm wondering how your Mini could be using the new Hydra/gen4 UI.)

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. Nov 9, 2017 #4 of 15
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    1) I'm guessing that you don't have a Premiere XL if it's your only DVR; it'd have to be a 4-tuner Premiere 4 or XL4, since the 2-tuner models are not supported as host DVRs for Minis.

2) As for the VOX Remote, the Mini would need to be running the Hydra/gen4 UI for the voice control features to work, and the Mini's UI is determined by its host DVR -- and Premieres are not eligible for Hydra, so no Hydra or voice controls for your Mini. (You'd need a Roamio or BOLT running Hydra as the Mini's host DVR.)

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. Nov 9, 2017 #5 of 15
    Toddifer

Toddifer New Member

Nov 9, 2017

Advertisements

Mini is not showing new Hydra UI. First time I have heard of it was reading these forums today. Thank you for your explanation. I guess I will be returning the Vox remote when I get it. I wish TiVo had provided more marketing details that the Vox remote voice features may or may not work with all minis depending on it's host. Think they will be getting quite a few returns.

6. Nov 9, 2017 #6 of 15
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

this has been known since launch that hydra was needed for voice

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. Nov 9, 2017 #7 of 15
    Toddifer

Toddifer New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    You are correct. I have another Premiere in the house that is a 4 tuner unit. It is actually the host and not the XL.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. Nov 9, 2017 #8 of 15
    Toddifer

Toddifer New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    People who read these forums on a regular basis would know. Nothing is mentioned about Hydra when you read the description about the Vox remote with Bluetooth adapter on websites selling them. It just states is will work with TiVo Minis. Somewhat true, but without the voice functions.

jackstoker and krkaufman like this.
  9. Nov 9, 2017 #9 of 15
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Amazon's listing includes this bullet buried in the Feature details section:

On-screen user interface must be upgraded to the New TiVo Experience for voice-control functionality. Upgrade details provided upon remote installation.​

... which, yeah, doesn't provide a full picture re: requirements.

10. TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    This is a good catch. On our website, we say this:

Works with:
    TiVo BOLT, BOLT VOX, BOLT+ and Mini VOX
    TiVo Roamio DVRs (Pro, Plus and OTA) and TiVo Mini when combined with Bluetooth® dongle (included)
    TiVo VOX Remote does NOT work with any prior models of TiVo DVRs.

I have asked them to add a 4th line:
    Note: Use with TiVo MINI requires Roamio or BOLT as the Host DVR

krkaufman likes this.
  11. TiVo_Ted

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    I have also asked them to update our Amazon and Best Buy pages to reflect this as well. Sorry for the confusion!

12. Phil_C

Phil_C Active Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Chicago
    @TiVo_Ted

Can a new Bolt Vox be reverted to the Gen3 UI?

Maybe "revert" is the wrong word in this case. Information in this forum seems to say that when a new Bolt Vox is first powered up it will automatically install Hydra. Can Gen3 then be installed on the box, even though Gen3 was never on it originally? Can this be done with a "downgrade" app or by other means?

I'd like to buy a Bolt Vox as an upgrade to my XL4, but I am NOT ready for Hydra until Hydra is ready for me. Thanks.

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Very helpful. Thank you.
    :rolleyes:

14. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Do now. Deleted

15. TiVo_Ted

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    Yes, you can run the downgrade app as soon as it's setup.

Phil_C and jackstoker like this.