WHAS11 (ABC, Louisville KY) Power Outage (Oct. 20, 2011)

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by jimp, Oct 21, 2011.

1. jimp

jimp Member

Jan 1, 2005
    BFE, Indiana
    There was a power outage at WHAS11 (ABC out of Louisville, KY) last night during prime time, so they are re-airing Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice over the weekend.

From the article:
    Manual recordings are probably in order if anyone is still watching those shows.

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Wow, the backup generators failed? Not very reliable if you need weather warnings or other emergency info from a TV station.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The explanation given on the station's website, to which jimp linked, makes no sense.

Failure of the local power company's cable and/or transformer should have no effect on the station's generator, because it should not be able to be attached to the building's wiring unless the power company's wires were disconnected. Only one power source at a time is allowed to feed the building and neither power source are allowed to backfeed each other.

4. jimp

jimp Member

Jan 1, 2005
    BFE, Indiana
    Yes, I struggled to make sense of that as well. It's not a very good backup if it doesn't work once the mains give out.

The only thing I can think of is that it was worded very badly and they meant something like:

I suspect that the real failure was a failure to properly test and maintain said generator... (and the failure to write a coherent story)