Whale Wars - 7/15/11 - Race to Save Lives

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by justen_m, Jul 15, 2011.

1. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I felt this episode needed a thread of its own.

Wow. Amazing episode. This one hit a bit close to home for me. I've never been on a 50-foot steel hull sailboat in the Antarctic, but I've done a fair amount of sailing on a 44-foot fiberglass sailboat in the North Atlantic. I've been tossed around in some fairly nasty storms, with 60 knot winds and 20 foot seas, but nothing like that storm. During those storms, everybody is puking, but you still have to do your job. Help is a long ways away.

I did a little checking online. The Berserk's ELT beacon went off on Feb 22, so this all happened about 5 months ago. Sounds like the entire expedition was actually... illegal... as it violated every Antarctic treaty. There's also speculation that the boat was overloaded.

I can't believe the NZ Navy vessel lost three 50-man life rafts. No wonder they had to turn around.

I have to commend the aqua hippies for their effort. Finding the life raft at the end at least gives pretty good proof the vessel sunk. As was mentioned, life rafts can be deployed manually, but they will also automatically deploy at a certain depth (aka, as the vessel sinks). However, the condition of the raft at the end means it probably wouldn't have made a difference if the crew managed to get aboard.

2. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
  3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I wondered about that when Chris got to the cabin and it was padlocked (and there were all those signs around, too). That would have sucked for those guys had they actually made it there and then couldn't get into shelter.

Seeing all the ice on the boat reminded me of Deadliest Catch. Also when the crane line snapped while they were trying to drag the life raft on board.

4. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    if your last hope is the Sea Hippies...you're in trouble!

5. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    From the above link....

Three ships took part in search operations--the Russian tourist vessel Spirit of Enderby, the NZ naval vessel HMNZS Wellington, and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's Steve Irwin.

Why no mention of the several Japanese whaling ships? I think they said that when a distress call goes out that ships in the area are obligated to help in S&R efforts. So why no mention of the considerable whaling fleet?

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The fleet probably wasn't in the area.

7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I suppose they have some justification, like, "There were other ships closer."

The harpoon ships are probably faster than most commercial vessels. They probably could have been on site sooner than the aqua hippies, but might have had fuel/range restraints. They are also smaller boats that might not have been able to enter the storm, or risk the icebergs. So no judgement here.

I can't imagine a captain not trying to aid a distressed ship, unless it would have placed his/her own ship in greater jeopardy. When you are in the middle of nowhere, you help if you can, because you could be in the same situation some day.

8. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I just got this feeling that "Captian" Watson was annoyed as all hell. His demeanor the entire episode was that of irked and seemed like he was trying to get the search over as quick as possible.

Anybody else get that feeling?

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yeah, I did. Not just from Watson. I think the rest of the crew were pissed to have been diverted from "saving whales" to "saving humans." Turned my stomach a bit, but they DID help.

I think Paul knew, but it wasn't shown on the show, that the Berserk was on an "illegal" trespass expedition. He disapproved of their expedition. The rest of the crew picked up on his unhappiness. As naval officers, we learn that no matter what we think of our orders, we _never_ show our disagreement in front of the crew. Paul did.

10. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    You think Paul disapproved of an "illegal" trespass expedition? That seems right up his ally. I don't think it was that, just that he had to stop saving whales.

Either way, we agree he was noticebly p*ssed the entire time ;)

11. ngsmith

ngsmith Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Lawrencevill...
    Not sure which Whale Wars episode this should be tagged in.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jul/31/eco-pirate-paul-watson-flagship

"Eco-pirate" Paul Watson is losing a race against time to recover his flagship boat, the Steve Irwin, which has been impounded in Shetland.

The world's most radical conservationist, Watson is being sued for $1.4m (£850,000) by a Maltese fishing company, Fish and Fish, one of Europe's leading tuna processors. The law suit against Watson's Sea Shepherd Conservation Society was filed last year after activists aboard the Steve Irwin freed 800 bluefin tuna from a pen in the Mediterranean.

Watson has just 10 days to raise the bond required to release the boat, which was named after the late Australian conservationist. It has been impounded in the harbour at Lerwick ever since the company sued him for damages. By last night, the society had raised about $500,000, after a global Twitter campaign and appeals to celebrities who have helped Watson in the past.

A co-founder of Greenpeace, Watson was picking up volunteer crew and restocking the Steve Irwin in preparation for a trip to protest against whaling in the Faroe Islands when he was served with the writ. The tuna cage that had been intercepted 40 miles off the Libyan coast in June last year held an estimated 35 tons of fish.

After a fracas in which there was hand-to-hand fighting between the two crews, Sea Shepherd sent in divers to release the 800 tuna.

12. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    This thread hijack is fine by me, the OP. There was probably a better one... but I think those who read this thread aren't spoiler nazis or forum rule nazis. Just my impression. ;)
    Thanks for posting the info. Maybe post in the Whale Wars multi-season thread, too?