1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westworld "The Riddle of the Sphinx" S2E4 5/13/2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, May 13, 2018.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    "If you're looking forward, you're looking in the wrong direction"

aaronwt likes this.
  2. kaszeta

kaszeta Ceci n'est pas une conserve TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Elsie!

What’s up with the Ghost Nation? Their leader is the same old host that demoed the original concept to Logan. They seem to just round up humans and let them go.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    One thing that's interesting me is that while in the first season the multiple timelines were a storytelling technique, in the second they're becoming part of the actual story.

Kudos to whoever guessed Grace was William's daughter. I wasn't completely convinced last week, but it was pretty obvious after her first scene tonight.

And now we know why they call them "hosts"!

aaronwt likes this.
  4. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    From last week's thread, look at the big brain on getreal...
    I have a feeling that if not for all the internet sleuthing that figured out the secrets last season, they would have stretched out that reveal a little longer.

They did introduce a new mystery though, indicating that there's another "human" host somewhere that Bernard now needs to find. Unless they introduce someone new, there just aren't that many humans left that it could be.

5. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Man, this show is big in symbolism. Craddock drinking from the Holy Chalice. Maybe as a nod to his “resurrection.” The cowboys riding into the sunset.

“I killed them. All of them.” Maybe he’s talking about the massacre in the hidden lab.

Why would William spend some 30 years trying to port Delos the Elder’s mind over to a replicant body? He despised the guy. Maybe just a prototype that he was familiar with.

Lucky thing there was a syringe laying around already full of cortical juice for Bernie. ;) What is he doing, peeing the stuff out?

If a guy drinks 1.5 oz. of nitro, and you shoot him, will he explode? Sounds like something the Myth Busters should check out.

Not sure if we’re back to current time yet at the end, but WTH is William searching for?

6. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    [​IMG]

The biggest problem is the it actor who played the human that it is most likely to be is theoretically no longer part of the show.

But there is a CGI available who played a younger version - but if the CGI is used who will do the voice?

(and would they have used a CGI rather than a human actor for the younger version of Ford if the "human" host that Bernard is going to find is a younger version of Ford?)

7. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    Technically speaking it is coming out his ear :)

8. RGM1138

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Maybe he shouldn’t lie down. Or fix the leak.
    :)

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "Are we there yet?"

"NO, Bernard! Just hold it!"

tim1724 and RGM1138 like this.
  10. RGM1138

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Did they say why they were so intent on getting Peter Abernathy out if the park?

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Because of the mass of data that was hidden in his brain; they were trying to smuggle it out of the parks.

But they haven't revealed yet what exactly was in that data.

12. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Is it the lighting, or do the control units in the hidden lab look different than the normal ones (they look red to me, whereas the ones we previously saw extracted from hosts looked white)?

Are these special control units designed to run the "different code base" that is designed to host human personalities instead of the normal hosts?

Thinking it over, this may be one of the reasons that the park shifted from mechanical-based hosts to the 3d-printed ones that Ford didn't like as much; they may have been intended to allow human personalities transplanted into them to feel more human.

Seeing the problems with the senior Delos host, I'm in many ways feeling particularly sorry for Bernard; he's had to have been through a lot of similar experiences (we know from his confrontation with Ford that several times Bernard had figured out he was a host more than once)

13. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    That's still a plot detail I don't really get.

I get the basic idea of "Ford didn't want others to have control of the technology" concept, but if Delos can run an entire secondary host operation with drones, etc, I'm shocked that they don't have other means to smuggle data out of the park.

14. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

It isn't the lighting, they are red.

But when it comes to the lighting the show does present problems for more than one of my screens.

The stocks of guns issued to Delos security staff are coded a sort of red, or orange or something but hardly shows up on my screens.

15. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

I think part of the problem is Ford ensured a one-time encryption was used - and now only Bernard can decrypt the data.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I've always assumed that it's only a certain faction within Delos that is smuggling out the data, and they don't want to go through usual channels to avoid the possibility of detection...otherwise, why smuggle at all?

17. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    It bothered me that Elsie did not have any reaction to Bernard being a host.

Another thing that bothered me was that older William (Jimmie Simpson) still has a full head of hair.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought she reacted subtly but appropriately. She was furious and terrified because of his attack on her and the betrayal implicit in it; learning he was a host explained and even kind of excused it.
    Given how little resemblance the two actors have, I'd say that's the least of their problems! ;)

19. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Huh? Bernard was having issues (I think he said “cognitive lock”) and handed the tablet to Elsie. She saw the screen that said “Pairing with Lowe, Bernard” and was plainly shocked, especially since there were several times Bernard had supposedly rotated out to go home and she was wondering where he went when that happened.

But she's probably had suspicions since the choking incident a few days ago.

20. Tsiehta

Tsiehta Active Member

Jul 22, 2002
    PA