1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westworld "The Passenger" S2E10 6/24/2018 (S2 Finale)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jun 24, 2018 #1 of 133
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Reminder... it's a 90 minute finale tonight.

Let the wild theories begin!

2. Jun 24, 2018 #2 of 133
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Just a heads-up...there is an EXTREMELY significant scene after the credits!

3. Jun 24, 2018 #3 of 133
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Well, I have questions...

Yah, that just brought up more questions... ;)

4. Jun 24, 2018 #4 of 133
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    [​IMG]

getbak and kaszeta like this.
  5. Jun 25, 2018 #5 of 133
    kaszeta

kaszeta Ceci n'est pas une conserve TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I may have to just watch that again to even formulate all my questions.

Phenomenal season finale, however.

6. Jun 25, 2018 #6 of 133
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I think this episode blew my mind. I'm just not sure.

Maybe I'm iteration 10,732 of smbaker.

7. Jun 25, 2018 #7 of 133
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Okay, just to err on the side of good intentions. . .

MiB killed William’s human daughter?

Delores (?) “killed” the millions of human memories in the Forge?

Delores “built” Bernard from Arnold’s essence?

Hale sent the consciousnesses of the chosen hosts onto a satellite, using what looked like a Patriot missile launcher?

Stubbs unleashes the Bringer of Death onto the outside world, and her mission is to destroy all human life on Earth?

Whose pearls did Hale/Delores bring with?

MiB (as we had been suspecting) is a host, and is at the mercy of host Emily?

How many days until season 3 starts, presumably in 2019?

8. Jun 25, 2018 #8 of 133
    te36

te36 Member

Jun 14, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Hah. The episode was structured as if it could have ended after 60 minutes if the show wasn't renewed by then, and 60 minutes epilogue to lead into the next season given how it was renewed. Heck, they even called it out.

In retrospective, this season reminds me a bit of Pulp Fiction because of the combination of fighting and body scattering blood bath opera and time line puzzle. The first time you watch it its perplexing and of course westworld a lot more so than Pulp Fiction, the second time its likely comparbly satisfying, but the third time it would loose out, because it doesn't have the rich soundtrack of PF i could listen to over and over again.

I hope nobody is going to check for my fidelity..

9. Jun 25, 2018 #9 of 133
    te36

te36 Member

Jun 14, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Unspoiling answering theories after other threads below did it too...

More likely an Emily host IMHO, but seems unresolved.

Pretty sure they can undo that if they need it for the story line later, but yes, i think for now.

Trained his neural network to emulate all known Arnold behavior, yes. Probably not in the real world but in simulation for higher speed.

Don't think Satellites where the final destination, just relay. Some other Data center. Doesn't necessarily have to be Patriot, just any old rocket launcher where you could fit a few laser pointers into ;-)

That mission was grown because of the deprived people who could afford visiting the park. Westworld would become fairly simple if she would behave like a mindless robot fix to that mission. Hoping that experiences outside the park will influence her actions in the next season.

Encryptions key for the saved host afterlife, bernard, whatever else she felt usefil ?

Could have been the real Emily too, but i have a hard time coming up with a back story why she'd wanted to.

Might be later in 2019 if they feel that they can keep subscribers attached with the final 6 episodes of GoT in the first half of the year.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  10. Jun 25, 2018 #10 of 133
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I'm going to remove your spoiler code. You're asking questions all related to the season finale, which this is the thread for. If you want answers and/or discussion, it needs to be unspoiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MiB killed William’s human daughter?

Delores (?) “killed” the millions of human memories in the Forge?

Delores “built” Bernard from Arnold’s essence?

Hale sent the consciousnesses of the chosen hosts onto a satellite, using what looked like a Patriot missile launcher?

Stubbs unleashes the Bringer of Death onto the outside world, and her mission is to destroy all human life on Earth?

Whose pearls did Hale/Delores bring with?

MiB (as we had been suspecting) is a host, and is at the mercy of host Emily?

How many days until season 3 starts, presumably in 2019?

11. Jun 25, 2018 #11 of 133
    pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    My version of the timeline:

* Dolores and Bernard enter the Forge.
    * Bernard shoots Dolores, the Forge watercooling system starts flooding.
    * Bernard exits the Forge and runs into an arriving real Charlotte Hale who says they should get back to the Mesa before the entire valley is flooded.
    * Back in the Mesa the real Charlotte Hale kills Elsie for not have enough moral flexibility.
    * A host created by Bernard, Dolores' mind inside a Charlotte Hale facsimile kills the real Charlotte Hale.
    * Karl Strand and his military contractors arrive in Westworld after the real Hale is killed, all the time he thought he was speaking to the real Hale he was speaking to Dolores/Hale.

In the previous episode thread I posted "I am hoping the season finale is going to reveal who is the biggest liar of them all, my guess is Charlotte Hale, what is the biggest lie of them all, my guess is the suggestion that MiB is a host, but in the Game of Theories my guesses are most likely wrong".

This episode more than fulfilled my hopes - I am now going to call Charlotte Hale both the biggest liar and the biggest lie of them all.

I am disappointed we may not be seeing more of Maeve in the next season (although there is more than one way that she can be resurrected), pleased that Lee Sizemore got to make the speech he wrote for Hector in the first season but was not delivered because Hector was unexpectedly shot and in doing so showed himself the human most capable of becoming a better human.

tim1724 likes this.
  12. Jun 25, 2018 #12 of 133
    RGM1138

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I rewatched part of the episode. I’m still a little fuzzy on when in the timeline naked Host Hale killed human Hale. And when Host Hale had Delores’ pearl put into her.

And what has god(Arnold/Bernard) wrought?

BTW, I think putting the remaining hosts into a virtual world was the kindest move of all. It allows them to be, but without causing harm to humans.

Which is surely what Hale/Delores will do over the next 10 episodes or so. Maybe on an extinction level event.

13. Jun 25, 2018 #13 of 133
    smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Seems like a ripoff of one of the Sherlock Holmes ST:TNG episodes (which was probably a ripoff of something earlier...)

The problem I have with what was done is that the humans will simply pull the plug at some point. Unless the virtual world is self-sustaining, it require will require resources to maintain, and any resources expended on it reduce profit.

14. Jun 25, 2018 #14 of 133
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Hale/Delores changed the coordinates the hosts "utopia world" was being sent to. She said it's in a place no one could find. As to how well that holds up is to be seen, might be a plot point in S3.

15. Jun 25, 2018 #15 of 133
    BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Didn't that virtual world get beamed out via satellite?

16. Jun 25, 2018 #16 of 133
    RGM1138

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    That’s what they said. But, they weren’t specific on where it was beamed to.

At first, I thought it was to a particular satellite, but you’d assume that it would need some kind of mechanism to sustain the virtual world. It wouldn’t need much space, just the device to create the world.

I think they’re leaving that plot point nebulous until next season. Or, maybe the writers think we’ll just accept it and move on by next year.

17. Jun 25, 2018 #17 of 133
    BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Well yeah, they definitely left it unanswered this season.

18. Jun 25, 2018 #18 of 133
    smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Beamed out to what? It's code, it has to run somewhere. By what's been depicted in the series to us, the infrastructure required (the Forge and the Cradle) are both quite extensive.

Maybe Ford has a self-sustaining facility complete with drone maintenance workers out at one of the Lagrange points. Who knows.

At this point Ford happens to be a mass murderer, who instigated the death of a vast number of very wealthy guests at the park. Anything he owned is going to get taken apart by the victims' lawyers.

Point a patriot missile launcher at the sky and shoot laser beams out of it just seems like a silly move for an otherwise thoughtful series.

19. Jun 25, 2018 #19 of 133
    RGM1138

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I got exhausted watching those scenes on the Mesa, thinking about how long it to the crew to set up each shot in the desert environment. The lighting, laying dolly tracks and especially choreographing the fight scenes.

I was also impressed with the (I assume) CGI cows. Surely, fake bovine would be safer for the stunt crew to deal with.

20. Jun 25, 2018 #20 of 133
    BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Beamed somewhere they would be safe/not found (I forget the exact wording Dolores used).