Westworld S3E03 - The Absence of Field - 3/29/2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gossamer88, Mar 30, 2020.

1. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    The BIG question of course who is inside Charlotte Hale? Another question. Why does Caleb risk his life to protect Dolores?

2. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I was thinking Teddy based on the dialogue between them, but not sure if he (his pearl) survived last season.

Caleb lost someone while serving. Could be it was due to his inaction? Needs to make up for it now?

3. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Teddy is the obvious possibility for who's inside "Charlotte", maybe too obvious. Given that they seem to be making identity the big mystery this season rather than timeline shenanigans, it might someone less predictable.

Other possible hosts: (just off the top of my head the ones I can remember who I don't think went through the door)
    • Peter Abernathy: Dolores has his core, as it was used to smuggle the data. Unclear how much of him is left in there, though. But he would match the dialog about "Charlotte" and Dolores knowing each other so well.
    • Armistice: Perhaps cutting herself is to replicate her tattoo? But the location of the cutting doesn't match the snake tattoo and she and Dolores don't have much of a connection. But she could match the dialog "Charlotte" had about being a predator.
    • Clementine: seems unlikely to me
    • Lawrence: also very unlikely
    Oh and "Charlotte" isn't the only host whose identity we don't know. Who is in the host body that's currently pretending to be Martin Connells?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Who was that at the end? A very thin whats-his-name...I forget actually. I dont like all this subterfuge. I remember faces and stuff but I honestly dont remember who Armistice or Clementine were. And this is season 3?? I just remember Westworld and The Silence of the Lambs guy. OH..Ed Harris thats who I forgot. Season 2 was maive and her kid and all that...

5. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Based on the dialog between them at the end, it's hard to see it being anyone other than Teddy or Abernathy. It's a little hard to imagine Dolores trusting Abernathy with that responsibility given his history.

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    “No one knows you like I do, no one knows me like you”

Could it be herself? A cloned copy of her seed (or whatever they call that brain ball).

Another thought is Robert Ford. I'm trying to think of people who really know her. From the inside out, so to speak.

pgogborn, tim1724 and smbaker like this.
  7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I saw a theory that she might be a Bernard-like creature based on young William.

Which makes a little bit of sense, since "Hale" seems unstable in the same way other fake humans (Bernard, old William) have been. (Which would also lend credence to your Ford theory.)

Interesting, by the way that "she" recognized Bernard from his pearl (which, admittedly, looks different than the others).

smbaker likes this.
  8. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'm really bordering on the WTF/DGAF point for this show and the direction they've gone. I think the only real attraction right now is the building architecture among the locations where they've shot scenes.

9. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    My prediction was Armistice, but I like Rob's theory.

I'm not enjoying this season as much as the others. It's just not as interesting to me not being inside the park. I do like the set designs, the architecture, etc., just not the plot (so far).

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's what I was thinking. I sort of remember a conversation that I thought showed that at the end of last season (but like everything else with this show, I might be totally confused about it).

11. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Also thinking it could be this, perhaps even the cloned copy of herself that Ford created to be Wyatt.

12. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

She also said "I trust you". She could have been lying in order to encourage stupid loyalty but if she wasn't I think the only person she trusts is herself and maybe her father.

13. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    That's what she said.

14. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Popular question, type "Who is in" and google's #1 choice is….

15. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I enjoy that since I've been to DelosValencia:

[​IMG]

Will we see a dinosaur?

[​IMG]

It is a rather random place to wander around, since the surrounding area is all 1800s-1900s architecture. And some other oddities, like this gigantic Gulliver statue:

[​IMG]

tivotvaddict likes this.
  16. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I bet that was interesting to see a place you've been to being used as the setting for Delos. It was the perfect backdrop to see the huge machines that are supposed to control riots, the order that was cancelled by the Saudis. I'm sure those won't come into play at any point in the future :cough-Checkov's-gun-cough:

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    At the end of S2, the Dolores pearl left the park in a Charlotte body. Then at the beginning of this episode we see a Charlotte body being made at the mainland location (that we saw at the very end of S2). The Dolores pearl is now in a Dolores body and she's bringing the new Charlotte body (with unknown pearl) back on line. So why did she need to create a Charlotte body with the mainland printer when a perfectly good Charlotte body escaped from the park?

Also, since we saw in this episode that other than the Dolores pearl and the unknown pearl in the Charlotte body, the other four pearls were sitting on the table. So how did the Dolores pearl/Charlotte body host that ended last season get her own pearl out of her head and into her newly-printed Dolores body? It would make sense if she first created Bernard and he helped her with the switchover, but in this episode we see that the Charlotte body was created while the Bernard pearl is still sitting on the table.

Finally, in the first episode of the season, we were told that it had been over 90 days since the massacre at the park. Also in that episode, we see the Charlotte body in a boardroom talking about taking Delos private. Then in this episode we see the Charlotte (body) get told about Serac buying up a large percentage of Delos stock, essentially making it impossible for Delos to go private. So that means the next scene, when the Charlotte body then goes home, it is presumably the first time she's been in her home since the massacre at the park, so well over 90 days (and who knows how long she was in the park leading up to that). It's obviously the first time the Charlotte body has been in that apartment. So the interaction with her ex and her son makes zero sense in that context. She seems to not know who he is and then she seems surprised when he mentions they have a kid. The ex talks about how she forgot to pick up her son, and she says her meeting went late. That's not what you say to someone who you haven't seen for many months and who presumably has been missing since the massacre at the park. I guess we could assume that the Dolores pearl/Charlotte body version had previously been filling the role of Charlotte so this wasn't the first time the ex and kid had seen her since the massacre. But if that's the case, why didn't Dolores provide the new Charlotte with the necessary information about having an ex and a son rather than her walking in there and having to figure it all out on the fly?

18. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    @kaszeta's post sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole. Interesting article on the architectural choices for this season:

Vulture article

kaszeta likes this.
  19. Pralix

Pralix Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I can't wait for the big reveal that this all takes place on Caprica.

20. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    But who is the mysterious rich guy who's name I have never heard clearly enough to know how to spell, but imdb says is Serac? My theory is that he doesn't exist at all and is simply a virtual creation of the death star thingy.