Westworld - S1E2 - "Chestnut" - 10/9/2016

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Saturn_V, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Oct 7, 2016 #1 of 83
    Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
  2. Oct 7, 2016 #2 of 83
    mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    It's also out as a torrent file, but that's illegal, of course. :)

3. Oct 7, 2016 #3 of 83
    caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Still onboard, enjoyed it just as much as the pilot.

4. Oct 7, 2016 #4 of 83
    Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    What or who was chestnut? I was expecting a horse.

Is the hooker remembering previous encounters with the Big Bad when he scalped her?

Loved the white hat/black hat choice. They certainly lived up to their selections.

5. Oct 8, 2016 #5 of 83
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Didn't someone say that they intentionally program them to have nightmares? I can't remember the stated reason, though.

Is Dr. Ford planning to introduce religion into Westworld to see how the hosts and guests handle it? It almost seems like Dr. Ford is treating this place like a big sociology experiment.

6. Oct 8, 2016 #6 of 83
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    The intro with them walking thru those more futuristic sets was such a tease; I would have much preferred a Future World story line for this series. Not a big fan of the Western.

7. Oct 8, 2016 #7 of 83
    LooseWiring

LooseWiring Active Member

Jan 6, 2003
    Miami, FL
    In case the nightly maintenance guys forget to wipe them.

ellinj likes this.
  8. Oct 8, 2016 #8 of 83
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    They programed the "concept" of nightmares to explain bad memories that may have remained.

9. Oct 8, 2016 #9 of 83
    Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    Interesting that both Westworld and Humans treat AI memory as a problem and not as an advantage.

In Humans, AI has perfect memory, nothing fades or diminishes over time, and every pain, trauma or suffering is remembered as it's freshly lived. So you have characters like Niska that are permanently pissed and distrustful of all humans to the point of psychosis.

And there's real fear that hosts carry memories from cycle to cycle. "Imagine how ****ed we'd be if these poor *******s remember what the guests do to them?" When Maeve wakes her self up during her maintenance- those techs are scared to death.

And the discovery of MRSA was interesting. Would that make the hosts more like genetically engineered Blade Runner replicants than androids?

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    They keep trying to go so over-the-top Sam Peckinpah violent that it pulls me out of the story. Like the scene in the saloon when James Marsden is shot. I'm trying to stay connected, but I end up thinking: "Hmm, I guess they're using digital gunshot VFX, because Marsden isn't gonna lie there and let some day player shoot in the vicinity of his face even with a 1/4 load blank."

11. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Yeah, some random comments and questions:

1. Even though I somewhat saw it coming (I though the post-dressing room bar was just an elevator, you could see that it was lifting if you look at the door in the background as he's drinking), the transition from the dressing rooms to being in Westworld was kinda neat.

2. Dolores found a gun. I'm betting somehow this one actually works against newcomers.

3. Speaking of guns, I'm curious if they have more backstory on how they work (it doesn't need to be all that realistic, just consistent). Here we had a host shot through walls with a gun, which means the chance of a newcomer getting a stray bullet may happen

3. Wonder if we'll find out more about how the androids are nominally built. In addition to the 3d-printed stuff and the white dunk tank stuff, they also have "blood" (that's apparently required for their operation according to the MIB) and skin, and they can host MRSA. But whatever it is also doesn't rot when they sit for years in cold storage.

4. I'm liking Elsie. I always like sardonic characters, and she actually reminds me (and looks a lot like) one of my more sarcastic-but-no-nonsense coworkers.

5. The whole Bernard and Therese scene had a weird vibe to it. I'm now seriously wondering if one of them is actually a host.

6. From what we've seen so far, who the F thinks bringing a kid is a good idea (although I'm almost certain this week's kid is actually a host)?

7. While I liked it, the pace seemed a bit slow to me this week, and without a huge amount of setup. Hopefully things pick up a bit.

PurpleMonkeyDish likes this.
  12. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Also, I'm feeling the need to fire up the PS3 and play Red Dead Redemption. :)

13. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    Did we see the MiB unload fake bullets and load real bullets into his gun? And his gun had a modification to have a firing pin, right?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about guns :)

14. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Well, he unloaded the fake bullets to hand two to the daughter for the later scene.

He also keeps a second cylinder of bullets to swap in.

But since you brought it up, that gun he has is kind of interesting. It's a variant on a LeMat revolver, basically a Civil War-era Confedaracy weapon, that's fairly unique in that it actually has 10 shots: 9 in a revolver cylinder, and a larger single-shot barrel mounted below. There's a special cocking you do to switch the hammer from striking the revolver cylinders to the larger central cylinder, and they show him actually doing that. That's the bullet that went through the wall. Looked like a 20 ga or so.

(All the LeMat's I've seen were ball-and-powder, but for all I know 44 cartridge versions existed as well)

15. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    This could be a good or bad thing about this show (reminding me of Mr. Robot). Who is real and who is robot? I didn't really get the point of MiB unloading and loading the gun, but I've also been wondering if maybe he's a robot.

Interesting that the girl knew about the maze. So there seems to be a consciousness evolving, with memories necessary for the transmission of culture and personality.

I wonder who in the inside directed Deloris (er, Mulva) to the gun? Is that a host or a human? Is it maybe a host at sub-level 83? I'm thinking that it almost surely is a newcomer-killing gun.

Does the quotation from Romeo and Juliet "These violent delights have violent ends" run a program that gives the hosts memory? It sure seemed like Deloris gave it to the Madame.

ellinj likes this.
  16. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    In the movie, the guns wouldn't fire at warm blooded humans, but would at the cold, mechanized robots. Given that my computer runs way hotter than me, I don't think that explanation works anymore. I think the robots have WiFi radios, and the guns only work if they detect WiFi in the target. So leave your smartphone in the locker!

17. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    In last week's episode, when the family with a young kid comes across Delores painting, the father of said kid says, "I don't think we should cross the river. It's too adult for Jacob." So it's seems there is an area of the park that is supposed to be family-friendly. That probably won't last, of course!

In this week's episode, I agree, the kid is a robot.

18. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Yeah, that was pretty obvious when the kid dropped the stick and walked away on command.

19. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    And yet it was claimed in this episode that there's no guidebook, so how would they know that? :D (I know, I know, it's probably in the TripAdvisor reviews.)

20. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH

But the "friendly" part still has the whorehouse practically next to the train station. And the occasional gore bath of a shootout