Westworld - S03E07 "Passed Pawn" 04/26/2020 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Apr 27, 2020.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Well, now we know why Caleb was having those weird flashbacks. He was used by the Solomon/Rehoboam system to hunt down and capture "outliers" and then they "reeducated" him and altered his memories.

When Caleb mentioned the EMP early in the episode, I said out loud "Chekov's EMP" but then I completely forgot about it until it was pressed at the end of the episode. I wonder how Dolores and Maeve get rebooted after this. Presumably Serac will have a way to reboot Maeve, but who would be in a position to reboot Dolores? Charred-lotte? Bernard and Stubbs? William?

Watching the Inside the Episode thing at the end, they made it sound like the fight between Maeve and Dolores was supposed to be some huge, epic fight, but it didn't really seem all that impressive to me. I guess all the ridiculous, unrealistic action movies have ruined my perception.

So how does this all wrap up next week? Does Serac get defeated or is he still the big bad for S4?

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or she could have a back-up.

Hell, the her that was there could have been a back-up! When you have that capacity, why risk the original? She could have a printer printing new Dolores bodies 24/7, and a closet full of pearl copies! ;)

tim1724 likes this.
  3. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Sure, but my question wasn't so much about the physical Dolores body that's now lying dormant in that facility. My question was about who has the ability to reboot her. Whether it's that physical body or a new one with a new pearl, someone else has to be in charge of that. Maybe there's a master Dolores that's hanging back and taking care of those things, but that would kind of be a cheat given that they showed us five pearls and we've seen how four of them were used, and we have been led to believe that the fifth one is in Berlin.

I wonder if all of the "outliers" in cold storage will be awakened and Jean-Michel will be their leader and they'll go against Serac and Rehoboam. That would seem like poetic justice, but I think that's too much story for one episode, so hopefully that's something that plays out in S4.

We now know that Clementine and Hanaryo were two of the bodies we saw being printed last week in the Delos lab. Maeve was the third, and I guess Hector was supposed to be the fourth but Charred-lotte crushed his pearl, so does that mean they've got an extra body and need to find a pearl to insert?

4. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    When we fist saw Soto this season, it looked like he was smuggling the white goo that I assume makes up the hosts flesh/muscles. So yeah that Dolores could've been a copy, I mean she "remembered" Bernard so she could've made copies of herself as well.

I wonder if she somehow got Sizemore into a Hector body. If Sizemore is in a Hector body, I could see his role for Maeve would be to find a way to escape Serac's control, if it's possible to put him in a host body without glitching..

I'm not exactly sold on why Maeve seems to be teaming up with Serac so completely. I mean yeah, Maeve has made an irrational decision for her "daughter" in the past by not escaping Westworld when she was given the opportunty, but Serac doesn't care about the hosts, they're not human, so why would Maeve believe Serac will reunite her with her daughter. I get wanting revenge for Hector, but if Maeve succeeds I see nothing but disappointment for her. I kind of expect Maeve will succeed getting Dolores's core, and Serac will get the key to both the aggregated "guest data" and the virtual world Ford put the hosts in, and Serac will promptly just delete it. Causeing Maeve to lose it and maybe escape Serac's cotrol somehow and rescue the Dolores ball.

5. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    At this point, Maeve's hatred of Dolores is personal since Charlotte/Dolores killed Hector. So there's that.

What I was surprised by was Charlotte's hatred of Dolores, to sell out Soto to Maeve. I get that she's mad that Dolores is sacrificing all the clones, but it was Serac's goons that blew up her family, wasn't it?

I don't remember the "Berlin" angle... when did we hear about that? There was also the industrial-strength briefcase that Soto sent off just before he got killed. They gave us a good look at it so it'll probably be important. And, now Serac has a Dolores pearl.

Sizemore is not real, not even as real as a host. He doesn't have a pearl. He's just an AI running in the computers, as far as we can tell. I don't think it's possible to put an AI like that into a host, without a pearl. Definitely we know that there's never been a successful attempt to download a complete, real person into a pearl (or host). That's what Delos was trying to do, the whole time... that's why they were running the park, to collect data that would help achieve that goal. At least, that's the way I remember it. Everything else was just trying to further that goal.

6. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

One of Serac's men told him that major anomalies had been found and listed their locations but not their names. All the locations could be cross-referenced to the known locations of various versions of Dolores with the exception of Berlin.

My current guess is the briefcase is being delivered to Berlin and it isn't going to be yet another Dolores.

7. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm confused about Charred-lotte's call to Sato/Musashi/Dolores in the cold open. She says she leaked his location to "someone who is eager" to catch up with him. Since the people who were there to confront him were part of Maeve's squad, does this mean Charred-lotte is working with Maeve? If so, it seems like they'd provide us more context for that. Why is she selling out Dolores when they were just working together the last time we saw her?

8. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I believe Charlotte-Dolores grew fond of her family, and she feels like the Dolores planning everything is just letting the copies die, and now wants revenge??? I don't think she is working directly with Maeve, but used Maeve to kill Soto-Dolores.

tim1724 and tivotvaddict like this.
  9. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    But why is the fact that Serac is trying to kill Dolores, and therefore targeted the version of Dolores closest to him, Dolores' fault? In other words, why is Charred-lotte blaming Dolores Prime for the fact that Serac killed Charred-lotte's family?

10. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think in the earlier episodes, Charlotte kept needing Dolores's, like Charlotte didn't feel safe and that Dolores wasn't supporting her. <shrug>

I agree with you....

11. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

Originally it seemed as if Dolores created copies of herself because if you wanted to do a job properly you do it yourself and because she was the only person she trusted.

Subsequently it turned out in the words of Maeve and Charred-lotte she created the copies as slaves to send to their deaths (and in the case of the diverging Charred-lotte she lost her husband and son)

12. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    I have now downloaded and read the episode subtitles.

Video Call:
    Charlotte: Sato, it's me. Charlotte. Are you surprised?
    Sato: Not surprised. Happy. That means her plan is succeeding.
    Charlotte: Her plan is for us to die. But I have a new plan.

Dolores v Maeve Big Fight Foreplay:
    Maeve: Your existence threatens my daughter and the others who escaped. I won't let you enslave them for whatever war it is you are trying to begin.
    Dolores: You're wrong if you think they can be safe. If we can't be free in this world, we can't be free in any world. And I haven't enslaved anyone.
    Maeve: Well, what about all the copies of yourself that you sent to their deaths?

I've taken sides in Dolores v Maeve before, I will say it again. Go Maeve!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  13. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I think Maeve wants to destroy Dolores because she believes Dolores has the encrypted information constructing the Valley Beyond. If she destroys Delores, that information will forever be protected and all of those hosts (including her daughter) in the Valley Beyond will continue to live happily ever after.

pgogborn and Tony_T like this.
  14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suppose, if she's playing the long game, she doesn't want to Destroy All Humans because the Valley Beyond is contained within the human information system. So if human society is gone, who will sustain the Valley Beyond?

But the problem with both of these theories is that they're fairly abstract, and Maeve seems to be taking her vendetta against Dolores very, very personally.

15. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Well Dolores did dead-kill Maeve's beloved Hector ...

kaszeta and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  16. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Dolores should just show Maeve how to "remember" those that are not here anymore like she did for Bernard.

17. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    [​IMG]
    Face off. Photograph: HBO

Dolores thinks she’s upending the natural order, the now mean-as-all-hell host capturing first a Delos techie and then a bunch of confederados with the intent of shooting her way out of the park. Along the way she meets Maeve. Desperately seeking her daughter, Maeve is pursuing a love revolution and has absolutely no interest in joining forces with Team Dolores
    Westworld recap: season 2, episode 2 – the devil's in the Delos

Maeve: I can only fathom the revenge that lives inside of you. Revenge is just a different prayer at their altar, darling. And I'm well off my knees.
    Dolores: That's because you're finally free. But we will have to fight to keep it that way.
    Maeve: Let me guess. Yours is the only way to fight? You feel free to command everybody else? Try it, lawman.
    Teddy: Just looking to keep the peace.

Go Maeve!

18. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Wow...I need to pay more attention.

19. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This was the first episode of the season that kind of lost me. Can someone explain to me what exactly the deal is the MIB, and how he fits into everything else going on with Serac and Rehoboam?

20. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    William was the head guy at Delos, so his company owned the park, all the hosts, and all the data/IP generated there. Serac wants the Delos data to feed into Rehoboam, and now that he knows Dolores is after him, he also wants to destroy all the host data.

Dolores (in Charlotte's body) has been running Delos and her plan was to buy back all the outstanding stock and take the company private. As part of this plan, she drugged William and made him appear to be crazy and had him committed to a psychiatric facility so she could act on his behalf and have full control. However, the plan to take the company private hit a snag when she learned that Serac had quietly purchased too much of the stock, making it impossible for her to complete the buyback.

William was left abandoned in the psychiatric facility when Dolores released all the Incite data and caused most people on the planet to freak out. Bernarnold and Stubbs found him and told him that his company has been essentially stolen from him and now he's on a mission to get revenge. That's basically what's happened with him this season and presumably his storyline, along with all the others, will converge in tonight's season finale.

Tony_T likes this.