1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westworld 6/3/18 "Les Écorchés"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Jun 3, 2018 #1 of 67
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Is it me, or was Anthony Hopkins not in the same place as the other actors? It looked like he was shot with a different camera/lighting, and there were a lot of awkward shots that looked like they were meant to cover up the use of doubles...

2. Jun 3, 2018 #2 of 67
    kaszeta

kaszeta Ceci n'est pas une conserve TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Nice use of the Beethoven’s 7th trope.

RGM1138 likes this.
  3. Jun 3, 2018 #3 of 67
    kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    And damn, gonna need yet another edit to the timeline

4. Jun 4, 2018 #4 of 67
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That wouldn't surprise me since most of his scenes he was just supposed to be a figment of Bernard's imagination.

5. Jun 4, 2018 #5 of 67
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think I'm correct that there were basically two different timelines shown in this episode, and they're probably about a week apart. There's Bernard with Elsie, which is around a week after the Gala Massacre, and then there are the scenes where Bernard is with Charlotte, and those are 2+ weeks after the Gala Massacre.

I wonder what happened to Maeve after Dolores & Co. left her in the basement of the Mesa to die. I guess Sizemore was there to help her, but he's likely to get himself shot, unless Dolores & Co. didn't leave anyone alive. And what happened to Felix and Sylvester? They'd be the ones most likely to be able to patch her up.

Where is the place that Bernard is taking Charlotte to find the backup? Did he really put the backup in that location, or is he leading them into a trap?

6. Jun 4, 2018 #6 of 67
    tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    I have a feeling that we’re going to see some of the “dazed” Bernard scenes from earlier in the season over again, but this time with Ford talking during all the gaps where Bernard is staring off into space.

7. Jun 4, 2018 #7 of 67
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Okay, lemme see if I’m following. Ford is only in the matrix. Bernard had to direct interface his pearl with the cradle to communicate with him.

But, now, the system has rebooted, Bernie has his pearl back, and Ford is in there too? Or, Ford is using the system to transmit to Bernard?

I’m not quite understanding how that works.

Why isn’t MiB dead? Or, is this his host now?

I really want to see how they’re doing the freeze scenes, with the actors moving through the shot. It’s almost like bullet-time but with movie cameras instead of still cameras.

8. Jun 4, 2018 #8 of 67
    pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Even though he has taken his collaboration with the jack boots to a new level I still think Lee Sizemore is the human most likely to become a better human.

Previously I posted that as Bernard was not human Karl Strand was looping him because he could not waterboard him. How wrong could I get?

I was hoping and expecting that as we are getting close to the season finale the timelines would start to be untangled, instead the Gordian Knot is even tighter.

Elsie, you can do better than that.

Does the Ghost Nation picking up of Maev's daughter somehow fit to their protection of humans role or is something new going on.

Does Teddy actually know how to use a haptic jacket or does he think it is a flak jacket ;)

9. Jun 4, 2018 #9 of 67
    RGM1138

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    And apparently, the haptics have no ballistic protection at all, as most of the PMCs were shot, and stabbed, right through them, seemingly.

Some, with their own guns.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    On the "Next on..."
    Ghost Nation appears to be a big focus of the next episode

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    What's ironic is it wasn't as noticeable in the scenes where Ford was a figment in Bernard's mind, but it was extremely noticeable in the scenes where they were both in the Matrix.

kaszeta likes this.
  12. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    An updated timeline (updated with this most recent episode), to help folks hopefully understand when the below things took place. Here is the site of the folks who created it:
    [​IMG]
    The creators of the above timeline don't claim it's 100% accurate, and as new episodes air, they are revising it as needed.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    tim1724 and DevdogAZ like this.
  13. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    As I become increasingly confused with this show, I am starting to lose interest.

14. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I'm too mentally exhausted by the time I watch the show I can't and don't keep up.

Tony_T likes this.
  15. kaszeta

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I'll admit that even I'm a little baffled by a few things, especially my OCD for small details.

Items bugging me right now:

1. We're still missing at least two scenes with Bernard (the black to white shirt transition, and losing the scar). Starting to think that some of the scenes may be him remembering things, and in that case his own view of himself might not include the scar, further complicating things.

2. Angela went from having the crown of thorns and mussy hair to having perfect skin and blown-out hair in the Cradle. Missing a scene? Filming error? Or does she have access to the same nanotech that kept Elsie's hair perfect in the cave?

3. Revisiting Ford's RDF workshop under the remote cabin, there's now no host on the printer. Whatever Ford was printing is done (and we do see bit of the dead robotic dog still there). What was he printing?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    tim1724 likes this.
  16. Lord Snow

Lord Snow Member

Jul 27, 2017
    The lesson we learn is no one is happy. Humans are in search of immortality to make them feel more comfortable with life/death etc.. while the hosts are in search of mortality to have their "life" have a purpose and meaning. Kind of deep sense that humans/hosts are both in search of the thing that they aren't supposed to - or can't - have.

17. RGM1138

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    That’s sounds quite logical. But,
    if that’s it, that’s the moral to the story, what are they going to say for the rest of this season and all of next?

18. Lord Snow

Lord Snow Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Ford knew that his creations were coming to smash the Cradle. That's why he hitched a ride with Bernard.

19. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I found it interesting that "fidelity" seems to be very important to Delos, but not so important to Ford. The Delos faction wants to be able to faithfully reproduce humans as hosts. Ford wants to make something better, perhaps incorporating bits of the original (as he did with Arnold/Bernard) but without the goal to yield an identical duplicate. Delos's duplicated humans fail rapidly in the real world. Ford's hosts survive, thrive, and dominate. At this pace, Ford's plan is going to win.

On a similar note, is it really Delos's plan that they can gather enough data through observation to be able to achieve fidelity? It seems a stretch that observation is sufficient. The amount of possible neural networks that you'd have to create in order to come across one that just happened to behave like an observed guest seems impractical, and then even once you do achieve it, you don't know whether the host is behaving like the human for the same reasons the human did, or if it's just coincidence. You've mimicked the behavior without necessarily mimicking the motivations and thoughts that lead to the behavior. Or is it the contention that the two are the same?

20. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    to be clear - isn't the cradle backup what's in abernathy's orb?