Westworld 5/3/20 "Crisis Theory"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, May 3, 2020.

1. May 3, 2020 #1 of 36
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    As seems to be the case with Westworld season finalés, be sure to watch after the credits. There are two fairly important scenes.

Mother of mercy, is this the end of Dolores? I think it might actually be!

2. May 3, 2020 #2 of 36
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Maybe there's a Dolores pearl somewhere, otherwise... :(

Bernard sure was dusty.

tim1724 likes this.
  3. May 3, 2020 #3 of 36
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Technically the Haloris pearl is still out there and she has a plan.
    As soon as I saw dusty Springfield err, Bernard my first thought was "what about stubbs????"

4. May 3, 2020 #4 of 36
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Luckily, Bernard placed a Do Not Disturb sign on the door knob.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  5. May 4, 2020 #5 of 36
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Maybe I'm forgetting something, but it seems like the Wiiliam/MiB story line served almost no purpose. I remember reading an interview with Ed Harris a few weeks ago, after an episode that featured him, and it was clear he was disappointed with his role/story this season (although he said it low-key, it still came thru as "I can't believe this is all they give me to do"). Now in hindsight, that's helped reinforce my wonderings about his purpose in S3.

He loses control of Delos, goes thru therapy, beats the crap out of some people (including himself), goes on a mission, ends up finding Halores, who kills him with a host William. But unless there is some deeper meaning to all this, or some critical scenes I'm forgetting, if they had left out his entire character, would anything have changed this season?

6. May 4, 2020 #6 of 36
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Unless they're setting something up for next season (it'll be pretty cool having the Man in Black back!)...

7. May 4, 2020 #7 of 36
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I agree. William's arc this season was very disappointing. It was revealed in the previous episode that he was an outlier, just like Caleb. I thought this was setting up the character to play a pivotal role in the final episode, but alas, this was not the case. Compared to the previous two seasons, the character almost felt like an afterthought this season.

Speaking of which, did they ever answer exactly what was going on with William in the Season 2 finale post-credits scene? If so, I missed it.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  8. May 4, 2020 #8 of 36
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That could be what the Man in Black host is starting...

I have a pretty strong hunch that what they've done with William this season is to set him up for playing a much more substantial role next season...

tivotvaddict and tim1724 like this.
  9. May 4, 2020 #9 of 36
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    What about Lawrence (Clifton Collins, Jr.). He was the fifth Dolores pearl and we didn't see anything happen to him.
    Yeah, that was ridiculous. We're supposed to believe that this motel room stayed completely undisturbed for what looked like years, during an apocalypse when people will be seeking safe places and/or looting every possible thing?

I was kind of bummed we didn't see anything come of Chekov's army of frozen outliers from last season. Hopefully that's something that comes into play next season. Maybe the unending rows of outliers will be fighting the unending rows of new hosts.

tim1724 likes this.
  10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Maybe it wasn’t years that Bernard was in the motel. Maybe Stubbs dumped the waste basket on his head before he left. ;);)

11. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I may be waxing sentimental in isolation today, but a couple of scenes were rather touching.

-Evan Rachel Wood choosing -- really choosing -- to see the beauty. Fantastic delivery and a near perfect final statement if this is indeed the last time we see ERW as Dolores.
    - Bernard and Arnold's wife Lauren Bernard "I can't let him go." Lauren: "I never understood why people said that. If you love someone, why would you ever let them go?"

On the other hand, MIB had a completely unsentimental line that was equally rewarding: "That's not chaos. That's just pissants yelling and moaning."

12. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    [​IMG]

13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
  14. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I was totally ok with that, I mentally figured that Bernard and Stubbs found an out of the way place that was enough off the beaten path that no one would bother them, and then the chaos post-incite resulted in it being abandoned.

jasrub likes this.
  15. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    This entire season felt like a pointless diversion. In the beginning of the season we find there's a supercomputer controlling mankind and some shady dude associated with it. By the end of the season the supercomputer is erased and the shady dude is dead or dying. The plot (humans are being controlled, just like hosts were being controlled) is tangential to the whole Delos plot of the first two seasons. We introduced a new lead that we don't really care about and we seemed to put him in the pivotal role of deciding the future for all of mankind. The post-credits scenes position S4 for the great humans-vs-hosts battle. This whole season could have been skipped and S4 could have started after the conclusion of S2. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, it just dropped down an order of magnitude for me from exceptional SciFi to average. I'd have still watched it, but they could have given the series a different name and recast the characters for all I care.

Stuffing Delores clones in several host bodies turned out to be less interesting that stuffing real host pearls in those bodies.

The Delores-in-Charlotte turning against Delores-in-Delores was predictable. If you fork a strong character into two different independent copies, they're going to compete against each other.

New William feels a lot more Yul Brynner to me now that he did in the first two seasons. The humanity stripped away we're left with a emotionless killing machine. He's gonna be epic in S4.

I hope Stubbs hasn't been waiting in that tub all that time. The ice probably melted.

GoPackGo and gweempose like this.
  16. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    There's like five recent branches of the basic Dolores code to draw from. Just gotta take one of the many Dolores branches out there, call that the new master, and cherry pick a few of the other branch commits back to the new master. Boom. Good enough. Ship it.

(Software engineering humor)

whoknows55 and tim1724 like this.
  17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it would obviously be trivial to bring her back. But the way they presented this death was very elegiac; it feels like they planned on this being the end for her. I mean, they didn't cut to a silent clock, but they might as well have. ;)

18. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    New theory: The entire world was destroyed years ago and everyone on the planet is actually a host :).

19. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm right there with you. I can't deny that this season was entertaining, but on the whole, it felt much more like your standard sci-fi/action fare. It made me realize that the main reason I found the first two seasons so compelling was specifically because it took place in the parks. Once they removed the characters from that setting, the show became much less interesting.

lparsons21 and smbaker like this.
  20. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    It's probably a sequel to the SciFi BSG series.