Westworld 4/12/20 "Genre"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

I love the log line for this episode: "Just say no." :D

2. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Anyone get a DEVS vibe from this episode?

I thought it was great and trippy! Loved the use of music, especially The Shining score.

3. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Three episodes left! Normally it is 10. Covid the reason and we will have 2 more later on? Hmmm...

4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, they finished up ages ago. This is how they planned it.

5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

Im confused. Who is who? Who is a robot? Wheres Walter White?

6. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    They got on the subway at the Pershing Square station -- and decades into the future, the train cars still had "25 Years of Metro Rail" stickers from 2015 on them.

They got off the subway at the Vermont Ave./Santa Monica Blvd. station -- where the signs say "Santa Monica," but it's nowhere near Santa Monica, i.e., the beach.

And then they went up the escalator back at the Pershing Square station -- very obvious because the station's unique neon art piece was in the background.

tim1724 and kaszeta like this.
  7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Things are different in the future...

8. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    These characters are all Delores Abernathy. She made copies of herself.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So far only Maeve and William(Man in Black) know Dolores is in the real world in a body (or bodies) that are not her own, and of course us the audience.

Maeve is a host (robot) but under Serrac's control. Serrac wants Maeve to hunt down Dolores for info she has on the aggregated data Delos (the park) was collecting on their guests to make copies of them.
    [​IMG]

These guys are hosts (robots) as well.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

William is a big question mark at the moment. He either died near the end of season 2 then Dolores remade him, or he survived somehow.. We don't know for sure..
    [​IMG]

Walter White I assume is in the Parisian nuclear desert making Genre
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well I was hopeful that this season wouldn't be as confusing as the previous seasons. It started out pretty good, but now, I'm just lost as usual. I don't know why I torture myself through this. But it sure looks perty!!

gossamer88 and Tony_T like this.
  10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Really? I've been impressed with how straight-forward this season is...

A welcome change from last season, when they tried (largely in vain) to replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle of the first.

tim1724 and DevdogAZ like this.
  11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This last episode was especially confusing to me. That's why I thought it was pretty good for the most part, especially the first 3 or so episodes. I think the writers just try and get too cute and just hint at stuff rather than actually just come out and say it. That's been the problem with this series from the beginning with all the flashbacks and so forth. I'm convinced their goal is to confuse the audience as much as possible. Well they've succeeded with me. But perhaps this is common with Sci Fi and I just don't have the mindset for it. Obviously this is my opinion. YMMV.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Huh. For me, this episode and the previous one were where everything started falling into place.

But I've been a sci-fi guy literally since I learned to read, so maybe I just "speak the language"...

13. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    It is dense material, both thematically and story. (I'm convinced the five Genres weren't understood by half the audience) I still watch the YT recaps of Westworld episodes to tell me what I saw, and more importantly, what I missed.

kaszeta likes this.
  14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Is that how we should watch TV? We should need to go somewhere to tell us what we just watched? That's crazy. To get certain nuances (like we did with a show like Lost for example, or The Sopranos), I get that, but after spending an hour watching something and going WTF did I just watch? That's crazy

15. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

Definitely not all TV but I think there is room for this sort of program just so long it is a minor not major part of TV output.

16. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Dense is a good way to describe it. I don't usually need recaps or references, but it's a lot of random data to keep floating around my head, and a lot of little details I didn't realize until thinking back over episodes (like Incite coming along well after Delos started up, and potentially Paris getting nuked well after Westworld was established)

17. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

From what I could tell from their reactions none of the users of the subway had anything good in their futures.

With this sort of show I get enjoyment out of checking references, I was aware of the general background of Dolores' "truth shall set humans free" but after a Google I particularly enjoyed discovering a Gloria Steinem quote "The truth will set you free, but first it willl piss you off".

I did not need to Google to recall that Mageret Thatcher notoriously allegedly said "anybody over the age of 25 using a bus is a faliure", which by itself is a reason not to vote for a Thatcherite, but I do wonder if the people riding in luxury cars received more enjoyable messages on their phones.

18. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    While I don't usually recognize my LA stations, that one I do know. I know a bartender that works nearby at The Virgil.

19. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    That's the caveat of serialized long-form storytelling. You aren't meant to "get it" in one or a few episodes. You need see the whole elephant. We're not watching TV, we're watching 8-10 hour movies. For me, this is way better than straight, less dense, episodic TV.

It did bother me at first, needing to watch these recaps, but the folks that create them obsess far more and overthink this silly little show about robots than I ever will. And I appreciate the brevity of a 15min YT vid without hashing out the episode in forum discussion. A lot of these recaps are actually well-thought and insightful.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    As with Rob, I thought this episode really helped answer what's going on this season. Serac and his brother built Rehoboam, which could accurately predict human behavior on a massive scale. They created the Incite Corporation and brought Liam Dempsey Sr. in to be the face of the company and convinced him by showing him that they could use their algorithm to turn $5 million into $100 million in no time flat.

As Incite/Rehoboam gathered data on everyone in the world, it began to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If it predicted a bad outcome for someone, it would put restrictions on that person to try and prevent the bad outcome, or at least minimize the effects. This is why so many of the people who received their Incite files were unfit for marriage and not approved for reproduction. Rehoboam basically created a society where everyone follows a prewritten path and it keeps society in line. This is depicted by the white circle/black ring we've seen multiple times this season. In this episode, we learned it's an eclipse, and as long as Rehoboam is doing its job, the "moon" is largely blocking out the "sun" with only a few minor divergences here and there, which the system detects and corrects.

We saw in flashback that Serac was imprisoning those who could not be controlled by the system, and he was experimenting on them in an attempt to edit their genes and "fix" them. One of those imprisoned was Serac's brother, who was impulsive and uncontrollable. The brother had run millions of simulations and the system predicted that Dempsey Sr. would find out about this experimentation and would go public, which would then destroy the world. So he planned to kill Dempsey Sr., which led to Serac imprisoning him. Yet apparently Serac determined that what the brother had predicted was true, so Serac went ahead and killed Dempsey Sr. and made it look like he died in a plane crash. Thus, Incite and Rehoboam were able to continue on uninterrupted for many more years.

But then along comes Dolores who resents that humans made her and dictated to her what she could and couldn't do while in the park, so she is determined to destroy Rehoboam, which is essentially doing the same thing to humans. The first several episodes of this season we've seen her efforts to infiltrate Incite so she could get access to undermine it. Finally in this episode, they were able to get Liam Dempsey Jr. to cooperate and due to the previous preparations she had made (i.e. putting a Dolores-brained version of Connells in place), she was able to use Dempsey Jr.'s credentials to access Serac's files and then send individual files to everyone in the world. This is going to start the version of events that the system predicted would happen if Dempsey Sr. went public with the imprisonment and experimentation. It's now going to be a battle between Serac (using Maeve) and Dolores to "save" the world, although each side thinks they're doing the saving and the other is destroying it.