Western Digital WD7500AAKS ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Raoul99, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Raoul99

Raoul99 A/V Addict

Sep 27, 2006
    Central Mass.

Advertisements

I just bought a new TivoHD, and would like to upgrade the hard drive.

Do any of you have the Western Digital WD7500AAKS ?
    How has it been for reliability? Is it fairly quiet?

Thanks,

Rick

2. stevieboy

stevieboy New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Rick

I just updated my TiVoHD yesterday with that drive using WINmfs. I did use the Hitachi Feature Tool to change the acoustic management settings to 128. Drive seems very quite and everything went smooth as silk. Time will tell about reliability but over the years i've had a lot of luck with WD drives.

Steve

3. Jon65

Jon65 New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    I did exactly the same thing, same drive, but used linux hdparm settings to change the acoustic management. Zero problems so far after 6 weeks.

Jon

4. Raoul99

Raoul99 A/V Addict

Sep 27, 2006
    Central Mass.
    Thanks for the response guys. This drive looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Any others have any experience with this?

Rick

5. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002

Advertisements

I am happy you started this thread. There is a $179.99 special at Fry's right now.

However, I have had bad experience with WD desktop drives over the years. This one has a 3yr warranty though. However it is not one of the AV series TiVo uses in the TiVo HD.

So what do I do? Worst concern to me would be hard drive failure on a TiVo - losing recordings and taking this "mission critical" device down.

6. raiden256

raiden256 Member

Mar 30, 2002

Me too. This was my exact experience!

7. wizzy

wizzy S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Nov 11, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've had this drive in my TivoHD for about 2 months, with no issues. I changed the drive acoustics, and have had no complaints. Can't remember which software it was specifically, but it was on the Ultimate Boot CD .

8. csiddens

csiddens New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Mountain...
    Just did this same upgrade myself, using the Fry's bare drive on sale at $179.99. The first drive I bought failed the WD full check, so I returned it and picked up another.
    Everything seems to be running smoothly; I do hear some seek noise when I listen really carefully. However, I used a USB-SATA cable, and couldn't get the Hitachi feature tool to recognize the drive, so it's at the stock value. I'm assuming the tool doesn't recognize USB, but if there's a way to get the tool to recognize it without an internal SATA port, I'd love to know how.