Western Digital Caviar Creen 2TB at Best Buy for $80 - good choice?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by oregonman, Oct 21, 2011.

1. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    Best Buy has a WD 2TB drive in retail packaging for $79.99:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western...rive/9234465.p?id=1218064150518&skuId=9234465

They list it as the Model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN - no mention of the WD20???? designation, but I searched and found the following post here:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8507588&highlight=WDBAAY0020HNC#post8507588

that says: The drive inside the WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN is a WD20EACS with a 16MB cache and the sticker on the top of the drive has the advanced format warning.

I am looking for a drive to upgrade my Premiere. I was hoping to get one soon for around $80 and was wondering if this is a good choice or if it should be avoided. I can't find either another WD or Hitachi at the $80 price point right now, though Fry's has a Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB for $77 right now. But the Seagates don't seem to be popular here and I found one post from someone who had problems with this drive.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I recently got the WD20EARS at amazon.com for $70.

3. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    You can take it back and pay $79 at Best Buy... ;)

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    the prices are about to take a jump due to the production problems. get them cheap while you can.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If that little wrap-around sticker says 16MB cache, it's most likely a WD20EACS.

Go to the store and look at the bottom of each box. If you find one that says WD20000CSRTL, it's most likely an older WD20EADS, which is 32MB of cache, 3.0 Gb/s, jumperable down to 1.5, and the old non-advanced format 512 byte sector type. The little wrap-around sticker may say 32MB, or it may just say 2TB. You can take them to customer service to pay, and tell them you want to open it up to make sure it's a WD20EADS (you can see the label through the anti-static bag without opening it.

They should ring up as the same price as the WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN.

I wish the Best Buy here still had some, 'cause you don't have to do any voodoo to get them to work with Windows XP, and they should work in any TiVo that can handle a 2TB drive.

They're also good for using on an XP machine running Windows Desktop.

You format them as one big NTFS partition, and you can have as many as you can get your computer to run, have the "My TiVo Recordings" folder on a different, faster drive, and put shortcuts to them on that drive so the TiVo can see them, and transfer to the faster drive and then sort them into folders on the EADS'es.

6. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    That BB drive looks to be the current offering from WD, and that's a good price. Per the WD site, it comes with AF and a 32MB cache. I don't know if there's any history with that drive, but the other WD green drives have performed well for TiVo.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you enlarge the picture on the Best Buy page, you see the little wrap-around sticker on the right says 16MB, which almost certainly means the WD20EACS.

I don't know of a Caviar Green with 32MB of cache and advanced format.

The WD20EADS is 32MB, but 512 byte sector, non-advanced format.

8. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    You can't miss the WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN on the WD web store. It clearly states 32MB and AF.

I wouldn't trust the BB web photo. I've seen incorrect photos on NewEgg WD drives, and it would surprise me that BB has done the same. Instead, buy the model number, not the photo.

9. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Does Tivo take advantage of more cache and AFS?

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Buy the model number on the sticker on the drive, not the model number on the box.

I don't trust anyone's photo. Not even Western Digital's.

Back in May of this year (2011) I bought a WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN from J&R based on the photo on their site which showed the box with the 32MB on the wraparound sticker, and their photos on Amazon which actually showed the top of the drive sticker of a WD20EADS, which was what I wanted.

When the package arrived the bottom of the box said

WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN

and the sticker on top of the drive said WD20EACS

Apparently WD has some stock numbers that they use for whatever they feel like putting in the box at any given time.

The 2TB WD Elements external is known for containing anything from the EACS up to a Caviar Black.

With the floods in Thailand, we're probably going to see a bunch of counterfeits anyway.

And that WD link you give clearly states 32MB, but as to advanced format, you have to read the fine print and interpret that where they say (RS and RSDTL models only) they mean the RS in WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN

You'd think drive makers would brag about the new 4k sectors big time, but they all work overtime to make it a chore to find out which models do or don't have them.

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm not sure if it's been settled beyond all question whether which models of TiVo do or don't have any problems with "advanced format".

Admittedly my understanding of the whole TiVo partitioning scheme is limited, but then again I'm no expert on the DOS way either.

13. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    These are on sale again for $79.99.

Thanks for all the info. The price had gone back up before I had a chance to read the replies, so I didn't end up getting it. I did check one Best Buy and the drives on the shelf were the advanced format version according to the info provided in unitron's post.

I'll probably check another Best Buy and see if they have any of the old versions on the shelf and get one if they do. It sounds like the newer version should work fine as several people apparently use advanced format drives without problems, but I ended up hooking up an old DVR expander drive that I had, thinking that I might not see decent prices on drives for a while, so if they only have the newer drives, I'll pass and wait to upgrade for a while.

14. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo New Member

Feb 10, 1999
    Seattle, WA
    I use a WD20EURS (4K block advanced format) drive without difficulty in a Premiere XL. You should be fine with an advance format drive in a Premiere XL.

15. qdemn7

qdemn7 New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Fort Worth,...
    I picked one up at a BB here in Fort Worth, and got a WD20EARS - 64MB cache. So I'm happy. Going to upgrade my Premiere to 2TB using JMFS.

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What is the model number on the bottom of the box?

Perspiring minds want to know.:)

17. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Active Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Quad City...
  18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That appears to be the bare drive, not a retail box, if that matters to anyone. All WD is putting in their retail boxes these days is 4 screws.

The 16MB of cache of the WD20EACS should be more than enough for a TiVo.

And it's $13 more.

Thanks for the link, though, it's interesting to see that Best Buy seems to be holding down hard drive prices more than most everybody else. Maybe they'll have something really good on Black Friday.

And, of course, for anyone looking specifically for a WD20EARS for some other application it's a good find considering what others are doing with prices just now.

19. qdemn7

qdemn7 New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Fort Worth,...
    WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN

20. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There's a wrap-around sticker on the right hand side of the front of the box.

Does the part that wraps around to the right hand side of the box say anything about cache size or does it just say 2TB?

Thanks in advance for the intel