West Wing, 1-8-06 Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mykittykat88, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1 of 53
    mykittykat88

mykittykat88 New Member

May 24, 2003
    maryland

Advertisements

" ...not enough helium in the cosmos...."

Very good episode - savoring Leo's/John Spencer's presence....

2. Jan 8, 2006 #2 of 53
    Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    If, as I've suspected since the finale last season, the story arc was to be that the Congressman (Smits) would die and Leo (Spencer) would become president, they've got some scrambling to do.

Was this the beginning of a strep that was to develop eventually into pneumonia and then a fatally septic total system collapse?

3. Jan 8, 2006 #3 of 53
    IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I liked it too. Some really good dialog just like the good old days.

I also really like the interplay between Will and Kate. Mary McCormack might have something to do with that. Between her and Kristen Chenoweth, I'm really loving WW these days.

4. Jan 8, 2006 #4 of 53
    IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Noooooo!!! I'm looking forward to Teri Polo as the hottest first lady ever!!!

5. Jan 8, 2006 #5 of 53
    simsbotv

simsbotv New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    connecticut

Advertisements

Is that the finale for John Spencer..Leo???

6. Jan 8, 2006 #6 of 53
    Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Never fear. Even if my half-assed story projection was on-target, it's irrelevant now.

But more dangerous to your hope is the low expectation that WW will be back for another season.

7. Jan 9, 2006 #7 of 53
    Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Was it just me, or could you hear John Spencer wheezing through out the show? That made me sad.

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 53
    Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I'm really ready for the election to take place and someone to take office. It's tiring, and annoying to go back and forth between the West Wing and the campaign trail. It drags any thread on twice as long.

It was odd to see Leo in episode, and really freaky to have it be so Leo-centric as the first show to air after John Spencer's death. He did look older, more tired through most of the show, but it was great to see him pick up at the end. I know the older guy-younger woman thing is a cliche', but I hope we see him get a little action with Annabeth at some point. I half expected her to plant a big kiss on him after the debate.

Santos and the sneeze was either an obvious hint or just a mean tease at a future plot line. Since we have to wait two weeks for the plot to bounce back to the campaign it's annoying again since any cold should have resolved itself by then.

I went back an slow-mo'd the thong shot, they did show it as it happened. I didn't see the tattoo that someone mentioned later. It seemed too big and over dramatic when Santo's wife was so upset. Yes, they plastered her underwear on every supermarket checkout line, but did she honestly believe that it never showed above her jeans? It's not the same as if they used a long lens to peek through curtains into the bedroom, she was in the front yard. If this was in real life I agree that it would help rather than hinder since younger voters are usually under-represented and a first lady with a nice butt and a thong would catch their attention. Donna's talk with her about giving them something to report other than her underwear was exactly the right thing to tell her.

9. Jan 9, 2006 #9 of 53
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I spotted the thong when it first popped out on the lawn (but I'm a lech, so that's no surprise :)), and I immediately thought to myself that something was going to be made of it.

I'm surprised the tabloids went with such a relatively tame picture, however, when there are plenty of pictures from Teri Polo's Playboy spread floating around. ;)

"I forget, in D.C. do they let felons vote?"
    "..."
    "Too soon?"
    "Just a little bit."
    :D

10. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    It gave me chills when Leo said "often, the first symptom of a heart attack is death". How hard it must have been for his friends and family to hear that.

11. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    I liked how Martin Sheen started the episode. But my confusion now is, is this the last whole episode they had taped of John Spencer?

If so, the writers/producers have a pretty big hoop to jump through. I mean Leo is such a central role they might as well try jamming another actor in there.

I don't think Smits coughing at the end is anything terminal. It's probably just showing that he spent time with his kids and got sick because of it. Whether this effects the campaign trail ('He's sick! He's not fit to lead!') may come up but I doubt it.

Looks like we'll be focusing on the Bartlet family next week. Maybe we might focus on Bartlet at some point.

Leo wasn't in the future scene at the Bartlet library was he? Sadly, this is helpful to the WW producers.

RIP John Spencer :(

12. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    There will be 4 more episodes with John Spencer.

13. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I'm glad to get back to the old WW next week. These campaign eps have to be painful for anyone to watch (unless you are a pol yourself i guess). I surprised josh didn't kiss someone in that room :)

Anyone sense ms santos jealous of donna etc being in her house having a good time? I know she said she wished he spent more time with her, but I'm wondering if she's jealous for more reasons than she stated.

Loved how he couldn't even check his mail without the SS shutting down the street. I'd think it would have been on 'hold' at the PO for scanning anyway.

14. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I interpreted the Donna/Mrs Santos scene to be a foreshadowing of her being the First Lady's Chief of Staff, thus keeping her in a central role in the next season (should there be one and Santos wins).

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Either that or a 3-way with a very lucky Jimmy Smits. :D

(but yeah, I got the same foreshadowing vibe you did)

16. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Clearly I lack imagination this early in the morning.

I shall be resigning from my position as regional head of the Donna Moss Fan Club immediately.

17. Bananfish

Bananfish Preowned Member

May 16, 2002
    Belmont, CA
    So what does Santos's wife have stuck up her ass? Other than her thong that is.

I mean, geez, it's just dawning on her that being First Lady is invasive of your privacy? And that your husband will be somewhat busy if he gets the job?

18. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    They really have been overdoing the whole "everyone panics about impending [blank], but the candidate pulls it off at the last minute by just being himself." Off the top of my head, we had

-The Santos live commercial
    -Santos' "don't vote for me" speech at the convention
    -VP debates

I'm probably missing others. I wouldn't be suprised to see Santos do this one more time right before the election, since he's still polling down several points.

19. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I hadn't heard that the ratings were anywhere near that kind of level.

20. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    The move to Sunday nights has cut the "West Wing" audience from last season by 40% or so. At times, "West Wing" is battling against "The Simpsons" and "The War at Home" for third place among the networks.