Were the phone numbers for "DVR Service" disabled?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Doomster, Aug 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Doomster

Doomster Member

Nov 5, 2003

Advertisements

I have a DirecTivo DVR. Model is Hughes SD-DVR40. SW version is 6.4.

If the hard drive of the DVR is rebaked, the DVR has to make a phone call to the DVR Service.

I might need to rebake another SD-DVR40, which had its HD die.

So to verify that the phone numbers for "DVR Service" work, I tested it on the SD-DVR40 that works.

Based on my zip code, I was given a list of phone numbers to select from when I go to this menu choice:

Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Phone -> Change Phone Settings

I've tried over 15 of the numbers and none of them connect. The DirecTivo can dial the number but not make a connection.

Were these numbers disabled by AT&T or Tivo?

Is there a phone number I can use for DirecTivo for the 408 area code?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I seem to recall TiVo disabled dial-up service a few years ago.

Phasing out dial-up modem service

Scott

3. Doomster

Doomster Member

Nov 5, 2003
    So if I have to replace a balky HD on a Series 2 DirecTivo, how can I activate the Tivo service for the new HD if I don't use a network adapter and I can't make a phone call to activate it?

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I think you would have to use a network adapter if there is some activation process for a DirecTivo model. Hopefully someone who has DirecTivo experience can respond.

Scott

5. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago

Advertisements

Dial up doesn't work anymore. Guide data does not require the phone, it comes down off the dish like other DirecTV receivers. If you have to re-run GS you'll need a network connection - it's been about a hundred years since I've messed with an original DirecTivo but I recall there being some USB adapters that were supported under 4.0 and newer OSs (but this may have requred PTV hacks?). Try one of these? LINKSYS ETHERFAST 10/100 USB Network Adapter * USB100TX | eBay