Went back to Tivo!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by LeapfrogTIVOdude, Jan 23, 2006.

1. LeapfrogTIVOdude

LeapfrogTIVOdude Israel

Jul 22, 2005
    California

Advertisements

I had a r-15 and went back to Tivo.I am so happy to be back.I had many issues with the r-15 that were negative I will just leave it to that.I get wishlists again! and showcases!why did I ever leave?Never again!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    So what did you get? R10?

3. LeapfrogTIVOdude

LeapfrogTIVOdude Israel

Jul 22, 2005
    California
    Yes I got a R-10.

4. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    hombre pobre, you should have got a DSR-708 so you can hack it. :(

5. CsrLiz344

CsrLiz344 New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Ohio

Advertisements

After reading about all the issues with the new one, I already knew I would not get one. If one of my R-10's ever dies, I'll get another HD or buy one off of Ebay. Or, any of the TiVo's, not just R-10.

6. ironchef

ironchef Smiley Averse

Dec 27, 2002
    DId a recent upgrade/downgrade myself. My Hughes dvr had a stroke, so I went to an R15, I thought the user interface was clunky to the point of being obtuse. I hated it for that reason alone, wifey played with it for a couple of hours and declared it not ready for prime time.

I spent a day driving around the east bay looking for another HDVR40, got lucky at a Compusa/Circuit Circus. $65 bucks for the last dispaly model, 15 minutes to swap in a 120 gig drive and life is good again.

I've since done a lot more reading up on the whole new software controversy, I'm mystified by the step backward that DTV took in some of their features. For us the 30 sec skip was the real dealbreaker. We watch good commercials, ads for something we might use/need. We skip the 20th rep of the same ad in a half hour show, no matter how many times you put a Hummer ad on, I abhor the thing and I'm not going to buy it. I turn the page in a magazine for an ad I'm not interested in, why can't I do that on my TV?

Suggestions are the other power tool we didn't want to give up. Yes, it takes awhile for the box to narrow in our tastes, but it found a lot of content we'd never have looked at simply because we don't study TV Guide each week to see what's on in the nosebleed channels.

DTV had the ability to see how eople were using the box, did they just ignore that data or di multiple MBAs sit in meetings and try to take out all usability? Two key presses to get to the guide? How about one to the guide and another to bring up the filters _if_ I want them.

Don't get me started on trying to train my parents to use the colored buttons.....

7. hefman

hefman New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    I did the same thing. I replaced (moved to another room) a stand-alone 30-hour Sony with the D* R15. I liked the idea of two tuners and I couldn't beat the price (free with the rebate). I already own an HR10-250, so I figured it would be similar. Even the store sales guy told me the R10 and R15 were "basically identical" (he could not have possibly been more wrong).

What a mistake. I took it back to the store and ordered an R10 online at the same price and rebate. Unfortunately, I still have a gift card from the store or I'd never buy anything there again.

The D* commercials for the DVRs crack me up. They play up the ability to pause live TV, but don't say anything about the recording capability -- probably because it's so useless. If you don't mind a clunky, almost unusable user interface and glitchy video playback, then the R15 is for you. Otherwise, stick with the Tivo units.

8. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    The R15 user interface reminds me alot of the UltimateTV user interface. It was terrible too. But at least it had an excuse. It was five years old.

9. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    I loved the UTV interface it is like this in interface:
    1.UTV
    2.Tivo
    3.R-15

10. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Yeah, go figure. It reminds me of Microsofts first attempts at a semi graphical user interface. When I first turned the thing on, I thought it looked like something 10 yrs. old.

It seems to me though, that whichever machine you started with is the one you prefer.

11. Steve1212

Steve1212 New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    This is what i've been saying for quite some time. The R15 is the bottom of the barrell. Crap! We live in a highrise building and MDU services the building for directv and when the installer came yesterday to install my brothers tivo in his unit, he actually brought a R15. I told him right away, NO WAY! That sucks, we got the good stuff. Then i showed him the R10 i got, and we were well on our way.

12. ashforth

ashforth New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I ordered a Tivo from *D a couple of weeks ago and they delivered and instaled a R-15. I tried it for a while and did not like the unit. It seems to have been developed by a group of engineers that don't use them.

I removed the R-15 amd got a 7000 from Weaknees and love it! What a difference!

Herb