Well, that did not last long

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by OLdDog, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1 of 14
    OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001

Advertisements

I was only able to stand 2 months of cable. Even the HD offerings could not make up for the poor selections and the overall higher cost; not to mention the lack of customer service.

So, even though HD from D* is impossible at this time, I have reactivated two of my DTiVos and reinstated my D* service.

So I am back in the fold and will be active again on the TiVo forums.

BTW: The Moxi HD DVR that I had from Charter cable was not too bad BUT it was no TiVo and it ran a LOT hotter and used more power than all my DTiVos combined.

2. Aug 5, 2008 #2 of 14
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I have to ask why?

3. Aug 5, 2008 #3 of 14
    OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    I would have to relocate my dish and D* will not allow self install of HD and it would cost a minimum of $99.00 for a DVR with too little space for my needs.

I will not allow a D* installer to touch my equipment.

And the lack of wishlists that work correctly is still a show stopper for me. That is the recording feature I use the most and it would be even more important with HD.

4. Aug 5, 2008 #4 of 14
    dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I think he means HD on a Tivo.

5. Aug 5, 2008 #5 of 14
    ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC

Advertisements

Then just like a Tivo put a bigger hard drive on it.

6. Aug 5, 2008 #6 of 14
    markbox

markbox Ni!

May 3, 2004
    S.F. Bay...
    Do what I did. Leave all your existing equipment in place and
    have D* install the new dish and new HD DVR. That way they are
    not touching your equipment. Then you can get a 1 TB drive and
    the MX-1 e-SATA case and attach it to the back of the DVR and
    you'll have lots of space for programs.
    _
    I told the two installers that showed up that if they touched any
    of my existing cable runs, dish install or other existing
    equipment (all installed by me) they may as well pack up and
    leave.

7. Aug 5, 2008 #7 of 14
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    It implied a satellite sighting problem to me. But, his reply indicates his displeasure in the HR2x units.

8. Aug 5, 2008 #8 of 14
    shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Not for free anyway. No need to relocate since HD is from 99 and 103 and if you get good signals on 101 then you're all good unless you're shooting thru a narrow space in the trees.
    And it's easy enough to do it yourself if you have the ability, just buy the slimline dish at Solid Signal or similar store.

As mentioned, plug in a 1TB (or larger) drive via eSata and you're all set. You can replace the internal drive instead if you don't mind voiding your warranty and lease agreement.

Me neither. :D When I upgraded a couple years ago I had the installer simply replace my dish while I took care of replacing the multiswitch, cables and receiver. I wouldn't let him touch anything but the dish and frankly he was more then happy to let me do half his work for him.

Unfortunately not much you can do about that. You can do some pretty advanced autorecord searches with the HR2x via the boolean search terms (see DBSTalk for tons of details and see if it might meet some of your needs). But it's not a Tivo wishlist.

9. Aug 5, 2008 #9 of 14
    rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    I am very particular about my equipment as well. I ran all of my own additional coax. All the installer needed to do was install the dish and connect the cables.

While he assembled the dish, I installed the receiver in my equipment rack. By the time he had installed the dish, I was ready to test everything. No need for him to touch anything except the remote.

The "professional" installed did do a piss poor job installing the dish though. After a few good thunderstorms blew through, my alignment was off enough that I couldn't get any HD channels. It had been over 90 days so D* was no help even though I explained that they would not allow me to install the dish and their incompetent installer messed up. I'll never get that hour of my life back. The next morning I had adjusted the dish in 10 minutes and tightened everything much better than the installer ever would.

-Robert

10. spudly

spudly Isles&Fin Fan

Sep 19, 2001
    Pittsburgh ,PA
    Wait, I am confused. I thought the HD comes from either 110 or 119.
    I have an original pizza dish for DTV because any attempts in the past to upgrade to the oval dish was met with no line of sight due to very large trees on my neighbors property [feh, no luck on convincing him to cut them down! ;-) ]. When I first got DTV in 2000 I couldn't get locals until they moved to 101. About 2 years ago I tried again when I purchased an HD LCD TV but alas no luck. I can seem to make it with a straight shot to 101 (with great signal strength to boot), but any attempts at the other 2 sats are a no go.

:confused:

Thanks,
    Glenn

11. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    All the new HD channels that have been added the past 2 years have all been at 99 or 103. And just last week what HD was left at 110 or 119 has been mirrored to 99 and 103 thus all you need (assuming you have MPEG4 receivers of course) is 99, 101 and 103. In fact the latest dish, Slimline3 I think it's called, is only 99/101/103 and most new installs now will only get this dish. 110 and 119 are now only needed for some markets SD locals and spanish channels and if you need those then you'll get the 5 LNB Slimline dish.

12. spudly

spudly Isles&Fin Fan

Sep 19, 2001
    Pittsburgh ,PA
    Ahh, got it!

Of course it looks like the good news is tempered with bad (for me at least)- it is eminently important for me to keep my "lifetime TiVo" service. For me to take advantage of this dish (and HD) I would need to replace my current R10 receivers (which already replaced my original DSR6000s). Good to know (as I could retain DVR service at no charge through DTV), but I'll stick with my TiVo service instead of DirecTV DVR for now. Wow, what a decision NHL & NFL HD vs TiVo? :)

Thank you,
    Glenn

13. dtvtivouser_9292

dtvtivouser_9292 cfc62

May 15, 2004
    Ummmm.... just because you ADD HD doesn't mean that your would have to give up your SD DirecTivo units, that's what I'm considering right now.

14. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Yea, why give up your Tivo's? I still have one in service in the patio room. In my home theater I had an HR20 and a DirecTivo in service for quite a while until I got an HR21 so I would have 4 HD tuners. SD receivers still work just fine on an HDTV.