Well, I think I found my TiVo external IP (for what it's worth)

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by ptruman, May 13, 2011.

1. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    I setup YouTube last night, with my Google account.

Today, I get a Google suspicious activity alert, as something new on a new IP is using my account.

I believe the domain/range is VM (via NTL) - and the IP will be my box OR (worse) a proxy.

Thread on the VM forum is here (awaiting VM response) :

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5...m-the-TiVo-IP-range-please-Google/td-p/493441

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I think the IP of your Tivo is clearly visible in the "network settings" page so it's hardly a secret ;) It's in the 10.x rang, IIRC.

3. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    That's an INTERNAL (to VM) address, not visible to anything outside their network....

I posted before I managed to get it a 192.168 (LAN) address but that went away PDQ...

4. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Oh. Okay. :eek:

5. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    A number of ISPs are running residential customers inside a private network. This to avoid using up external IP addresses (among many reasons). It sucks for running any kind of services as you end up being behind two NAT routers (the ISP and then your own at home). Makes it pretty much impossible for an inbound services to function.

6. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    That may be true, but it's nothing to do with this case :)

7. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Sure it does. It helps explain why there may be several different IP addresses associated with the device. One for your internal network, another for the internal one up inside the ISP and then the ISPs external address associated with traffic from it (which may be from a proxy).

8. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    I don't care how many IPs the TiVo has (or hasn't) got - I want VM to confirm wether the IP that Google are seeing IS one belonging to TiVo.

I personally suspect it is, but when red bars appear on my (GMail) account activity screen, I tend to take note.

[EDIT] : They have just responded, confirming it is their IP range/TiVo.

9. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    The Tivo is not a network connection - it's just a client device connecting into VM's private network. It has nothing to do with your internal network or ISP.

For the (few) external connections it makes, it probably does go via a proxy. 99% of what it does stays within VM though.

10. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    That's what I wanted to tell him but didn't know how to phrase it. Then I forgot all about it :)

11. JaybirdUK

JaybirdUK New Member

Apr 9, 2005