"Welcome to the Neighborhood" cancelled due to controversy

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DaveyG, Jun 30, 2005.

1. DaveyG

DaveyG New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Please feel free to discuss in a manner that won't get this thread locked.

------------------------------------------------

ABC pulls reality show before its debut
    From AP Wire

''Welcome to the Neighborhood,'' an ABC reality series that pushes hot buttons of racism and anti-homosexuality, was pulled by the network before its debut.

The program had drawn criticism from groups claiming it risked fostering prejudice.

In a statement Wednesday, ABC acknowledged the delicate nature of the series in which families asked to pick a new neighbor are made to expose and overcome their biases.

''Welcome to the Neighborhood'' demonstrates what happens when people are forced to ''confront preconceived notions of what makes a good neighbor,'' the network said.

''However, the fact that true change only happens over time made the episodic nature of this series challenging, and given the sensitivity of the subject matter in early episodes we have decided not to air the series at this time.''

The six-episode show, which was to debut July 10, follows three families in Austin, Texas, who are given the chance to choose a new neighbor for a house on their street.

Each family initially wants someone similar to them -- white and conservative.

Instead, they must choose from families that are black, Hispanic and Asian; two gay white men who've adopted a black child; a couple covered in tattoos and piercings; a couple who met at the woman's initiation as a witch; and a poor white family.

In the early episodes, one man makes a crack about the number of children piling out of the Hispanic family's car and displays of affection between the gay men provoke disgust.

The series' producers had said it was intended to promote a healthy and open debate about prejudice and people's fear of differences.

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, after viewing the series, expressed strong concerns.

While it ultimately carries a valuable message about diversity and acceptance, those watching the first episodes could be left thinking discrimination is ''not that big a deal,'' GLAAD spokesman Damon Romine said Wednesday.

''Regardless of how things turn out at the end of the last show, it's dangerous to let intolerance and bigotry go unchallenged for weeks at a time,'' he said, adding that GLAAD hopes a revised version might air.

Before ABC announced its decision, the Family Research Council said it was worried evangelicals would be made to appear judgmental and foolish.

2. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    I wish I had a comment about this statement that I could present here.

3. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    [​IMG]

4. DaveyG

DaveyG New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    You know what, I'm cross posting this somewhere else.

5. pawchikapawpaw

pawchikapawpaw New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Houston
    having never really seen the series, allow me to make up opinions about it:

• Those Goddurn White Christian Republican Straight Texan People again! Racists! Bigots! Funny looking! With Pearls!
    • The Gays shure know how to work a bakesale! Fantabulous!
    • Oh my goodness, how many Tamales are they feeding those kids?!
    • They're not Black, they're just really, really, really dark skinned. So don't call them Black.

what. i mean since no one in this forum has actually seen the series, it's okay to slander the Icky White Texan Republican Christian Fundamentalist Straight Family. right? they had it coming anyways, after all, they are white and they did horrible things to other races/orientation/political preference. by association, of course, but meh. same thing.

6. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    let me guess. you have a judgemental and foolish comment to make about christians.

7. Jul 1, 2005 #7 of 54
    TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    Finally, a reality show that an Asian had a decent chance of winning . . . and it gets cancelled.

8. Jul 1, 2005 #8 of 54
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I don't really care what the content was about.

But one less reality show is always a good thing.

9. Jul 1, 2005 #9 of 54
    MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    This sums up my feelings about the so called reality shows, or maybe the industry calls 'em "unscripted" shows.

They are a blight on the television season, so good riddance to them all!

Now I can go back to complaining about the SCRIPTED crap! ;)

10. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Keep guessing. :rolleyes:

11. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy Purveyor of Idiocy

Nov 19, 2002
    Somewhere...
    Wouldn't watch it, won't miss it, don't care. Death to crappy reality shows.

12. Bradc314

Bradc314 Hi.

Dec 4, 2001
    I thought it was funny that it was GLAAD and others making noise about the show that caused ABC to cancel it, and then the very last line in this article slams the FRC.

Why is no one offering up the cries of "Censorship!", or "If you don't like it, change the channel!!" to GLAAD as they do when the FRC complains about programming?

I guess the pendulum only swings one way in certain arguments.

13. whoknows55

whoknows55 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2001
    I do find it funny that GLAAD's protest caused ABC to cancel the show. It must have been a big shock to them that people out there dislike the gays.

But come on, why turn down a chance to take a shot at the FRC. ;)

14. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Well they are free to make whatever show they want.

They are free to air it.

They are free not to air it

They are free to listen to specific groups and take that under advisement then make a decision

We are free to not watch it

We are free to watch it

We are free to hate who we want

We are free to not like how someone lives

We are free to approve of others' lives

We are free to ignore others

We are free to congregate with who we wish (unless you are a felon)

We are free to judge others (fairly or not)

They apparently have exercised their freedom not to stir up controversy and air the show. I think that is the only thing most everyone can agree on about this show.

I'm now going to freely go to lunch and not even worry about what others do or think of me.

(did i keep from locking the thread? :))

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You may freely go to lunch, but there's still no such thing as a free lunch.

16. RegBarc

RegBarc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2003
    It was just a bad idea to begin with. One less crappy show on TV.

17. DaveyG

DaveyG New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Hey, it's not as bad an idea as say...shaving one's head. ;)

18. Keith_R90210

Keith_R90210 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    FL
    it certainly can't be as bad as other trainwrecks that have been introduced this Summer; *cough* Dancing with the Stars *cough*.

In all seriousness this show looked sort of interesting and I probably would have given it a shot, I'm usually not much of one for reality Tv though.

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Gotta admit, the commercials for the series kinda made me cringe. No loss to see the airing scrubbed.

20. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I didn't see in the article how they voted people out. It's not a reality show unless someone leaves every week! For goodness sakes, even beauty/geek votes someone off. So I think the show must be more a documentary than a reality show.

Wonder how it worked out in real life(assuming the taping is complete)