Welcome screen, and then a quick reboot

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by spicolte, Mar 11, 2011.

1. spicolte

spicolte New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    San...

Advertisements

My GXCEBOT began rebooting over and over today. The "welcome screen" pops up for a few seconds, then a weird flash of light, and the "welcome screen" shows up again. This continues ad naseum. Unplugging and waiting does nothing. The hard drive is an upgraded hard drive, so I don't suspect it.

I'm assuming from what I have read, that this is a power supply problem. If so, where is the best place to purchase a new (or refurbished) one?

I apologize if this has been answered before and I missed it. I searched, but didn't find an exact match to my problem.

Thanks.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Did you have this problem before you upgraded the hard drive? A defective hard drive can cause this symptom, too.

3. spicolte

spicolte New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    San...
    I appreciate your response, though I truly don't know your name. (but understand why some folks here choose to have anonymity). You have helped me immensely in the past, and I appreciate it again now.

The drive was purchased from a member of this group: TIVO UPGRADE. It has worked well since it was installed. My only complaint was that when selecting a show to record, it took forever for the TIVO to complete the task. I had the same experience on a SAT-T60 which had an upgraded drive also from this vendor. I inquired of him as to the cause, but was given an explanation a bit over my head. In short, the hard drive had nothing to do with it, but something with the Cache Card. He advised me I could upgrade it, but didn't want to sink anymore $$ into the box, and since I truly didn't know what it was he was describing, I decided it was best to err on the side of caution and not purchase anything.

I purchased a working pull power supply, and it is due to arrive this week. If that doesn't fix the problem, I will post back here, as by then I will truly be scratching my head.

BTW: what is the life of an upgraded HD? I assume this drive should last much longer than my original drive. Is that a safe assumption?

4. spicolte

spicolte New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    San...
    Power supply arrived today, Tivo booted up without incident.

I also wanted to correct my last post. The company was DVR Upgrade.

And I truly didn't answer your previous question: No I did not have this problem prior to upgrading the hard drive. I did have it happen shortly *after* upgrading the hard drive, but it was merely poor timing on the part of my power supply as it died.

Tivo back up and working. (I hope it lasts!!)