Welcome Movie - first-time-power-up "Tarzan" video sequence

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by simonpoole, Jul 17, 2004.

1. simonpoole

simonpoole New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brighton
    Hello!

This is my first post as I have just bought a Tivo via ebay with a 120gb hard drive, and lifetime subscription.

I'm very impressed so far!

A few questions:

Can I replay the 'welcome Movie - first-time-power-up "Tarzan" video sequence'? I'd like to show off to my friends! I was told pressing the 'Tivo' icon then '0' on the remote would play it, it doesn't! the other short codes work OK though.

Where is the best place to purchase a new remote control? The one I have is a little worn.

I have set the recording quality to 'high quality' however, when I was watching a programme this evening, and decided to record it, it started recording in 'best quality' why?

That's it for now.

I look forward to making some new friends here, and finding lots out about my new (Tivo) friend!

Simon.

2. mike0151

mike0151 A Friend of Dot

Dec 13, 2001
    Liverpool,...
    Hello Simon and welcome to life with TiVo. It will never be the same again :)

1) Nowadays with 2.5.5 software, apart from the odd unexpected showing, it only plays after a reboot.

2) Call Customer Services (From memory they are about £24.99 unless your TiVo is still under warranty).

3) When you decide to record something you are watching, you have the choice of either recording the entire broadcast at best or from that moment on with any other options. This is essentially because live buffer is always in best quality.

HTH

Mike

3. poissony

poissony Member

Feb 20, 2002
    UK
    If you've modified your Tivo so that you have bash access then there is a hack that will put the Tivo Guy sequence (Tarzan) in your Now Playing screen as a program.

The hack comes from the other forum (and I didn't find it in these forums) so not sure if it's OK to post here but if you do a search over there you should find it.

4. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Once you have network access you can change the live buffer quality to any mode you like;)

As for remotes, there are loads available on eBay - and if you were happy to buy a TiVo there, then why not a remote?

(don't buy spare IR wands on eBay though as they are available FREE from TiVo CS!)

5. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    Because secondhand ones are likely to fail with double-presses, new ones are usually US models that have a couple of buttons missing, and they are often no cheaper than the cost of a new UK one from Customer Services.

6. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I was talking about brand new UK remotes. £17.99 buy-it-now inc p&p.

There's also a guy who sells them for £12.99 inc p&p. I bought one and it is fine.

(And no, although I do sell drive upgrades and Cachecards on eBay;), I don't sell remotes, and I'm not in any way connected with either seller.)

In the interests of fairness, I should also point out that http://www.tivoland.com/ do them for less than TiVo CS too.

7. simonpoole

simonpoole New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brighton
    Who's the guy that sells them for £12.99 inc p&p? I can only find the £17.99 ones on ebay.

8. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    He pops up with one for sale from time to time. Keep your eyes peeled though as they go pretty fast :D

(Or you could try searching "completed items";))

9. simonpoole

simonpoole New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brighton
    Nothing on ebay for 'completed items'
    You think the £17.99 ones are OK?

10. Paul Stimpson

Paul Stimpson New Member

Aug 19, 2002
    Farnborough,...
    Hi,

Welcome to the family:)

Healeydave at TiVoland.com has new remotes for £23 including postage.

All the best,
    Paul.

11. simonpoole

simonpoole New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brighton
    Just purchased one on ebay for £17.99. Looks OK to me.

More questions: Is there a digital tuner available for Tivo, something that could be fitted within the box maybe?

When Tivo records a suggestion programme for me, and I don't want it, should I give it a thumb down, or just delete it?

Any more 'Easter eggs' for Tivo, other than the SHAGWELL one?

Here's a couple more things I found, I guess some of you will know this already, I wanted to program the Tivo remote control to operate my Philips TV, (pressing the Tivo + Standby keys together, then entering my 4 digit code which for my TV is 0049) but found pressing standby would power down my Tivo AND put my TV into standby as well! However, after calling the Tivo helpline (friendly people) I found out that pressing Tivo + mute, then entering the 4 digit code as before, it would just control the TV's volume and mute function, without putting my TV in standby! Very cool!

There are some short cuts for Tivo:

Pressing the Tivo button then:

1 for Season Pass Manager
    2 for To Do List
    3 for Search Using Wishlists
    4 for Search By Title
    5 for Browse By Channel
    6 for Browse By Time
    7 for Record Time/Channel
    8 for Tivo's Suggestions
    9 for Channel Highlights

I'm having loads of fun with my Tivo, it's wonderful! I can't understand why they don't manufacture Tivo boxes in the UK anymore? Judging by the prices they go for on ebay, there is a huge demand for the service!

12. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    First, welcome to the forum, which has a reputation for being helpful to newbies. You'll only get the occasional RTFM, and 'Why didn't you use the search engine'. :)

There is no digital tuner for internal use, but you can use most (if not all) external cable, sky, or freeview digital set-top boxes.

Generally, you should probably give suggestions you don't like a single thumbs-down. However, don't do that if you don't mind watching programs of the same genre. i.e. Don't thumb down one particular soap, if you don't mind it recording other soaps. The general advice is to keep your thumbs within the limits of two-up to one-down, unless you really understand the effects of totally killing a genre.

The volume control and key shortcuts are all included in either the original manual, or in the version 2.5.5 manual update, both of which are available electronically from the TiVo UK website.

13. xxxx

xxxx New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Over the...
    Just wondering why anyone would need to power down the Tivo?

I leave mine on all the time and with the scart connections correctly made (and with a decent TV) I can still view DVDs, tapes, local RF channels etc. etc. without any extra keypresses.

14. simonpoole

simonpoole New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brighton
    Does Tivo not consume less power when it's in standby?
    Also, is there a very simple guide to 'soft padding' I'd like that feature, but looks hard to install?

15. Fred1

Fred1 New Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Pangbourne
    I have my tivo running off the ups that runs the PC. This has a load indication that shows no change at all if the Tivo is in standby or on. So if there is a power difference its tiny.

16. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    The only real effect that placing a TiVo in standby has, is that it will start to record suggestions a little more readily, since it knows that nobody is watching it. Since it is always recording the live buffer, it has no real effect on power consumption. I tested it once and it caused no significant power reduction.

17. alphabeta

alphabeta Lurker

Apr 10, 2002
    Maidenhead, UK
    Putting the Tivo in standby does also stop it sending the TV direct to the SCART input when you power the TV on.

18. Mike B

Mike B Senior Munkee

Sep 16, 2003
    Reading,...
    Probably best not to post it here....

Mike

19. simonpoole

simonpoole New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Brighton
    Thanks.

20. simonpoole