Welcome Home Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Slope, May 6, 2011.

1. Slope

Slope New Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Charlotte,...
    A long time ago...in a marriage that came and went many years ago...I had a Tivo series 2. My buddy convinced me to sell my Tivo and get two Replay 5040's (last ones with Automatic Commercial Advance). I enjoyed their service for many years, but always missed my Tivo. Nothing matches how you set the Season Pass priorities...or the conflict resolution, or...

My hard drive recently died in one of my Replay5040's. So, I went to ebay and purchased two Tivo Premiere's. I am SO HAPPY to be back!!! Nothing replaces this forum, the people on it, or Tivo's reliability as ease of hard drive upgrades. I am so thrill to be "home".

I was surprised that Tivo hasn't addressed a couple of things over the years:
    * If I have more than two, work together to resolve scheduling issues
    * MRV should NOT be copied...it should be streamed.
    * Why only a 30 minute buffer? Let me pause for as long as I have free space (delete deleted items if needed, delete suggestions if needed). At least let me provide a number how long I want the buffer (30-180 minutes) on both channels and reserve that space on the drive so no suggestions or anything record over that space.

I couldn't care less about the HD menus. The SD menus are what I fell in love with Tivo years ago. I LOVE being able to toggle the 30 second skip in the menu versus remote command sequences. Nice job Tivo. A couple more things to address and I'll never ever leave again....I promise!

2. hhickman

hhickman New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Welcome back to the family. :)

One can only hope that those things are addressed.

3. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Slope, I like you had wandered, in our case a slowly dieing DirecTiVo with no TiVo replacement. We've returned with a Premiere with Lifetime and OTA. So far it has been great to be back. Yes I've noticed a few quirks, but none are a deal breaker, and like you I'm using the old familiar SDUI.

PS what did you do with the Replay boxes? They do seem to have value per ebay.

4. Slope

Slope New Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Charlotte,...
    I put the old stock drive back in the unit that died and put them both in each of my girlfriends' kids' rooms. So, they are still in use (although capacity is much smaller) while the drives last. After that, figured I'd ebay them to someone for parts (the lifetime sub board).

I miss the automatic commercial advance, but I knew that was going to happen. Would be nice if Tivo was smart enough to stop the 30 second skip at say 10 seconds if it knows I'm going to blow past the start of the show (like the Replay's did). At the same time, Tivo is still in business and Replay isn't.