Weird TiVo Noise...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Chargers#1, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Chargers#1

Chargers#1 New Member

Dec 22, 2002
    :confused: It has been a couple of weeks since I started to hear a strange noise (a screech) from my Tivo in the early morning. It almost sound like someone is closing a rusty door. The noise only lasts a couple of seconds but will come back every so often (not at specific intervals). I have never heard it during the day, the evening or the early night. It seems to appear after midnight and is gone by seven in the morning.

Any input of the possible cause and remedy to this problem would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I have a Tivo 2.

Thank you.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    If it were mine I would open it up and leave it open so that when the noise first appears I could more easily isolate the sound. Two most likely culprits are the fan and hard drive since they are the only moving parts.

3. msu-dawg

msu-dawg New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    What model is it? Mine just started doing the same thing but in addition to the odd squealing noise it has also begun spontaneously crashing and rebooting. It's barley over 2 weeks old and is a 300 hr Series 2 by Humax bought straight from Tivo. I'm about to call to see about getting a replacement but am wondering if this is a systemic problem to the 300 hr units and/or any that are using the particular HD that is in this unit.

4. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Could be either the fan or the hard drive....but I would lean more toward the fan. If the fan isn't working properly...this could lead to your unit overheating and cause it to reboot, crash, etc....but that could also be caused by a faulty hard drive. One way to test is to take something and gently stick it into the fan...but not too far...just enough to stop the fan from moving...if the noise immediately stops....then you know it is the fan....if not...then it is the hard drive. msu-dawg, one thing you can do is go into system information and see what the temperature is on your box....anything above 50C would indicate that you have a cooling problem...either the fan...or an issue with where you have your TiVo installed.

5. msu-dawg

msu-dawg New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestion but I already tried that (check the temp that is). I should have mentioned that I looked at that. It has always been normal (37-38 C) when I've looked. Of course, I've never looked at it RIGHT BEFORE IT CRASHES, but when it finally reboots I've checked it immediately both times and found no overheating indication. I've also physically checked to verify that the fan is running and it always is.

I decided to wait for it to mess up one more time before calling customer support.