1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird TiVo lock-up

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Rob Helmerichs, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This has happened twice to me recently. I was in the OnePass Manager, I deleted a show...and the interface froze. If I hit buttons on the remote the amber light on the TiVo would flash, indicating the signal was received, but nothing happened.

The first time, after a few minutes, I just rebooted (unplugged, plugged back in) the TiVo and everything went back to normal. This time, I experimented a little more. First, I waited longer (about ten minutes), but the interface was still frozen. Then, I opened the TiVo app on my phone, and successfully logged in (which surprised me a little). I went to the 1P Manager, and deleted the show. When I looked up, I was very surprised to see that the show had disappeared from the 1P list on the Tivo! But it was still frozen...i.e., pressing buttons on the remote did nothing but trigger the amber light. If I had anything scheduled to record soon, I would have just waited to see if it would record properly, but it was several hours until the next scheduled recording. So at last I rebooted and everything went back to normal.

Twice is still just coincidence; it doesn't become enemy action until the third time. But this seems really strange to me. Has anybody else experienced this?

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I had a lockup a couple of weeks ago. I think I just waited until the box rebooted itself.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Try this next time:
    The fix for a lockup in TiVo Central is to reboot the HDUI.
    To do that the remote sequence is:
    Thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play.

It has worked for me twice in the last few months. I think I'm making the TiVo work too hard, transferring files, messing with menus, using it.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Maybe they're trying to discourage us from using it? :D

5. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I just locked up my Roamio and that worked ! Thanks,

JoeKustra likes this.
  6. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i've only recently experienced one spontaneous reboot of my hdui, and no hdui lock-ups or tivo reboots (fingers crossed!).

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Are you saying the box will accept those button pushes, but not others? Does it only work when you are already in TiVo central?

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    When I experience the lock-ups, the box accepts the button pushes but doesn't act on them. (Up to a point...the first time, I kept trying and eventually the amber light stopped flashing; I'm guessing at that point the command buffer was full.) Apparently, this sequence of commands will convince it to do something (trigger an interface reboot), even if it won't do simpler things like go up or down or play, etc. Not sure how that works, but according to people who have tried it, it does!

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks, can’t wait for a lockup to try it! :)

10. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I've been able to clear lockups from the TiVo app by using the app's remote to get back to TiVo Central, after which the normal remote regains control. YMMV

UCLABB likes this.
  11. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Live, wait a sec, Tivo to get to Tivo Central.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    As for filling up the command buffer, I have found that hitting random buttons will cause a restart eventually. I have learned to be patient. Also, I have a lot of stuff in a small location. Interference is a problem.

NorthAlabama likes this.