Weird setup not working!

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Mike Fischer, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Sep 1, 2020 #1 of 10
    Mike Fischer

Mike Fischer New Member

Sep 1, 2020

Advertisements

Hey everyone-
    So, I work for an internet and tv provider and even consulting with techs and higher ups, we can't figure out how my service isn't working. I'll break it down:
    Our headend tower is on one end of town. 100+ft up the tower, I have a LigoWave antenna that is hooked to ethernet cable. It runs into the headend and hooks to my modem which is hooked to my Tivo DVR (MG2). Everything at the headend works fine.
    I live 4 miles away from the tower just in the country. I have my antenna at my house 40ft up and am receiving signal. I have my ethernet cable running into my house which is going directly to my router which I have converted over to an access point. I have a Tivo mini that is connected to my access point router. I can run the internet connection test and Tivo connect and it succeeds. However, it says that it cannot locate my dvr on the network. I check the settings and it's listed as my dvr, but it can't connect to it. And another weird thing is if I were to run my ethernet cable coming from my antenna directly to my Tivo mini, it says there is no internet. By all rights, only running the Tivo on ethernet should be fine since mini's do not need a MoCa connection. What could be the issue that won't allow me to have my dvr connect? Do I need to change the IP address on my router to match that of my dvr?

2. Sep 1, 2020 #2 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You’d need to describe the IP network setup in more details. Do you have a single IP subnet in which both the DVR and Mini reside? If yes, then you’d need to look into what layer 2 traffic may not be propagating across the antenna connection.

3. Sep 1, 2020 #3 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TiVo connectivity aside, what kind of bandwidth and response are you seeing across the wireless connection?

4. Sep 1, 2020 #4 of 10
    Mike Fischer

Mike Fischer New Member

Sep 1, 2020
    Through my ptp connection, I'm getting, on average, 90-95 mbps down and 20-30 mbps up. I do know that I have different IP addresses assigned to my modem/router, dvr and mini's. But that should all be fine as they are assigned IP addresses coming from my modem. I don't know enough of how to change them or what they would need to be as far as communicating back and forth through my antenna connection. I know that, essentially, the way I have it hooked up should work. But it's whether or not I need to change any settings or IP addresses that I'm lost in.

5. Sep 1, 2020 #5 of 10
    GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN

Advertisements

Also, both boxes need to be on the same TiVo account, just in case they aren't.

6. Sep 1, 2020 #6 of 10
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    A picture might help, I think I see what you're doing, but that doesn't mean my mental picture is correct.

At the very least, in the configuration where both units *can* get to the internet, list each units IP Address, Netmask, and Default Gateway, as read off the Tivo itself... (ie, what it's using, which may be different from what you're intending it to use)

7. Sep 3, 2020 #7 of 10
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I am confused regarding your setup also. What is that "modem" which is connected to your "wireless access point router"? Is there more than one Ethernet port on the "modem"? Is that Ethernet from the modem connected to the WAN port on your router?
    Note: Since 98% of the routers available also have wireless builtin, try just using "router"....also, if your "modem" has more than one Ethernet port, it is likely a "gateway" i.e., combo modem and router combined, is it possible that is what you have?

8. Sep 3, 2020 #8 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The Arris SB8200 has two CAT-5 connectors but does not contain a router. It's DOCSIS 3.1.

9. Sep 3, 2020 #9 of 10
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes, and if the OP has one of those, it would be helpful information....

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think there isn't any internet connectivity between your modem and your access point. A modem will only allocate one IP address which your DVR is using. I think you need to change your access point back to a router, connect the router to the cable modem, connect the DVR to the router and connect the mini to the router.