Weird problem with remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by savagetivo, Jan 23, 2006.

1. savagetivo

savagetivo New Member

Jan 23, 2006

Advertisements

This is for a 40hr. Tivo Series 2, OS 7.2x, just over 3 months old. Saturday night, the remote started acting weird. If I go to the Now Playing menu, I see my list of programs. When I press the down arrow, the highlight moves down one line (like it should), then a fraction of a second later, it moves line-by-line down the list until it hits the bottom. The same happens if I then press the up arrow. This also happens if I am looking at the detailed menu for a specific program -- if I press down, it goes from Play down to Keep until ..., then moves through the other options until it bottoms out at Don't do anything.

The LED on the Tivo that indicates the unit is receiving signal from the remote stays lit for several seconds, but the LED on the remote does not. If I press the down arrow, then press another (right, for example) arrow as soon as it makes the first skip, it stops on that line. I then have to press the right arrow again to make it move to the right.

I have tried new batteries, to no avail. I have also used the Restart the TiVo DVR option on the Restart menu. I have unplugged the unit for 20 minutes, plugged it back in. Still the same.

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Check the room for other remotes, with stuck key, or in cushion.

3. savagetivo

savagetivo New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Edmund,

Thanks. I was on the phone with TiVo support for an hour, the first-level guy was ready to exchange the unit but didn't have the authority. The second-level guy had me remove all remotes from the area and the problem was solved. Brought them back one-by-one, the problem never came back, so one of them must have had a button stuck. That might explain the sluggish response I was getting from the DVD remote the other night, too.