Weird pixelation only on The Closer every week

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Rob Helmerichs, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Every week on The Closer (TNT-HD)--and ONLY on The Closer--whenever there's a black or mostly black screen (during the opening credits; going in or out of commercials; not during very dark scenes) there is massive pixelation. This is the only show I watch on TNT, but I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. And when it's a regular picture there's no problem at all.

Has anybody else noticed this? Does anybody have an explanation?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Do you have any other HD decoder (TV with built in tuner, cable box) that you can compare with? It should be the same on any of them.. if it is, then that shows that it's the signal's fault and not TIvo.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, unfortunately, the only way I can get HD cable is through the TiVo.

4. segaily

segaily Member

Aug 2, 2003
    NH
    I am not sure I would call it massive but I have the same basic issue with the closer. I have always thought it was very odd It is the only thing I normally watch on TNT-HD as well. Were it happens it does not bother me any, but it sure is odd.

I have no idea what could be causing this and no way to check if it happens on anything other then a TiVo.

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I have the exact same experience, but I have always assumed this is just fancy (but annoying) way they are just showing the credits. Fancy transition screens, intentionally displayed in this manner.

I've been waiting for someone to make this post, blaming it on cablecards.:)

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That can't be it, because the unions would scream (legitimately) if they were deliberately obscuring the credits. Plus, it's just plain ugly, and it didn't happen before this season.

But it really doesn't make sense to me that it happens only in The Closer, and only when they have a black screen (with or without text). Does anybody watch that Holly Hunter show that's on right after? Does it happen there as well? I was tempted to record it, but I already have two shows at 9:00.

Hmmm. I think I'll undelete last ngiht's, record the next rerun this weekend, and compare them to see if the glitches are the same...

7. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I've noticed that, too; and it's essentially identical on both my Series 3's.

8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Yep, I get it on both my S3's with The Closer and Saving Grace. If you're not watching both then you're missing some great TV. It only occurs during the opening credits when the screen goes to black in between scenes to display the credits. FWIW, I'm on FIOS so it sounds like the problem is originating at the source. I seem to recall that I got the same thing with an episode of Burn Notice on USA a couple of weeks ago but I don't think it's been a recurring issue. It happens every week with the two TNT HD programs on Monday night. Fortunately, it doesn;t happen much, if at all, during the rest of the program.

9. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    No pixellation here (via TWC NYC) for THE CLOSER's credits. I only get pixellation on the HD broadcast channels, and only during prime time.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Is that the HD channel?

(I'm on Comcast, FWIW.)

11. rckstrang

rckstrang New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    A shack in...
    I thought I understood what you were talking about so I pulled one out of the trash and took a look at the opening and closing.

I guess I was misunderstanding, you are seeing pixelation when it goes to this black area and the credits pop up. I didn't see any and at the closing it looked fine.

I have TW and I'm in the Memphis area.

12. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    It used to be very bad, via DirecTV TNT-HD, mainly during dark scenes, or like you said, credits.
    It has gotten better, don't know if MPEG4 had anything to do with it.

Last night's show had some odd red pixelization though.
    I saw it 2-3 times, and it was around the center screen area.
    Just a quick splash, only a second or two, couple times during the hour.
    Not the blocky pixels like during the dark scenes, much smaller dpi pixels.

I saw the same thing during Saving Grace as well.

phox

13. segaily

segaily Member

Aug 2, 2003
    NH
    I just watched this weeks. I did not see the issue in this weeks show. I have definitely noticed it in past weeks however. I am on Metrocast cable.

I did notice a red splash that could be what Phox_mulder is talking about, but I only noticed it once.

14. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Same problem here. I've always assumed its Comcast's usual bitstarving the HD channels.

15. rckstrang

rckstrang New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    A shack in...
    Since the OP is Comcast too that's got to be what it is. TW people seem to say no problem.

I wonder if anyone with satellite sees it?

16. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm on FIOS and have the problem as I described previously. The FIOS signal tends to be quite hot so I'm guessing the pixelisation is being caused by too strong a signal. Perhaps TNT-HD is slightly stronger than other stations, resulting in the artifacts on just that channel.