Weird conflict

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Rob Helmerichs, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    OK, this is new.

I have a SP for The Borgias (I know, I know. I can't help myself). It shows on Sunday nights.

On Wednesday, I have the following:

9:00-10:00: Show A
    9:00-10:00: Show B
    9:00-10:01: Show C
    10:00-10:35: Show D
    10:00-10:35: Show E

The weird thing is, a later showing of The Borgias from 9:30-10:30 is showing up as a conflict. Weird for two reasons: First, there is always an open tuner from 9:30 to 10:30; and second, because that episode is already scheduled to record the prior Sunday (and yes, TiVo knows it's the same episode).

If I bump Borgias to #1 in the SP list, then the conflict goes away...the regular shows all record, and there's no Borgias. If I move it back to its regular position (after Shows A-E), then the conflict comes back.

I guess no harm, no foul, but WTF?!? I'll be curious to see what happens the following Wednesday (which should be in today's Guide Data)...I don't know what shows are scheduled to be on that night.

Am I missing something?

2. davidj778

davidj778 New Member

May 2, 2006
    I hear you on the conflicts - while I don't know enough to figure out your issue, I can say that it seems like the Tivo units (most of them so far) have trouble handling tight time issues.

My case: I have a two-tuner Tivo Premiere, and have several series of shows recording. Either my Tivo's time is off from the cable company (Frontier Seattle), or my cable company is deciding to start/end shows a minute or two off. The Tivo doesn't seem to be able to handle or see this time difference, so I pad the time to try to compensate. One minute before or after, whatever I need to do not to miss the very beginning or end of the show.

What happens now is that there is often an overlap, especially when you have a series playing multiple episodes back to back. If I have them padded on either end, the Tivo isn't smart enough to say, "The next show to record is on the same channel, so I can ignore the padding and continue recording." Instead, it uses the other tuner, and for a few minutes both tuners recording the same thing.

My problem is that this kills watching live TV for a few minutes, and being at the end/start of a show (top of the half / full hour) I have missed things when it automatically switches channels. I have been forced to quickly change first to the previous show recording, wait until the show is over, then switch back to the live TV that I was watching. I usually miss something, even in that short time.

Shouldn't the Tivo be smart enough to see this and adjust automatically? Moreover, shouldn't the Tivo be synced properly to the cable company? BTW, I don't need a 4-tuner Tivo, if that is what anyone is thinking. Two is plenty, and worse case if I need a third, I still have my Tivo HD hooked up via a HD antenna (moved my cablecard to the Premiere when I upgraded, but my HD has my lifetime subscription so I have to keep it.)

If anyone has run into this and found a solution, I'm all ears. I'll continue to play with the start/end times to see if I can figure it out.

I also wish the cable company (or the networks) would start following the time that is reported to the scheduler (or report the correct times.) TV shows now are running to the very end, then starting the next show immediately, which makes DVR'ing that much more difficult. I have found that my local news commonly starts a few minutes early (by their own on-screen clocks.) yet it is on the exact hour/half hour in the Guide. I shouldn't have to pad the time on SP's automatically to make sure I get the entire program.

There, I put in my two cents. I know I may be looking for closer to perfection than is possible, but I still think there needs to be more communication between Tivo and the scheduler / networks to get things a bit more accurate, and Tivo should see if it doesn't need to change the channel and ignore padding. This better communication would also fix the several "Local Origination" channel labels that are not changeable. These are networks that do have a name, and should show that.

David

3. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That data has now been processed, and although Show B isn't on that night, the "conflict" remains, even though there is still always at least one unused tuner, and the same episode is already being recorder the previous Sunday.

4. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I get this sometimes for repeated cable shows on certain chennels. The To-Do shows that something won't record because of a conflict even though the slot is open. The real reason it won't record is that it has already recorded an earlier airing.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The *networks* are the ones that are doing this, overlapping their official time slots.

Yes, you need a 4 tuner Tivo to overcome this limitation, because unfortunately Tivos can't just duplicate the overlap onto multiple recordings.. (Though I would pay a one time fee for this ability, EVEN with 4 tuners.)

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yup, I see this too for a couple of season passes. As an example, O'Reilly Factor lists a conflict for 8pm slot even though the same show records earlier at 5pm slot and the 8pm slot doesn't show up as to be recorded at any point in ToDo list. (There is no Western version of FNCHD so prime time starts at 5pm over here on that channel).

7. LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    I've run across this too. It only seems to happen on MSNBC, Starz and Showtime. Always a "conflict" for an episode that's already recorded.

8. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    I noticed this on a SP that I set up for Defiance (on SyFy) a couple of days before the season started.

The "conflicting" episode was a repeat of the pilot (and the pilot was scheduled to record with no conflicts, as was episode 2).

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Are you sure about that? In my case, the repeat episodes of the pilot do conflict with other recordings (remember, it is 2 hours long). They do show up in the To Do List as conflicting with other recordings. However, the second showing of episode 2 does not conflict and does not appear in the To Do List.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think what he's saying is that the original airings of both episodes are scheduled to record, and a later airing of the pilot shows up as a "conflict" even though it's already being recorded earlier.

Which is exactly the behavior I saw with Borgias.

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I understand that. I am saying that the scheduler is checking for conflicts before it checks for previously scheduled showings and if a conflict is found, stops checking. What I was asking is if he is sure that there are indeed no conflicts.

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I find it odd that, when I schedule a new SP (putting it at the bottom of the SP priority list), it shows conflicts with higher priority SPs when there are clearly later showings of the program (of the new SP). Actually, it's more than odd, it's a real PITA because then I have to juggle, or delete the new SP, etc....

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Isn't that what it's supposed to do? It's a useful feature, to show you where conflicts are showing up so you can consider your SP ordering appropriately.

My problem is when a conflict for a later showing appears (although the earlier showing is already being recorded, and there's no actual conflict anyway). That's just useless clutter.

14. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    I should have checked last night (when episode 1 was recording) but didn't. Are you saying that there are two different shows named "Pilot" (S1E1), each an hour long and broadcast a week apart, and so I will miss the second hour?

TiVo was showing a conflict for a future showing of S1E1, but since S1E1 was already scheduled to record (on the first broadcast), I'm not sure why TiVo thinks I care that a show that I don't need to record conflicts with another show (unless the answer to my paragraph above is "yes").

Or is it saying "if things change such that I cannot record any of the multiple re-broadcasts of S1E1 *except* this one particular broadcast, then and only then will there be a problem"?)

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, that's exactly the behavior I'm seeing with The Borgias (and it is persisting into the second week as well), and have never seen with another show.

I guess it's just a weird glitch that shows up from time to time for whatever reason. The good news is, it never seems to cause actual recording problems...either the show with the fake "conflict" is lower priority and thus does not record, or there is no fake "conflict."

Nice to know it's not just me!

16. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    No, I am saying that the "Pilot" episode was 2-hours long and that the scheduler checks for conflicts before it checks for previously scheduled recordings of the same episode. Once it decides that the showing will not be recorded, why should it bother to check further?

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Tivo is telling you that, if you schedule the new SP, as defaulted to the bottom of the list, THERE WILL BE CONFLICTS. That is useful info to know at SP creation time, and it even then lets you put it at the top right then and there if you want.

Tivo doesn't do any kind of a "best fit" (i.e. record as much as possible) thing, it relies on you ordering the SPsÂ… and telling the user that there will be conflicts for a newly created SP seems to me to be the right thing to do.

I certainly WOULDN'T want it to default the new SP to the TOP of the list, that would be horrible.

18. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Why? If there are later showings that don't conflict, they will be recorded. And you are so informed when you create the SP.

You seem to be complaining that the processor used by the TiVo lacks an ROM instruction. Just be thankful that it is also missing an XO instruction.:D

19. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Conflicts, To Do List and SP sometimes get confused. You will normally see any show labeled "new" and repeated before midnight will show "new" on the repeat. I saw the error with Defiance also, and simply did not make the SP until after the two hour pilot. That fixed the error. Since I have a SP for the Daily Show and Leno, which were repeats on 4/15 and are set to "new only", I recorded the second "new" Defiance from 11pm to 1am without a SP. No errors. Only the SP caused the error. Go figure.

20. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    I checked my Defiance SP last night (the pilot recorded on Monday). The conflict is no longer being flagged, as predicted by several here.