Weird Buffer(?) Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by swingarm, Dec 16, 2019.

1. swingarm

swingarm New Member

Sep 9, 2019
    I have a Tivo Series 5(Roamio) with OS version 21.9.6v7-848-6-848.

I have a weird problem that is just frustrating me. I like to switch between channels alot and it usually works fine, when I switch between channels it usually is at the point of live tv(at the end of the progress bar/buffer) but for some reason at some point in time when I switch back to a channel it doesn't go back to the point of live tv. It starts going back to the point where I left the channel instead of at the point of live tv. I made some ASCII art to more visualize my problem:

----------|-----****|**********|****#----- <-Progress Ba
    Normal-at live tv-------------------------^

----------|------****|*****#****|*****----- <-Progress Bar
    Abnormal-where I left off--^

Now I don't know if this is normal but I don't like it, the only way I've found to get it back to normal is to restart the Tivo box which I do once a day. I also looked for a solution in the settings but so far I haven't found any. Also maybe someone can explain why it's doing this.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    A+ on the Art Work!

D- on the Forum Searching...

Some people call that a bug. I call it a Feature.

Rebooting the TiVo is known to cure it at least temporarily.

-KP

3. swingarm

swingarm New Member

Sep 9, 2019
    I did do a search on "Buffer" but I guess I didn't go back far enough. Couldn't think of any other words to search with.

Is there a way to toggle this feature on/off?

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Rollback to TE3, the live tuner buffer issue was introduced on TE4. You'll gain other benefits as well such as not seeing Tivo's ads or Tivo+ junk in the guide.

5. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    I both love and hate this feature / bug. I wish TiVo would make it an option. I have found it seems to pause live tv when the show is being recorded.

6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I was bouncing around between the football games and the Dr Pol marathon and I simply don't know if I'm gonna find myself where I left off or at the beginning not end of the buffer. If I hit pause before I leave a tuner, I can be sure I will go back to a full buffer it close to it. Whether you are recording has an effect as well.