Weird Audio problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by danator, Sep 12, 2007.

1. danator

danator New Member

Sep 18, 2006

Advertisements

Original non-mod S3 Audio out via Fiber optic

It happened just couple days ago after i switched back from dvd player, hdmi only used for video for my pre-pro via a hdmi-switcher. I lost the audio completely, my pre-pro is reporting no audio signal. Reboot s3 fixed it.

Then come yesterday, same thing happened on recorded shows only (all of them ). The audio was on for like 1-2 seconds then lost audio signal(indicated by pre-pro), the different is the Live channels all have audio. The on-off audio sequence can be repeated on every record show when i play it. Again, reboot s3 fixed it.

I tried reboot everything prior to s3 and it all point to s3. :mad:

2. joysbox

joysbox Happy Happy Joy Joy

Jun 27, 2003
    Leesburg, VA
    hmmmm, I had the same problem 3 times so far. Only fix is to reboot. Same issue as you. Using HDMI, but I wasn't looking at any other imput source.

3. danator

danator New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Thanks man, at least i know i'm not alone.

Both recorded shows or live as well??

4. joysbox

Jun 27, 2003
    Leesburg, VA
    yeah both.

thought it was me for a minute. I bought my through the TC store and I emailed them about it. they suggested that since it is still under warranty, I should call Tivo and get the return part started.
    j

5. kmalone576

kmalone576 New Member

Jul 1, 2007

Advertisements

This has happened twice in the last two weeks -- I've had no audio on both live television and recorded programs... Funny thing is the tivo system sound effects are still are there. If I switch the television to the input that comes directly from the verizon fios STB there is no problem. Rebooting the Tivo makes the problem go away. As far as I can tell programs recorded during the "no sound" have sound once rebooted. Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Is it just some sort of software problem or a sign of impending hard drive failure?

6. danator

danator New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    I put Tivo to stand by this time and no audio problem found yesterday. I'll see if i can repeat it tonight with Tivo On. I hope i don't have to swap the part, unit or anything, Cable Card reinstallation would be another major nightmare.

7. joysbox

Jun 27, 2003
    Leesburg, VA
    called tivo and waited the fun 30 min or so. Seems that they feel it may be the HDMI cable.

Since it comes back with the reboot, I am not too worried. I also have cable cards with Verizion FIOS.....

I will keep looking to see what happens, but I think the trade out the HDMI cable will be the first step for me
    j

8. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Yep... Put me in the "Me, Too" pile... :mad:

Twice now, in about a 3 day span.

S3 hooked to my TV using ONLY the HDMI connection, TiVo sound effects are fine, but no audio on ANY type of program, including LIVE, RECORDED, or SHOWCASE media files.

I'm not sure if it's related, but during this time, I was unable to go into Podcaster, Live365, or my own computer (it would hang until it timed out.)

Rebooting fixed the audio, but I didn't check the others after the reboot....

My take: If a reboot fixes the audio, it's NOT likely to b a hardware problem.... It's most likely a software glitch affecting the audio codecs...

9. CTLesq

CTLesq Active Member

Jan 19, 2003
    SF Bay
    Count me in. Two times in three or four weeks.

Reboot was the only solution.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've had this happen a few times but never needed a reboot. I just needed to change HDMI inputs or turn the Tv off then back on for the audio to come back.

11. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm on my 4th time rebooting to get the audio back.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why this is happening.
    The first time was when I was watching a recording and 80% of the way through the audio died. I went to Live TV and no sound - only TiVo sounds.

Tonight it was after switching back from watching a DVD.

4 times in one week... was there a recent 'update' released that may be causing this?

12. Gleklen

Gleklen New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I had the same problem this week with component video out, so I don't think it is HDMI-specific. I lost sound on both the RCA-out and dolby digital optical out. Rebooting fixed it.

13. busyman

busyman Eternal lurker

Sep 15, 2007
    Northern...
    I am also having this problem - optical output stopped working, and now even the HDMI output to my TV stopped until i reboot it almost everyday.

Has there been a recent SW update to casue this?

On hold with Customer Service now, will update if they are of any help...

14. CTLesq

CTLesq Active Member

Jan 19, 2003
    SF Bay
    Update, it happened yesterday and again this morning as I was watching live TV. Interestingly, as some of you have said my TiVo noises (ie normal popping noise when on TiVo's main screen) continues to function but nothing which was recorded has sound.

Again in my situation I had to reboot both times.

I am interested in anyone's opinions on this.

15. Guiness-Draft

Guiness-Draft New Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Herndon, VA
    I've also just started experiencing this issue as well. No HDMI, just optical to the hifi receiver. Reboot seems to clear it up, all recordings made during the no-audio time seem fine after reboot.

Just happened again as I was typing this while watching live TV.

-Bill

16. Guiness-Draft

Guiness-Draft New Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Herndon, VA
    Forgot to mention, I am also running on two FIOS Cablecards. I've seen a few other people mention FIOS, I wonder if this could be a FIOS issue... is FIOS still officially unsupported by Tivo?

-Bill

17. Gleklen

Gleklen New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I am on FIOS too.

18. TivoInNY

TivoInNY Tivo Addict

Dec 19, 2002
    New York
  19. weaverdrew

weaverdrew New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Same problem here. Started happening 3-4 weeks ago and the frequency of required reboots is increasing. I suspect a glitch in a software update. My wife had to reboot twice today. Yikes.

I'm on FIOS and am just using component hookups. (Yes, I have an S3 connected to a non-HD TV. That's how bad the Motoroloa UI is, even with the recent improvements. :)