Weight of new 5 lnb dish

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rsblaski, Jan 11, 2006.

1. rsblaski

rsblaski New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Pahrump, NV

Advertisements

I am in the early stages of contracting for a new house. A standard feature provided by the builder is an included mast for a satellite dish. Does anyone know if the new 5 lnb dish needs anything more, ie, a heavier or thicker mast or additional braces, than is used by the current 3 lnb dish? My builder said he would check with D*, but I would think that someone here already has the answer. :D

2. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    I was told that the weight is 35lbs.

3. tarmack

tarmack New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    I just installed the new 5 LNB dish yesterday. Don't even think about using your current bracket or mounting pipe with an adapter....use the included mounting hardware that comes in the shipment.

Took me about 2 hours from unsealing the box until I had all 5 sats set up....but I am in the Orlando.Melbourne area and have not been activated by D yet for the local HD channels.

I used a sat meter borrowed from a friend....very essential as the old method of tuning by ear using a friend inside or by turning up the volume would be a hassle and probably double the install time.

The most important part of the install is to have your bracket and mounting pipe ABSOLUTELY plumb....otherwise you are gonna be....lets say...frustrated. :)

Why did I install early?

Just one of them early adopter kind of guys and since the H10 with rebate was no cost......it seemed reasonable. I also didn't want anything to do with a professional install.......those things in the past have always been a negative adventure.

Tarmack

4. tarmack

tarmack New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Forgot to add to previous.....I bought the H20 from Circuit City and the 5 LNB dish from Robert at Value Electronics....but I should have bought BOTH from Value Electronics....Circuit City was very slow with their shipment.

Tarmack

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

The installation videos on the Solidsignal website indicate that you need a solid support for the AT9 dish. It's not as easy to install as the Ph III, but not impossible.