Weekly Reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dave13077, Sep 14, 2009.

1. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009

Advertisements

I have 2 Tivo HD units. Both are less than a year old, both have Mcards provided by Time Warner and a tuning adapter.

It seems that both units will run great for about 2-3 weeks at a time. Much longer than that one or both seem to get a little unstable. I will lose a tuner, a channel will freeze during a recording ect. A reboot (pull the plug) will fix them and they will chug along for another few weeks.

I have started to just reboot (pull the plug) once a week on both units to keep them stable. I would love to just leave them alone but I can't trust them after a couple of weeks.

1) Is this normal??
    2) Will it do any long term damage to the units to reboot them every week?

Thanks

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    No and No.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Cetainly not normal. The only time my units get rebooted is if there is a software upgrade or I upgrade a hard drive(or an extemely long blackout that would exhaust my UPSs). Otherwise they run 24/7/365 with no problems.

4. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I use to reboot my HD about once a week due to freezing on menus screens. Since installing a new internal drive over a month ago, I have only rebooted once (this past weekend) and that was just to see if rebooting would bring up my PC on the NPL.

5. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009

Advertisements

What should I do? It seems strange that both of my units would do this.

6. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    First thing I'd advise you to do is plug them into a UPS unit.

By any chance, are you using the DVR Expander with them?

7. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I do not have a DVR Expander on either one. I am also not using a UPS unit either. The reason I haven't used a UPS is that if the box needs to be rebooted the wife just has to unplug the power strip and plug it back in. With the UPS she would have to pull both the Tivo and tuning adapter out of the stand and unplug both and them slid them back onto the stand. As much as I enjoy messing with the units she doesn't seem to find much joy in it :). I have just tried to keep everything simple.

8. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    She could just unplug the TiVo from the UPS.

9. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Both of the UPS units would have to sit behind or underneath the TV stands. The wall plug is next to each TV stand.

I may try a UPS on one unit and see if it makes it more stable. If the wife complains you are all are going to hear about it :D

10. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Maybe you could arrange it so the UPS power switch could be easy to get to and then she would only need to turn it off, wait a few second, and turn it back on.

11. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Of course, I don't really know if the UPS will solve your problem. I've always had mine on a UPS. It was the hard drive replacement that seemt to have helped me. Still, a UPS is a good idea for something that cost so much.

12. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Lets get off this UPS thing, it won't solve his problem.

Yes it is very strange that both Tivo's are having this issue. The cable cards could be the problem.

13. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Imagine if the Tivo was on the Clapper. :D

CLAP ON! <CLAP CLAP> Yaah! Tivo
    CLAP OFF! <CLAP CLAP> BOOOOO! Bad Tivo!

14. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    Can you clarify... are you rebooting the TiVo box because it lost connectivity to the Tuning Adapter? Do you have a blinking green light on the TA?

15. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009

Tuning Adapter seems to be fine. The light stays solid green all the time although I do lose SDV channels once in awhile.

I am starting to think that the combanation of cable cards and tuning adapter is a little too much for the Tivo and it needs to be rebooted once in awhile. I am with Time Warner in CNY. Any one else with Time Warner have issues? It seems that the folks wirh Verizon are having a little better luck.

16. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    I have no idea about why or what to do to fix the underlying problem but to reboot your tivo instead of unplugging your tivo you could use the restart function in the menu. The only time I resort to the plug is if the unit totally locks up.

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    A steady green TA light doesn't always guarantee the TA is functioning correctly. I had to reboot my TA once after an electrical storm came through, even though the light was steady. My TA is on surge protection but not on a UPS -- I suspect either a power line fluctuation, or even a cable equipment glitch, due to the storm.

A UPS for both TiVo and TA is good, I think.

18. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    Are you running any third party applications that may not be configured properly?