wear out the 30 second skip button?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by clovis8, Jan 18, 2006.

1. clovis8

clovis8 New Member

Nov 23, 2005

Advertisements

I have been using my Tivo for about one month and it seems like I use the 30 sec skip button ALOT. I am just curious. Anyone wear there out. It seems like it will go first on any remote, no?

2. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I have been watching NFL Football for years using the remote - that means 100+ skips a game. Still going strong.

3. LiveBlues

LiveBlues Master Blaster

Oct 30, 2001
    Clinton, UT
    The remote for my original TiVo is over 4 years old and the skip button has been used heavily over those 4+ years. It's still going strong and hasn't given any indication that it will fail any time soon.

4. keith021773

keith021773 New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Tennessee
    I use the 30 sec skip buttom very regularly and it's still the best buttom on the remote.. No problems what-so-ever.

5. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002

Advertisements

Odd how a button that used as intended would be among the least used button on the remote survives so well when turned into the most used.

6. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I don't think I've ever used it in 4+ years. I just use the FF button.

7. clovis8

clovis8 New Member

Nov 23, 2005
    you are missing out on the best feature. While watching a recorded show push:

select
    pause
    select
    30 select

It was change your life!

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    for some yes.

I tried it and did not like it so much. I kept hitting into the show too much as I am not poised with the remote ready at commercial breaks ;)
    I now do 2xFF and then 8 sec replay adn like the fact that I can "see" commercials in case there is something I want to check out

I like even more the fact that TiVo has provided us both the features we each want :)

9. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    It just skips 30 seconds at a time, right? And I take it you have to set up the macro above? Which key do you use/what key is it? I don't know if I'd want to switch at this point, as I've become quite adept at FFx2.

10. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    clovis8, the second button you press to activate 30 sec. skip is play, not pause.

jen, it's the "skip-to-tick" button. The one that looks like an arrow stuck in the wall.

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yes always 30 sec skip ahead
    it is the skip to end key ->|

12. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Is the shift button on your keyboard broke or are you just to lazy to capitalize the first letter of the first word in a sentence ?

13. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    It's the key that looks like this:

->|

We have the key programmed for the skip, but it seems that generally you have to examine the content between presses, with the result that the last press puts you some distance into the resumption of the programming. Even with the instant replay button, I find that it's more intuitive for me to FF 3X and skip the 30 sec skip.

Since most programming now shows a rating box in the upper left when programming resumes from commercials, it's easy to watch for it while FF3X-ing and then you end up right at or just before the start of programming when you hit play. Or at least I do.

ETA: This isn't a smeek. I'm just more careful about my capitalization ;)

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    so you have decided towards the end of the work day to just find posts to give a hard time to?

PS - it should be broken :rolleyes: