Weaknees Roamio/OTA fan kit... HIGHLY recommended

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by just4tivo, May 14, 2019.

1. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    One of my Roamio OTAs started making "the noise".

Read the posts on the forum regarding fan replacement and weighed the options.

Decided to spend the most and get the Weaknees fan kit.

It comes with the tools and their video on You Tube is almost end user proof.

Took all of 15 minutes and the problem is solved.

Well spent money and supported a company that supports TiVo owners.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    rdrrepair, Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  2. DFWHD

DFWHD New Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Agreed - I just did this on my two Roamios and also upgraded the drive to the 3TB WD Red. These fans are much quieter than what they originally came with.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Did they use more than one fan model in Roamios? I can't hear the fan (or hard drive or anything) in my Roamio even one foot away. It's a base model purchased reconditioned in 2015.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If by "they" you mean TiVo, then yes. There are three I can think of: older ones, that will eventually wear out. Then there was a special batch during a Black Friday sale in 2017. They had a short lifespan, usually about 6 weeks. The ones used now seem ok. I have replaced some of mine. I use Fan Van since they have 7 blades and include silicon mounts. I have never used the mounts and only use the top two screws with a new fan.

I replaced two fans just because I was changing the hard drive and was already inside.

Teeps likes this.
  5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Thanks for the tip Joe.

6. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I chose the Weaknees fan for these reasons...

1. Tools included

2. The Weaknees fan is ABSOLUTELY silent. I mean I had to look to see if the fan was spinning.
    There were remarks on Amazon regarding the Fan Van not being silent.

3. There was a remark on Amazon about the Fan Van wires running through one of the screw holes.

Is that why you only used two screws or were you streamlining the next fan replacement?

The MBT of my Roamio OTA with the Weaknees fan is 2 degrees cooler than my other one that is stock.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I chose Fan Van because the person took time to be here. It's not a perfect replacement, since it has seven blade, not five. And the connector is not a perfect fit. But It's silent enough. I chose to just use the top two screws because it was easier.

The cooling issue is different. I use external fans. My 3TB box with the lid raised and a 180mm USB fan blowing into the unit has about a 27C MBT. Room temp matters. I got 2C drop by using 1/2" feet. This is a simple way to lower the temp with no tools:
    Fan on Side.JPG
    :)

8. Jim1348

Jim1348 Active Member

Jan 3, 2015
    This brings back memories of when I was a Dish guy. I had the 722k and it got HOT and shut down. I Googled it and learned that it is/was a known problem. The peeps there just suggested a laptop-computer chill mat. Has anybody here tried one of those for the TiVo Roamio OTA?

9. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I'm happy not having to listen to the Roamio's fan, but I favor exact fitting replacements rather than kludges regardless of how nice the person selling the kludge is.

I did buy a second Weaknees fan to have on hand so my other Roamio OTA's fan will probably never fail.

10. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I have one under my Roamio OTA and one under my Bolt, both are quite happy with the temperature.
    Also removed the cable card door on both, but only recently.

steve_scifi likes this.
  11. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    No doubt weaknees makes some good stuff.
    Far as cost, they are proud of their products.
    But it's probably a better way to go for novice DIY folks.
    Point well taken.
    No doubt weaknees makes some good stuff.
    Far as cost, they are, proud of their products...
    But they are probably a better way to go for novice DIY folks.

12. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    There's nothing wrong with getting what you pay for and there's always a less expensive option.

Plus Weaknees took the time to make a detailed installation video... at no extra charge!

13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Care to share which model?

I recently moved my Roamio from the open air (sitting on top of a cabinet), to inside the cabinet. MBT is running 48 or so. Would like to cool it down some.

14. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I suggest ventilating the cabinet.

astrohip likes this.
  15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Unfortunately, a very visible, very expensive cabinet, that I don't want to modify in any way.

16. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Same here. Mine is solid wood and just has a gap in the back for cables.

astrohip likes this.
  17. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Gap in the back also, but mounted against the wall, so not visible.

18. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I can understand not wanting to perforate a fine wood cabinet.
    RE: The replacement fans mentioned in this thread.
    I would be surprised if either lowers the internal temperature of your TiVo.

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would stick a small thermometer behind the TiVo overnight and see the internal cabinet ambient temperature. You will never go below that without getting cooler air inside.

20. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I only mentioned the 2 degree lower temp in the Roamio OTA with the new Weaknees fan as an anecdotal remark.

2 degrees difference at the MB between two units is insignificant and can be the result of the fact that I air dusted the open Roamio when replacing the fan and the never been opened Roamio is dusty inside. There was dust on the inside around the fan and on the MB.

Could also be a difference in design of the fan blade or difference in rpm of the Weaknees fan versus the OEM noisy fan.

Anyone whose operating temp of their TiVo that is significantly higher than the reported norms should take steps to remedy that because HEAT is an efficient killer of electronics.

There are options to mitigate the heat. Some easy and some not so neat. Choose what's best for your installation but DO IT!