Weak signal - too many splitters. In-line amplifier(s) help?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tivocat99, Jun 27, 2006.

1. tivocat99

tivocat99 It's the beach!

Apr 30, 2004
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

OK, I live in an ancient apartment that has one cable outlet, in the living room. The cable installer put a splitter there from the cable outlet back into the antenna outlet, to enable me to utilize the antenna outlet in another room as a cable outlet. (Hope that description made sense). There is a digital cable box in the LR. In that second room there is then another splitter from there so I have cable (no box, with S2 TiVo) in that second room as well as cable Internet. They won't install additional outlets in the secondary rooms. So it's a jacked-up install/setup, but it was working just fine. Might have affected my cable internet speeds somewhat, but not so much as I'd notice.... and it didn't seem to negatively affect my cable TV picture/reception.

Well, I got a spiffy DT TiVo in the living room now, which of course requires yet another splitter! It works for the most part, but there are two new issues that are undoubtedly related to this setup... (1) when I'm watching TV through the DT TiVo in the LR, on the non-box tuner, anything with a primarily white background screws the signal up... the picture flutters/waves real bad, and I get a "no signal" message on the screen (even though I have a wavy picture I can see)... it does it when watching live TV and when recording on that tuner... it's annoying, but I can live with it temporarily if I have to... but then the other problem (2) is that I now frequently can't get online on the Internet... I'm quite sure this is directly due to the weakened input signal.

As I said, they can't/won't install any additional outlets, so I'm stuck with this setup until at least November, when my lease is up and I can move. Are there any kind of in-line amplifiers I can use that might help? If so, where would I buy them?

Thanks! Any ideas greatly appreciated.

2. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Is the new splitter between the cable input and the original splitter or after the original splitter between it and your LR TV? In the first case your new splitter is probably not suitable for cable internet use.

If it's the second case the new splitter shouldn't be affecting cable internet so check for lose connections.

Have you considered not using the splitter and only watching live TV through the DT Tivo?

3. tivocat99

Apr 30, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    The new splitter is after the original splitter off the cable input and before the TV/DT TiVo... it's the one that came packaged with the TiVo. No loose connections... checked & rechecked. :(

If I don't use the splitter, it defeats the purpose of having a DT TiVo.... and I'll lose 5 months' worth of the year of service it came with. If it turns out there's no fix for my situation, I guess I have to deal with that.

4. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Sorry missed the part about the STB in the LR. I now understand why you need the new splitter. Have you tried the DT without the STB and splitter just to see if the problem is the DT? or the splitter wihtout the DT to see if it's a faulty splitter?

Othwerwsie you need soemthing like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTROLINE-1-P...itemZ5848521943QQcategoryZ39803QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTROLINE-2-P...itemZ5849740673QQcategoryZ39803QQcmdZViewItem

5. Georgia Guy

Georgia Guy Early Adapter

Feb 21, 2003
    Atlanta

Advertisements

Another vote for the Electroline splitter-amplifiers. I've used 2 of them (on different systems) in the last few months, and they work very well.

6. tivocat99

Apr 30, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks guys. Will check those out.

7. rjmitche

rjmitche Member

Dec 30, 2004
    I've been looking into drop amps as well.

I believe that the following are the "direct" sites for the e-bay seller above:

http://www.cabletvamps.com (Electroline products)
    http://www.broadbandamps.com (Viewsonic products)

Note: this is not an endorsement or recommendation for these sites/seller as I have yet to purchase anything from them. They do seem to be fairly responsive to the questions I have asked them via e-mail.

8. Georgia Guy

Georgia Guy Early Adapter

Feb 21, 2003
    Atlanta
    I bought my 4 port drop amps HERE

If you go to the home page you can find a 10% discount coupon number.