We Need a Better Guide

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timstack8969, Jun 14, 2011.

1. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    Comcast is introducing their latest Onscreen Guide called "Xfinity Spectrum" which doesn't look that bad. I would like to TIVO GUIDE upgraded also.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have no idea what that is.. you're being vague.. What's wrong with the existing guide and how would you fix it (specifically)?

I mostly use the listing guide (not the grid guide).. viewing by channel.. and while it could definitely be made to fit more stuff on the screen, it mostly works well.

3. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
  4. rugbyfan45

rugbyfan45 New Member

Jun 13, 2011
    I've always thought of myself as pretty tech savvy, but to me the new Comcast thing looks like overkill. I don't need apps on my TV. Just TV is fine! I've always liked TiVo for keeping high functionality simple and elegant. Anything more seems like clutter!

5. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    My TV has apps, my tivo has apps, my BRP has apps and my cell phone has apps, and after all the crap comcast PQ is still going to suck.

6. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I agree!

7. Krandor

Krandor Active Member

Jun 9, 2004
  8. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I have to say that the guide, both the TiVO and TV Guide grid, is the only thing I can really say that I truly dislike or fell is really inferior about TiVo. I don't like how both guides cover up just about the entire screen and obscure what's on or how I have to stop the action and go through the cumbersome process and of accessing the extended info for original air date (very important to me) and episode number. That information is displayed on the info on Dish DVR's without having to leave what you are viewing.

No question that back in 1999 and a few years after that, the TiVo and TV Guide EPG was a good enough design, but NOT for the last several years. It seems every other DVR maker has improved or updated their guide, but NOT TiVo.

Agreed. A new guide can go a long way to making a new model worth the upgrade. A new guide would certainly have enhanced the Premiere experience and made a lot of people feel a little better about dealing with some of the headaches of the Premiere. Of course, I would gladly trade a new guide for at least just ONE more tuner to record.

9. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    I would also like to see what I'm watching when I bring up the TIVO guide like they have done with the MAIN MENU with "Live TV" still being shown in the right hand upper corner.

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    A much better idea would be to simply eliminate the guides altogether. They serve no real purpose, are completely unnecessary, and represent nothing but a waste of time for the user. Other than for testing purposes (or when I accidentally hit the #$$!@$# guide button), I haven't used any guide in over 11 years. Why would I waste my time?