We got a NEW HD TV...now what?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by susu12, Jan 18, 2006.

1. susu12

susu12 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Hello everyone!
    I have Tivo on two TV's in my house and love it. Indispensible! We got our new HD TV and it looks like ka-ka because my HD Digital cable box can't output component to my Tivo, only S-video! :eek:
    Tivo box nicely has component output to TV so DVD's look great, but TV signal is only as good as S-video. :(
    I've been looking and looking but I can't seem to find one of two things:

Either a new Tivo box with component input OR

New Tivo box with cable card that will unscramble/decode all the digital cable signal coming in from the wall.

Anyone know of either beast? :confused:

Thanks!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Search here for information about the new Tivo Series 3 DVRs just announced at the Consumer Electronics Show. Should be available later this year.

3. susu12

susu12 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I did see something about that. When I called Tivo though they couldn't give me any specifics on whether it would have component IN or not. I understand it has a cable card and theoretically would be able to convert all my digital HD "in" signal out, but they couldn't tell me when "later" this year it would be out. Does anyone know of anything available NOW?

4. gfb107

gfb107 New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Cary, NC, USA
    Did you see this thread with links to pictures (including the rear connectors) and lots of discussion about why it won't have component, DVI, or HDMI inputs? In fact, it doesn't have any A/V inputs at all, just a coax for antenna and a coax for cable.

The S3 will replace your HD cable box. It will not be used like the currect S2s where it records the output of a cable box.

5. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    It won't have component in because it won't encode HD video.
    It merely saves the digital cable stream directly to disk.

... and excepting DVRs that your cable company might offer, there's no solutions out now for cable. (DirecTV offers the HR10-250 and Dish Network has the 942, both of which are HD DVRs.)

H