WD30EFRX Default Power Down?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JoeKustra, Mar 15, 2019.

1. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have two basic Roamio boxes, both bought recently with normal 500GB drives. I changed both to 3TB. One was done months ago and one is fairly new. One runs TE3 and one TE4. I also have two Roamio boxes with 1TB and 3TB green drives.

Neither new box gets much use and one (TE4) is put into Standby. When I access either Roamio with the red drives, there is a delay if they have been idle for a while (hours). I'm curious if they are shipped with power down enabled. I could just buy another one to test, but since each of the drive is about 50% full of movies, I'd like to get some feeling if it is the drive and I should I look moving the programs then running the WD diags? When it was just TE4 I blamed TE4. But with TE3 now having the same issue, I don't want to blame the software (for this anyway). Thanks.

2. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Do they have a buffer of livetv ?

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    That's normal for Red drives if there's no activity for several minutes. There's a program (wd5741) that you can use to modify the load/unload time but you can't disable it altogether. Just turn off power saving on the TiVo, and the Live TV buffer will keep it awake.

Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

JoeKustra likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's just it: neither has power saving enabled. Both are buffering their four inputs. I need to work on this more. It just seemed that the two red drives took 3-5 seconds to show their programs and the two green drives never do that. I was content to blame TE4 until I changed the new TE3 unit. There are no switches involved. I'll connect my Kill-A-Watt to one and see if power use changes. At the minimum, it keeps the boredom away.

jth tv likes this.
  5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I have a Bolt and 3 Roamios, some with factory drives and others with anywhere from 4-8 TB Red drives. They're all a bit sluggish each morning when I hit the TiVo button for the first time, but I don't think it's related to drive spin-down issues because they never stop spinning. I think that's just normal behavior, and I attribute it to slight delays in phoning home for the first time in several hours.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thanks. For now I'll just watch & wait. Maybe something will change. TE3 still has the "Standby bug", so in some alternative universe it could get fixed.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    It could be your internet connection at the location of the Tivos that are experiencing slowness especially if you are using wifi. Have you tried relocating the Tivos to see if the issue remains at the same location on a Tivo that previously was not experiencing the issue?

8. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    This morning, when I viewed the list of recorded episodes for a series, a Roamio basic sat there for about 1 second and then a showed a spinning blue circle for maybe 2 seconds. I don't know why Roamio insists on contacting TiVo.com for every little thing, but is annoying.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Location 1 is one green and one red, both wired to my router. Location 2 is one red and one green, both using the same wireless bridge. I have moved the boxes, changed the cables and wireless channels and changed the router. It is not a 100% failure either. I never use Standby on hosts. One red is using TE4. It's not the "Standby bug" where an NPL SD displays after a BSC. It only takes a few seconds and, like I said, the unit has to be "idle" for a few hours.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Did you swap power supplies too?

JoeKustra likes this.