WD My DVR Expander ESATA Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Gecko4639, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Gecko4639

Gecko4639 New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I have a TivoHD and I'm thinking of adding the WD My DVR Expander to it. I've seen in these forums a lot of people suggesting that the ESATA cable included with the Expander is garbage and that a better cable should be used instead.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been able to use the cable included with the Expander successfully? Is it always faulty, or does it sometimes work?

Is it even worth trying to see if the included cable works, or will I have problems with it down the road even if it seems to work fine upon set-up?

2. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I have had five expanders without any problems with either the drives or the included eSATA cables. I did have a problem with the power adapter/cord on one - but that was a result of a pit bull puppy thinking it was a chew toy.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have used one each of the original 500GB & 1TB versions. No issues at all.

The newer 1TB version seems to be even better as there a very few complaints about it.

But you could do a 2TB internal drive upgrade for even less $$s.

Good Luck,

4. TrueEddie

TrueEddie Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I've had a 500GB for two years now, I used the included cable and have had no problems.

5. Gecko4639

Gecko4639 New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Thank you all for the responses. From the other posts in this forum, it seemed like everyone had problems with the included cable. But if people don't have problems they usually don't make a point of saying anything about it, which is why I wanted to check.

I'll give the included cable a shot before I try a different one. Thanks again!

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The problem was with the original S3 648 w/OLED. Those do, indeed, need better cable than the OEM provided.

7. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Does the supplied eSATA cable seem to fit fairly firmly on to the drive & more importantly the Tivo? I'm not a big fan of any cables that don't fit slightly tight! What a garbage fit most (have'nt tried them all) USB cables have! What designer thought that some us would feel confidence in using USB cables when they don't even have the structural integrity to not freely move around in the connection. Who designed that connector Fisher Price ? I can't remember the last time I used the supplied cable that came with something. Wow, what a concept!(Not that I'm tempted to start trying them)

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have been using the OEM eSATA cable that came with my first generation 1TB WD external drive with my original Series 3 for over a year no problems. There may have been more issues with the 500 GB WD external eSATA drive - which was the first support external drive. I did use one of those with a TiVo HD for 2.5 years with the OEM eSATA cable with no issues. My memory (which may be fuzzy) was that people were having trouble with OEM eSATA cables from some cases/drives that people were buying to use with the original Series 3 when it support pretty much any eSATA case/drive.

Thanks,

9. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Why does it matter if you're not going to use it?

FWIW, it fits securely on mine.

Personally, I assess each cable on its own merits. The quality of the included cable definitely varies from product to product.

10. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I had to replace the cable that came with mine about 6 months in, as it wasn't a snug fit. I bought one form Micro Center (nothing special, just whatever e-sata cable they were selling) and its worked like a charm for the last 3+ years.

11. Gecko4639

Gecko4639 New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I used the included cable and set up went without a hitch. So far everything seems to be working just fine with it. Thanks again for all your input.

12. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    It's a phenomena of internet forums to turn a small problem into a seemingly larger one. Threads can state repeatedly how this or that sucks, but in reality, it may be small percentage of total users. Those without that particular issue either don't post or are hesitant to debate an issue with those with problems. Most threads tend to find fault with something.

Generally, the bad is never as bad as it looks, but the good is also never quite as good as it looks.