WD Expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by brbakr, Feb 15, 2012.

1. brbakr

brbakr New Member

Feb 12, 2012

Advertisements

My first post here, so hello to everyone.
    My wife wanted a way to record TV shows, so I bought her a Tivo for Christmas.
    I finally got around to installing it this past Monday. Now that I have, I wish I didn't wait so long.
    Anyway I was in Best Buy yesterday and they had the WD dvr expander on clearance, they had one left and I picked it up.

I came here, and on the internet to read up on it and I read somewhere that they are not being produced any longer.
    If this is true what are the options for the 2 year warranty in case something happens to it in the future? if any.
    Also, given this is it still a decent buy at half the regular price?

Thanks for your time and input:)
    Bruce

2. arizon

arizon New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Tucson, Arizona
    I got my first TPXL in April 2010 and installed a WD expander at the same time. I have not had any problems with the expander itself. However, I have had issues with older 14.x software not always recognizing the expander, requiring multiple reboots. Since the 20.2 software was released, I have not experienced that problem so far.

--Arizon

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    There are two different sizes, which did you get? The 500 GB unit is no longer produced, but as far as I know the the 1 TB unit was not stopped from production. I don't see it on the tivo site, so I'm wondering if it is simply a short term victim of the hard drive shortage.

Half price of of what?

4. brbakr

brbakr New Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I'm sorry, I got the 1TB and I paid $69.00

Bruce

5. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I'm, pretty sure that you will still be covered the entire two years. WD is very good when it comes to warranties based on my past experience with them. Here's the real question -Is the warranty two years from the date of manufacture or the sale date?

I would think that it would be the date of sale just as long as you pre-registered the Expander or if you could produce a valid sales receipt at the time of repair.

You could probably could get clarification on this from WD's website or by shooting them an email.

6. arizon

arizon New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Tucson, Arizona
    At that price and the current disk drive shortage due to the Thailand flooding, I would bet that a lot of them are being bought for just the drive itself. :eek:

--Arizon

7. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    From the WD Warranty registration site:
    By default, the warranty date is calculated from the manufacture date. However, if you have proof of purchase, we can update the warranty to calculate it from the purchase date. If you feel that the warranty date needs to be updated from the purchase date, please follow the instructions below.

1. Send us an email from this link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php
    2. Put in "Update warranty" in the subject line.
    3. Attach a picture or a scanned copy of your purchase receipt (jpg, jpeg, or gif formats only, max 500KB)
    4. Send the email.

Once we receive the email, we will verify the information and update the warranty accordingly. You will receive a response from us about the status of your email.

WD Warranty Check for End User
    http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/...455&custtype=end&requesttype=warranty&lang=en

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You made out like a bandit.

However, let me suggest that you use that thing connected to a computer for storage instead and upgrade the internal drive in the TiVo to something bigger.

If you have one drive in the TiVo and it fails you lose the recordings on it, but...

When you attach an external drive to the TiVo, in order to keep the content providers happy, it splits up each recording across both drives, so the failure of either means the loss of the recording.

Adding a second drive means the chance of a drive failing doubles.

Also, those external drives are notorious for having problems with the data cable that connects them to the TiVo, even though the cable is just sitting there, not moving around, and this often leads to corruption of the drives from which it's not always possible to recover and a hassle to do so even if it is.

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I agree with Unitron here on all counts. I may need to stop by my local best buy to look for this, a fantastic deal even before the hard drive shortage.

10. LDLDL

LDLDL Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Brookhaven, PA
    Oh thanks so much for this information as I thought my external hard drive went. The 1TB drive isn't even six months old and as of last night, it wasn't recognized. Lost a lot of shows, but this was the bedroom DVR and not the main one. I'm going to disconnect the cable from the other DVR and see if it will work. That way I will know if it is the cable. Will post after I find out.

11. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    I wouldn't mess with a working Tivo/HD setup! Before you do that, just try unplugging and plugging in the cable on the misbehaving hard drive/DVR combo (with both powered off of course!) a few times, then power up the external HD and then the Tivo and see how it goes.

Also, your eSATA cable should go in almost a good half an inch - I had to trim the plastic around the end that went into the Tivo for the first cable I had. There was an obvious difference from the cable plugging into the external drive to the back of the Tivo, and I had a few lockups and issues until I trimmed the cable so it would seat better into the Tivo. A few minutes with a sharp razor blade to carefully remove some extra plastic (from the cable, not the Tivo!) made all the difference in the world - the cable seats much deeper and it's noticeably more stable.

12. LDLDL

LDLDL Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Brookhaven, PA
    It's not the cable!!! However, I've noticed that the new software is acting very odd. When Tivo reboots, I don't get the cartoon in the beginning, the menus are transparent. In other words, when I go to settings, I can see the program that is on. When I'm on a station and hit rewind, the Tivo emblem on the left is missing. I guess I will call Tivo this evening.

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    No, it's usually the connectors on the ends of the cable.:)

As for the lack of backgrounds (which is something I'd like to be able to toggle on or off), I've seen that on S1s and S2s, and sometimes it's temporary, like the TiVo couldn't find it in time to put it up and decided not to bother with it.

14. logicman

logicman Member

Sep 14, 2005
    It appears WD discontinued the My DVR Expander and replaced it with the My Book AV. Although the product page doesn't specifically mention compatibility with TiVo units it states: My Book AV has both USB 2.0 and eSATA interfaces so your drive is compatible with most DVRs and other AV devices.

The WD web site says the My Book AV is out of stock, but clicking the Where to buy link lists a number of internet stores that claim to have it in stock.

15. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    The product card for the WDBABT0010HBK (My Book AV) shows a Tivo Verified logo on it.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/AAG/ENG/4178-705115.pdf

16. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
  17. LDLDL

LDLDL Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Brookhaven, PA
    Technical Support for Tivo is not my friend at this moment.... They couldn't explain why I am getting transparent menus. I go to my to do list, and I see what is playing on the tuner! The tech I spoke with had no clue. Now, my thoughts are to return my box to Amazon for another one. Or, keep what I have and upgrade the drive to a 2TB. That way I can use the expander for an external drive on my computers. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

18. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    You need to find out what's wrong before you consider upgrading the box. I can't imagine how your "transparent menus" problem could be related to an external hard drive. It would surely be caused by a defect in the TiVo hardware or (conceivably, depending on how they handle video feeds) by a glitch in the TiVo software. Does anybody know whether the software could cause this problem?

19. LDLDL

LDLDL Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Brookhaven, PA
    The tech knew nothing. I'm figuring that it has to be the software. Why would all of a sudden Tivo would stop recognizing the expander. It's new and I bought it the same time I got the Premier (October 2011). You know what? It has a USB port. I'm going to take it and connect it up to my computer and see if it is recognized. I'll post back. Meanwhile, I did start a new post about the transparent menu as this is driving me crazy and can't understand why the Tivo people don't know why it's happening. They better get their act together or else I WILL stop capitalizing their name!!!! In the future I will mention.... tivo ....

20. LDLDL

LDLDL Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Brookhaven, PA
    Well the Tivo techs did get something right.... it's the expander!!!!! My computer won't recognize it! I guess I have to send it back, only this time it will be used as an external drive on my computer for movies!!!!!