WD 8TB drives, Red, Purple, Gold

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tommage1, Dec 20, 2017.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

Which is best to use in a Tivo? Due to the sales on those externals that have Reds can get Reds and Purples and even Golds at ebay for $150-170 (refurbs on Purples and Golds). Purple and Golds I've seen have 128 cache, not 256. Anyone used a Purple or a Gold?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    What TiVo? For Roamios I would say new Reds or Purples would be just fine. Stay away from 7200RPM drives.

3. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The differences are in things like /cache/buffer sizes and spindle speed. For example. If you are doing a lot of read/writing of common data then you might want a bigger cache in the hopes that your desired data might happen to be in the cache. Other uses might benefit from high spindle speeds.

I just take their word for it that Video DVR drives (maybe purple??) is the best mix.

4. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yeah makes sense Purple might be best since an AV type drive. Would be for a Roamio though perhaps a Premiere. Bolt would have to do the surgery on the case etc. The Gold does have the highest TB per year rating though. I've seen people say not to run 7200 RPM drives in Tivos, because of heat issues? I do have a 7200 in one of mine, no problems yet though not constantly recording on that one. Am still wondering if anyone has actually used a Gold or Purple for a good amount of time. I'd like the drive that should last the longest coupled with working fine of course.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

Has an 8TB drive been successfully tested? Last I heard 6TB was the max - but that may have changed.

6. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Personally, I think using a 8TB drive of any color in a TiVO is just asking for trouble.

More to loose at once a lot quicker

7. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I originally bought an 8TB Red, but after thinking about my needs, I decided to return it for a 3TB Red instead.

450 hours of content is already a lot of content to sift through... I can't even imagine navigating a 1,200 hour Now Playing List... If I have 450 hours of content, I need to force myself to do some pruning...

I used the money I saved to upgrade my daughter's MacBook Pro to an SSD. It feels like I was able to do this upgrade for free as a result of my decision (even though I know it's not)... ;)

steve_scifi and foghorn2 like this.
  8. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I did the same, returned the 8tb external at BB that was ready to be extracted, but returned it for a 3TB.
    I have other boxes with 3 and its perfect.

MikeekiM likes this.
  9. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    LOL... I bought the same 8TB external hard drive with the intent of shucking the drive!

Great minds... ;)

Honestly...I really thought about it... Used to be in the old VHS days, I would have a few "junk tapes" that I would record my TV shows on for later viewing... I'd use the slowest speed so that I could get 8 hours on each tape... 450 hours is already the equivalent of over 50 of those "junk tapes"!!! The 8TB drive would be the equivalent of 150 of those same "junk tapes"!

foghorn2 likes this.
  10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I've got an 8TB WD white label WD80EMAZ running in my Roamio OTA. I like the extra space because it allows many more suggestions to record. So far so good.

11. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have running a 6TB drive in my Roamio Pro for quite a while now with no issues and I stay around the 50% free space mark. 8TB drives were $280 at the time so they were cost prohibitive. Otherwise, I would have definitely gone bigger.

12. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Even more if you record SD shows, thousands of hours. 3TB drives are great, cheap for new. So cheap can almost pull and copy the drive to another occasionally in case of a failure. I like to record entire series of some old shows. Can fit quite a few on a 3TB. Still would be fun to put an 8TB into one of my Roamios one of these days, I kept my shucked drive from that external. I wonder what the actual number of HD hours is on a 3TB drive now? For cable at least, since they now compress everything except the network channels. 1 hour HD shows used to be like 4-7GB per hour, now more like 1.x-2GB. 450 hours uncompressed would be a lot more with the compressed stations which is pretty much all cable only channels.