WD 1TB My DVR Expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cbrofm, Mar 28, 2011.

1. cbrofm

cbrofm New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

I just got a new WD 1TB expander. Not trying to do any of the fancy things I see here, just want the DVR to work with it.

Series 3HD: Connect the drive, the system sees it, asks if I want to set it up. Go through set up, wait through the restart (can we nuke that dog?), and 5 minutes later, system sees it, asks if I want to set it up, etc. etc. The very definition of an endless loop.

So went through the short version of the SMART drive test, both drives pass.

Get onto Chat with Tech Support. The answer: Yeah we've heard there are issues with the 1TB. You should have gotten the 500. :mad:

Mention that THEY sell them and imply they work on the TiVo website. Answer: Yes we do. Better contact WD.

Yeah, lots of help. WD, who, of course has customer service hours that are long past PDT and zilch to help on their website.

So, I have faith that one of you great techies out there might have an idea that doesn't involve violence.

Please help! Thanks for listening. :D

2. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Is the for the Series 3 648 or TiVo HD 652. I know you attempted to clarify that in your post, but "Series3HD" is still no quite definitive.

My point is that if it is the Series 3 648 (w/OLED), then there is a know issue with the eSATA cables that come with most of the HDD's and it won't function properly. If this is your case, then do a search and find the name or part number of the proper eSATA cable for the Series 3 that does work, but I can't recall it. You can get the eSATA cable the S3 needs at Amazon. That could solve your problem if it is a Series 3 648.

Also, is this the latest WD My Book AV DVR Expander released June 2010 that is all black with only a pin-point of a light? If so, those latest models have been reported to be working far better than the earlier WD DVR Expander, but if you don't have the proper eSATA cable for the S3, it may not work properly anyway.

3. cbrofm

cbrofm New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for the quick answer. My Series 3 is a 652. And no, it appears that it's the previous version of the expander with the target shaped light on the front. I'll try the cable, if it doesn't work, I'll trade it back for the new version.

I appreciate the help.

4. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    So you have a TiVo HD. The expander should work with provided eSATA cable and does not require the higher quality eSATA cable the S3 does.

UHHHG! Yes, the lights like a target is the previous version of the DVR expander and is known to be a POS. Those things had been dying very early, within a year or 18 months and are problems. This forum is littered with negative, frustrating posts about that Expander, some like yours.

I think your problem is the model of DVR Expander. It was a turkey. I don't think the eSATA cable is going to solve your problem, but I'm sure you want to try the cheaper option before just accepting the DVR expander you have for some other use. The CSR was right in saying that model has known issues. The higher quality eSATA cable is a solution for the original Series 3 648 w/OLED. I hope you can trade in the old Expander for the replacement model. The best of luck to you.