WD 1TB HD WD10EVCS for $87.5 after 30% cashback

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by a4cab03, Nov 28, 2008.

1. a4cab03

a4cab03 New Member

Oct 20, 2008

Advertisements

Hi All,

Just want to share a great deal on one of the most highly rated 1TB HD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...search/search.dll?&satitle=400010882732&fvi=1

It's $125 shipped (plus tax for CA, NY, MA, TN). But you can get 30% cashback from microsoft live.com.
    Total after cashback would be $87.5 if you're not from CA,NY,MA and TN.
    It's about $97.5 for me since I'm from California.

I don't know how long the 30% cashback would last so I would jump on it as soon as possible.

For details on the cashback visit the link below, courtesy of SD:
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1044322

Eric

Attached Files:

2. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    Thanks for the info. The cashback process was a bit confusing, but I got it to work.

$100 for this drive is a steal.

3. Stylin

Stylin Stylish Jane Sixpack

Dec 31, 2004
    NYC
    yes, finally signed up/learned how to do live cb.
    Thanks for posting! Hopefully will work well with my S3

4. Dec 1, 2008 #4 of 26
    MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Redmond, WA
    Thanks, OP! I bit on this too. As others have noted, the purchase process was somewhat convoluted, but the net price was just too good to pass up for a drive that's so well-regarded around here as an upgrade drive for an S3 or THD.

5. Dec 1, 2008 #5 of 26
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the tip on the drive! I actually used the www.live.com cash back offer to not only buy another WD10EVCS 1TB drive (saving $39), but I picked up a brand new Mac Mini and saved another $180! :up:

I freaked out for a short while because my cash back account didn't show in my account for a couple of hours and I thought I was going to have to arm wrestle them for it. It's there now though...phew. It says they'll deposit it in 59 days. IIRC someone on another thread said that they were able to get the funds in a few days. :confused: Well, even if I have to wait, it's worth it.

In this time of belt-tightening "I can't afford to save so much" as they say, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get Bill Gates to give me about $220 to buy and upgrade a Mac. Ha! :D

6. Dec 1, 2008 #6 of 26
    rickwagner50

rickwagner50 New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Just bought one of these on Newegg for $99 with free shipping. WOO HOO

7. Dec 1, 2008 #7 of 26
    steinercat

steinercat New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Newegg has the EVCS? Sure about that?

8. Dec 1, 2008 #8 of 26
    talkingtiki

talkingtiki New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I've been looking on newegg and they don't appear to have the EVCS.

9. Dec 1, 2008 #9 of 26
    MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Redmond, WA
    My guess would be that he is erroneously referring to the WD10EACS, which is available on NewEgg for $99 plus free shipping.

Certain sub-models of the WD10EACS are known to have issues when installed as an internal drive on an S3 (though they work fine as an external drive on an S3 or as either an internal or external drive on a THD).

10. rickwagner50

rickwagner50 New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Oops, you are right. It is a WD10EACS. Hopefully, that will work OK in my HD TIVO as an internal drive replacement.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Newegg had them for $95 shipped on Friday. their normal price is $99 shipped.

12. bloozeman

bloozeman New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My sentiments exactly except I had Uncle Bill save me $46 towards a pre-formated and tuned 1TB WD10EVCS from an eBay seller which put my total cost at roughly $28 more than the raw drive deal you guys got. Considering I'd have to invest that much in SATA-to-USB adapters to deal with the raw drive given that my old PC is a generation prior to SATA (but still runs Quicken like a champ :cool:) and my MacBook Pro and high-end work Dell laptops are in the same boat it was a no brainer. :) Not sure what I'm going to pick up next but as long as Bill is willing to subsidize some things I planned on buying anyway I'm game!

On a side note I read somewhere that the rate of funding for the cash back depends on the actual merchant, e.g., the big guys like Buy.com are likely to be instantaneous vs. the smaller merchants.

13. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    The WD10EACS will work fine as an internal upgrade for your TiVo HD.

14. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Hope you're right...the mac was from a big e-bay seller, but not on the scale of buy.com. Although the cash back credit for the 1TB hard drive from buy.com and an Apple Care Protection Plan from another vendor aren't even showing yet. live.com web site says it may take a few days. Let's hope so.

Guess we should send Uncle Bill a thank you note. ;)

15. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Maybe yes, and maybe no. The MFSLive forum has a 12 page thread documenting issues using this drive inside a S3 and TivoHD. http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=438&start=165&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I'd spend the extra few dollars and use one of the drives Spike (winMFS author) suggests.

I'm not sure I'd purchase a hard drive on ebay. I'd wonder if the drive was an OEM drive with a limited (if any) WD provided warranty.

I hope the OP isn't related to the ebay seller.

16. steinercat

steinercat New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    That drive on ebay is from the ebay storefront of buy.com and carries the manufacturer's warranty.

17. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like a good deal, even if you don't qualify for 30% cashback.

18. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    The thread, properly titled "WD 1TB Green Drive, S3 Stuck on "Powering UP"" is focused on Series3's. (Perhaps you noticed my presence on that thread as well?) A couple of posts regarding TiVo HD's are centered around things other than the soft reboot problem experienced by Series3's and are usually the result of the OP's upgrade mistakes or problems with an individual TiVo HD, not the drive itself (unless the drive was defective).

To date the WD10EACS has been working without issue as hard drive upgrades in TiVo HD's for over a year for many people here as documented in the Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion sticky thread. As noted previously that particular drive does NOT work as internal hard drive upgrade in TiVo Series3's. It will however work as an eSATA drive for both models.

As you suggest, the newer WD10EVCS is a fine drive for both models (the same model I also purchased on eBay from buy.com's store front). :up:

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've had no problems with my WD10EACS in my two Series 3 boxes. I've been using them since they were first available.

20. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    from Spike (author of winMFS) http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=687

While most of the issues seem to be with the S3 I'd spend the extra few $$ for one of the drives suggested by the author of winMFS. I'm not even sure you can purchase EACS for less then the 87.50 price listed in the OP.