WBBM Chicago Outage on OTA Roamios

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by doug60430, May 25, 2020.

1. doug60430

doug60430 New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Chicago...
    I live is South suburban Chicago and have two Roamio OTA TiVos

Last week the Willis Tower on which the antenna for WBBM (2-1) and others was flooded and went off the air. Service was restored on Friday afternoon and I was able to access WBBM.

Friday evening, one of my TiVos got a "Channel List Has Changed (M62)" with "2 WBBM" being deleted. At that point, I was unable to watch WBBM (2-1) on that Tivo (Searching for a signal on this channel. (V52)) The other TiVo got the message Saturday afternoon and WBBM was unavailable on that TiVo also.

I am able to watch WBBM (2-1) on my Roku TVs and my Tablo DVR not connected to my TiVos. I have re-scanned the channels, verified the channels, repeated Guided Setup, and power-cycled the TiVos to no avail.

I chatted with a TiVo rep yesterday and all I got was suggestions to retry what I had already done.

Any suggPlease fix this problem?

2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    CBS is coming in on 2-1 BUT there are two 2-1 now, on Tivo. The one that works (and the one it is supposed to be) is frequency 12. The one that does not work is frequency 32 (which is the one that shows guide info on Tivo). During the outage somehow Tivo changed the guide info to the 32 frequency. Your rescan should show both 2-1, until Tivo gets it fixed you can record the frequency 12 channel manually. Or CBS can be found on 48-3 with guide info. You need to go in to your channels, uncheck the 2-1 32 frequency CBS (which is not working but has guide info), check on the frequency 12 CBS (which has no guide info) and do manual recordings for now. Or check on the 48-3 which is CBS and has guide info. If you have any CBS shows setup to specifically record on 2-1 you need to change it to 48-3 for the Tivo to find them. Make sure you uncheck the 2-1 which shows on frequency 32 for now or it will attempt to record that channel for CBS which will not work.

I was afraid this was going to happen during the power outage. CBS was moved to a Fox channel (32-4) temporarily. Tivo must changed it's channel info even though the outage was temporary.

Note, after your rescan the frequency 12 2-1 will have a "*" next to it. That is the one you need to check on to do those manual recordings (it will not have guide info). You need to uncheck the 2-1 without the "*". Also can check on the 48-3 if your antenna picks it up, that one does have the correct guide info (as it did before the power outage, they did not screw that one up)

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  3. doug60430

doug60430 New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Chicago...

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

4. Mister B

Mister B Member TCF Club

Jan 23, 2011
    El Paso...
    This got me to thinking. The channel list used to show the real frequency Rf and it seems" tommage1" still can see that information. My channel list only shows the virtual channels and the call letters. The only places I can see the real channel number with my Bolt 500gb is while checking the signal strength or in the diagnostics page if one were to convert the KHz to better know channel assignments.

tommage1 likes this.
  5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    You are correct, the channel list itself no longer shows the frequency (that is why I mentioned the "*" being the correct 2-1 to check off, for now, until they fix it). Also correct the way to check is signal strength meter (and/or the diagnostics though I personally use the meter). Signal strength meter is good, start at the lowest channel. Then just keep going channel up one at a time. It will show all channels in the channel list, even if not checked on. You can see frequencies and what comes in and what does not, can then check off or on the channels that actually are viewable.

6. Hoosier Rich

Hoosier Rich New Member

Nov 30, 2015
    NW Indiana
    I submitted a ticket with Tivo Support this morning to report the guide problem with WBBM-TV on frequency 12. Hopefully they will address sooner rather than later.

7. doug60430

doug60430 New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Chicago...
    It looks like channel 2-1 is back. Did a TiVo service connection and then a channel rescan and all is well.

8. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yep. Except on my TE4 Bolt for some reason, the Roamios are fine. Above poster opened a ticket, seems like Tivo fixed it quickly. Chicago area after all, probably got a FEW tickets about the problem? ;)

9. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Interesting, I checked my channel lists yesterday and the actual frequencies are back. The 2-1 32 frequency is gone (as it should be). The 2-1 12 frequency is there and the guide info is back.